First Look: Gears of War

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Look: Gears of War

In a word, Freaking Awesome. Ok, that's two words, but I can't really stress enough how well the combat system plays out. The storyline is cookie-cutter: I've come to expect that from shooters, but at least it's interesting. And they only give you tid-bits along the way compared to HL2 where you have to go out of your way to figure anything out.

Even on casual (normal) cover is not optional. It's not like Halo on normal where (when you get good enough) you can just melee your way through the game. You just can't take a lot of punishment before going down. And the cover systems is leaps and bounds above the pile of crap that is Perfect Dark Zero. Switching positions is a breeze, diving over obstacles to push forward is great and I love the ability to move sideways while under cover for a flank manuver. Your squadmates will pin down the enemy while you flank to come up from behind.

The combat run is great to. When holding A you will crouch-down and do what I call a "trench run" like what you see in all the WW2 movies, where the camera drops low and bobbles just as much as you do. It really help in the immersion factor of the game.

Oh yea, and the chainsaw bayonet: Aces. Chris would laugh like a maniac everytime I'd used it because gore just sprays EVERYWHERE, including on the camera. And it's not some weak flailing, he puts the chainsaw on the body, then pushes down on the top with his off-hand giving it a realistic "this is how I'd chop someone in half with this weapon" look.

Co-op is handled excellently and with the third-person off-angle view, you really don't lose as much screen space as you did with Halo 1 & 2. Chris and I have been having loads of fun playing through it together.

This game had a lot of hype which turn me off a bit, but it delivers. I suspect a lot more fun to come.

Oh yea, and there's just something funny about hearing "Fenix, FLANK THEM!"

Re: First Look: Gears of War

Thanks for the review! Will pick it up when I go to lunch. I wonder if my wife will try it. She loves to blow me up with rocket launchers, maybe the thrill of eviscerating me with a chain saw will give her joy.

Comment

Finally a game that worth having the 360 and I am seriously considering getting one. :D
      Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Cant wait to try it once I get off work.

Comment

I had a good laugh watching those 12 multiplayer gameplay videos that came out about a week before release. The guys were all using console controllers so they were missing totally easy shots. The guy playing would sneak behind 2 enemies who didn't see him, and he'd open up with a shotgun and miss them both. Then they'd fire back with machineguns, completely missing him, then both sides would give up on shooting and dive for cover :D

Silly console controllers. The game sure looks pretty though. If I had an HDTV and a 360 lying around, I'd be all over this.

Comment

HOLY CRAP! Wow, the graphics are the best I've ever seen. Yes, console controllers suck, but it's worth dealing with them to play this game. I can't believe how good the graphics are yet the frame rate is still very smooth. It took 20 min to get a hang of the controllers, but I'm getting use to them. Yes, a mouse would do wonders for a game like this.

Anyway, if you have a 360, get this game. The split-screen multiplayer is also amazing. The screen is split horizontally and both players have a wide, clear view...unlike other split screens I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Makarov View Post
              HOLY CRAP! Wow, the graphics are the best I've ever seen. Yes, console controllers suck, but it's worth dealing with them to play this game. I can't believe how good the graphics are yet the frame rate is still very smooth. It took 20 min to get a hang of the controllers, but I'm getting use to them. Yes, a mouse would do wonders for a game like this.

Anyway, if you have a 360, get this game. The split-screen multiplayer is also amazing. The screen is split horizontally and both players have a wide, clear view...unlike other split screens I've seen.
              Now I really want a 360 (>_<") because of this game.....
              Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo View Post
                Cant wait to try it once I get off work.
                I have no choice but to wait, as it's not released on till the 17th where i'm located...Bah Humbug!
                Ever get the feeling that the world is a tuxedo and you are a pair of brown shoes

Comment

This is the first Unreal Engine 3 game I presume?

Comment

Originally posted by Paperchase View Post
                    This is the first Unreal Engine 3 game I presume?
                    If you'll pardon the pon, but yes it is unreal on both counts.
                    Ever get the feeling that the world is a tuxedo and you are a pair of brown shoes

Comment

Only 1 hour into it so far, and I must say the game has exceeded my expectations on every level. I just can't get enough of the cover system. Real cover, and you really need it. Like Cliffy B said no more jumping, while strafing, while shooting. Woot! Me and my beer will be all over GOW this weekend.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

It's actually tied for first as the first Unreal 3 Engine game, since Roboblitz came out the same day.

Comment

How the heck do you nagivate http://gearsofwar.com/Emergenceday/

That's got me all freaked out now.
                          |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by calvin View Post
                            How the heck do you nagivate http://gearsofwar.com/Emergenceday/

That's got me all freaked out now.
                            So far, I've just burned through the matches. Then I clicked on indivudual ones left behind to view some video on the background of Gears of War.

Comment

If anyone is interested in some online co-op: give me a buzz.

My Gametag is: TheFeniX

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X