So, I got an XBox 360 for Christmas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I got an XBox 360 for Christmas

So, I got an XBox 360 for Christmas. I really wanted to get a PS3, but I didn't have the spare cash so I went for the 360. I figure that ultimately I wanted to get both anyway, so I started with the 360. It's a family Christmas present so I got a few games that would work for everyone.

So far:
    • Chromehounds
    • Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth II
    • Tony Hawk's Project 8

I know I want to pick up Burnout Revenge and Test Drive Unlimited, but other than that, I'm not sure what to get. I'm not a big fan of FPS games on the console as I feel the contollers are just too clunky and I'm too hung up on PC games when it comes to the FPS world.

I really like consoles for racing games though. Any other genre is pretty much fine as well.

Any good suggestions?

[xbox]TG Apophis[/xbox]
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: So, I got an XBox 360 for Christmas

Test drive was great, but it got a little old after awhile. It had massive island to drive around on, but not really any depth in the cars. Can only upgrade them 3 times. Its pretty fun to play for awhile. Also a cheap title.

Comment

Test Drive is a sure buy. Let it grow on you. You should come on a Saturday drunken drive fest with Scooperman, and I sometime...good times. Like you, I never saw myself playing Fps on a console, but after some practice, I finally have figured it all out. You would be doing yourself a major disservice if you did not give Gears of War a try. IMO, it is the best looking games I have ever played. Of course there is a plethora of sport games to give try, Fight Night was fantastic, and if you look at the line up of titles coming in the new year you can't help but get excited. Most notably...Mass Effect. You have made the right choice, Sony will not be putting out quality titles until next year.

O BTW, don't forget to give some of the arcade games a go. Lot's of fun to be had there.
      Last edited by Usarion; 12-21-2006, 05:41 PM. Reason: Forgot.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

I like Burnout Revenge...I am usually on there alot.
        "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
          I like Burnout Revenge...I am usually on there alot.
          I play a lot of Burnout 3 on the PS2, so I was pretty psyched when I found this today at GameStop for $19 used. Woohoo!

Comment

Originally posted by Usarion View Post
            Test Drive is a sure buy. Let it grow on you. You should come on a Saturday drunken drive fest with Scooperman, and I sometime...good times.
            Count me in!

Comment

Gears of War is amazing...But it and an HDTV...NOW.
              I Am Sparticus, And You Are Mine.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and just try Gears of War. Using the 360 controller for FPS games is not that bad.
                XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

Originally posted by Sparticus View Post
                  Gears of War is amazing...But it and an HDTV...NOW.
                  I have an HDTV. It's what the 360 is connected to.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                    ...I'm not a big fan of FPS games on the console as I feel the contollers are just too clunky and I'm too hung up on PC games when it comes to the FPS world...
                    After starting off my gaming in consoles and going to PC, I have much the same feeling on going back to console FPS's. However, there are certainly a few FPS games, some mentioned, that most any 360 owner would recommend:

Gears of War, is certainly the most recommended.
                    Rainbow Six: Vegas, is a definitely good game to look at (however, I would assume that out of preference you would buy the PC version)
                    Personally, Call of Duty 3 is a fun game, even though, it mostly consists of the "Run'n'Gun" type of play.

As for Racing games:

Test Drive: Unlimited, is probably the most highly recommended (at the moment) and at a $40 pricetag (if I do remember correctly) is a great deal.
                    Project Gotham Racing 3, for its "close to simulation, but not really" type of racing gameplay.

And, although it hasn't been released yet, the very highly anticipated Forza Motorsport 2. Along with the much touted Wireless, Force-Feedback/Rumble Racing wheel, that was developed with this game in mind, it is certainly a Racing game to be reckoned with (when it comes out sometime in Q1 07, of course).

sidenote: I didnt realize that [xbox][/xbox] tags existed until I saw them when I quoted you . Very cool :row__523: .
                    Focused

Comment

I just bought my second 360 today, lol... have my first one connected to my kick butt home entertainment system for playing in the day... Bought a new one today to hook up to my PC system since the wife watches TV at night.

I was like you Apophis in the FPS thinking, till just recently...

I bought sport games and racers only at first. (Madden 07, NHL 07, Tiger Woods 07, and Project 8... also have Burnout Revenge, and waititng for Fonza 2... (getting the MS wireless wheel for xmas)... but then a friend talked me into playing Gears of War... it was difficult at first, but one 4 hour afternoon session, the controls got alot easier... now, with GRAW, R6 Vegas, and CoD3 bought also, FPS'ers on the console is just as easy as with a mouse and keyboard... worth learning... get a live account, and download those demos, that way you can learn on your own...free.)

BTW... the PC version of R6V, has the option to use your MS 360 controller... I'm doing a self test with terrorist hunt maps and taking the average scores using a mouse vs. console controller, then the average of the actual console game vs PC... will be intresting to see how those stats turn out.

Anyway... every Sat. around noon to 4 Eastern a number of TG members get together for online play... want to race or whatever, look me up.
                      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

just remember...

The 360 with a XBL account has...
                        friends list, instant messages, invite to a game, all games have built in teamspeak style comms...

Just so much easier connecting and playing on a 360 compared to the PC... only complaint from me... is the ability to take screens and/or video footage... but I'm working on that right NOW! ;)
                        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Jeez magnum....did you win the freakin lottery? Anyway i recieved a 360 for xmas as well.....got ghost recon for free at best buy and picked up Enchanted Arms as well (though im not shure ill be hanging on to that game for very long....blah)

Comment

If you think FPS's are clunky when it comes to consoles, you're in for some excruciating pain when trying to play BFME 2 on the 360. I downloaded the demo and was once again assured that while playing an FPS on a console is difficult, playing an RTS on one is an exercise in futility.

If you haven't yet open BFME2, I wouldn't. Download the demo off XBLive and try it first. If you can play it, go ahead. I just couldn't get the motions down and to be honest: I didn't want to. It's like playing Unreal Tournament on the PS2: it's painful.

GoW tends to be action-packed, but there's not a lot of jumping around needed to pull off a win on even insane difficulty. The game was built around the Xbox controller, and it plays very well.

Comment

I got a 360 for Christmas as well. I wasn't expecting it at all, but thankfully the missus picked up GoW and it's a lot of fun. Beautiful graphics on the HDTV.

The problem now is getting it online. I'm looking at $200 in hardware (adapter and wireless router). Is it worth it? Or can I hook it up to my 20" Dell LCD which is right next to my cable modem?
                              |TG|Melee
                              Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...