Thinking of getting a Wii, got some ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of getting a Wii, got some ?

Well, in maybe about a month I am considering on getting a Wii for my family. I already have a PS3 but it is mainly mine and the wife and kids are really wanting a Wii. My main question I can think of right now is: "Do you have to pay to play online with the Wii?"

What I have from a lot of the games my local Wally World has in stock they are directed more towards younger kids. Seems like a lot of the PS3 games are intended for teenage and older people. My kids probably will not be getting online to play much but for the few games that look interesting to me I may be the one wanting to play online. Also, system updates and such are free, right?

My wife wants to get the kids the Wii Fit Board and some other stuff. Altogether I figured about $500 to $600 I will be spending on getting a Wii and some of the peripherals that goes with it to start off with.

Re: Thinking of getting a Wii, got some ?

From what I have experienced, no, you do not need to pay to play online. I've donm't Guitar Hero III free online with a friend of mine. System updates are also free, though they usually come on game disks (ex. I buy Metriod [insert # here] and the system update comes free with it).

The Wii is alot of fun, I use it to blow off steam from PC gaming or problems. I enjoy it, but without the PS3 or PC to balence it, I wouldn't be a happy gamer. Very fun though!

Comment

Online play is free. Updates are free.

It's very similar to the PS3 in terms of cost for online services. Like PSN games, there are WiiWare (new) and Virtual Console (retro) games available to buy. Since there's no hard drive, you won't see any expansion pack type stuff like on the PSN. (Damn, I wish my kid had never heard of Pain.)

Overall, the games for the Wii tend to be more family oriented. This isn't a bad thing. I highly suggest getting WiiPlay as one of your first purchases, as it comes with a WiiMote. You'll want at least two complete Wiimote/nunchuk setups right off the bat. Get to 4 setups ASAP if you'll regularly have that many people over... Get MarioKart Wii. Everyone loves MarioKart. Bah... Now I'm getting into personal preference.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yeah, online access is free although with the Wii playing against others is a bit more challenging because of the way the 'friend' system is implemented. It's not near as easy to find people to play with in some of the games. Having said that, most of the games we have aren't WiFi-enabled (i.e. online) anyway.

You might consider getting a bundle at somewhere like Walmart since it includes the extra Wiimote and Nunchuck. We just got the basic console and the first thing we bought is a second Wiimote and Nunchuck. The games are much more fun when you can play at least versus each other.

Updates are free. The Wii is definitely geared more for my wife and kids and I can't afford another console at the moment, but it's been a good buy nonetheless. The fact it supports wireless out of the box is a big plus because there is nothing else to buy to go wireless with it.

I just repeated some stuff CD said but I started my reply, got pulled away, and didn't get to actually post it until 20 minutes later. :)

Comment

Don't even worry about online with the Wii. It'll be more expensive to get 4 Wiimote/nunchuk controllers but it's worth it to have everybody in the household playing at the same time. Online gaming isn't the Wii's strong point.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I just gave the Wii Fit for Christmas and the new Shaun White Snow Boarding game..and my 10 yoa daughter loves it.. I like it also...but I Kinda Suck..
            Wii Fit is really neat if only for bragging rights in the home...
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
            ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Wii = best thing ever for my 7-year old..

She does not even look at the 360 anymore..there is also a fitness game thing that has a fold out pad for the controller..she has probably dropped 5 pounds just since xmas morning on the thing playing all the games!!

Wii is definitely the best thing there is for younger kiddos..

Comment

I was actually looking around and found the Wii setup I am wanting. It was at Amazon I think but almost $700. After showing my wife late last night we decided probably about $1,000 to get things going and have a selection of a few games.

I will get serious about looking for a Wii AND a couple HDTV's in about a month.

Comment

Well, I am serious now at looking for a Wii. Should have income tax check Monday. Ticks me off that no local stores around where I live carry the Wii though. I will have to order one off the internet. I probably hit and called every store within a 150 mile radius and none actually carry the console or they can special order it which will take just as long for them to get as it would if I order it myself. If I order it myself at least it will come to my door.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                    Well, I am serious now at looking for a Wii. Should have income tax check Monday. Ticks me off that no local stores around where I live carry the Wii though. I will have to order one off the internet. I probably hit and called every store within a 150 mile radius and none actually carry the console or they can special order it which will take just as long for them to get as it would if I order it myself. If I order it myself at least it will come to my door.
                    EDIT:
                    Put an order in for one just a few moments ago. About $860 for a Wii, Wii Fit, 4 controllers, 3 steering wheels(all my kids will be able to play), charging units for controllers and Wii Fit Board, and the games that you normally get with this equipment. Also got the 2 sports packs: the baseball, tennis, etc. add-ons and whatever games come with it. All together it said 62 games but I know probably 40 are Wii Fit games. Mario Kart as well.
                    So, wife and kids should be happy for a while especially after getting a HDTV, was looking at a Sony Bravia 52" V-series for the living room and a 37" Bravia M-series for the bedroom.

It should take about 5 days for me to get the Wii bundle.

Comment

EDIT:
                      Put an order in for one just a few moments ago. About $860 for a Wii, Wii Fit, 4 controllers, 3 steering wheels(all my kids will be able to play), charging units for controllers and Wii Fit Board, and the games that you normally get with this equipment. Also got the 2 sports packs: the baseball, tennis, etc. add-ons and whatever games come with it. All together it said 62 games but I know probably 40 are Wii Fit games. Mario Kart as well.
                      So, wife and kids should be happy for a while especially after getting a HDTV, was looking at a Sony Bravia 52" V-series for the living room and a 37" Bravia M-series for the bedroom.

Where did you put the order in? I'm looking for a wii as well but haven't found one yet (at a reasonable price).

Ram
                      Last edited by Ramona Myo; 01-20-2009, 05:58 PM.

Comment

EDIT:

You'll come to enjoy it. My parents and my younger brother and sister actually used to play it more than I do. When family and friends come over, it's typically what they ask about first. My parents' and their friends do a lot of Wii Bowling and Mario Party.

Lately I've been playing it more since I started borrowing games from my best friend again. (I forgot that it could play GameCube titles) I just finished up Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, and just started Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn which is an actual Wii title. So I finally get to have some fun too, with less gimmicky games ;)

The ability to play GC titles, in my opinion, really expands the number of games you can play. Especially considering those can be had for relatively inexpensive.
                        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Ramona Myo View Post
                          Where did you put the order in? I'm looking for a wii as well but haven't found one yet (at a reasonable price).

Ram
                          I bought mine "New" from Ebay. http://stores.ebay.com/xpnicepc this is the name of the seller/store. They have all kinds of bundles for different prices. Also, I received mine in 2 days. EXTREMELY fast shipping and handling, they sent me a FedEx tracking # within 20 minutes of making the payment through PayPal. Also they are shipping from MD, since I live in WV it didn't take long but if you live further west I say it may take a day or 2 longer. Still, a FedEx tracking # in 20 minutes, that is awesome from any Ebay store I have ever dealt with. He is definitely getting a high customer rating from me.

Still, wife said we are not allowed to connect it to any TV till we get the living room all set up with the HDTV we bought yesterday. We have some furniture we need to get rid of and a lot of arranging of what we are keeping to make the living room player friendly.

Comment

Dang, did you win the lottery?
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I was happy to get a Wii, and a second controller with WiiPlay, all for about $300.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X