First Look: Guitar Hero 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Look: Guitar Hero 2

You might ask: "what can be said about a direct port of a PS2 game that's been out for months?" I would say: a lot. Mainly because it's not a direct port.

Prologue: Yesterday, I packed up all my old systems as, to be honest, I had kept all the games I said I'd play again, but finally accepted that I never would. So, I made a trip to GameStop sporting my PS2, GC, and Original Xbox. Also included were all my old games and accessories (including BOTH my PS2 guitars).

Needless to say, the guy working the counter was not pleased when I slapped down a bag full of crap to trade in. After testing all three systems, tallying up all the accessories and games, wasting 45 minutes of both our lives, and getting bonus %ages for pre-ordering Halo 3, Mass Effect, and Shadowrun (which is going to suck, but I have to buy it), I came out with over $300 worth the trade-ins. Also note-worthy was the 20+ year old "man" who threw a hissy-fit when they sold another guy in line the last Wii. Grow up, it's just a damn game.

What does all this mean? Well, I was able to buy 2 copies of Guitar Hero 2, Trauma Center: 2nd Opinion (Becky really wanted it, I told her to go for it), and still have $45 left on my GS card. Aces. Anyways, onto the review:

Graphics: Yea, not the most important aspect of this game, but it does make a difference. Running at 1080, the characters and effects are crisp and clean. I've noticed none of the "jaggys" from the PS2 version. And my eyes strain a lot less when viewing the rifts. It's also nice not to have to set the game to 480p EVERY time I boot it up.

Gameplay: pretty much the same. The only issue is that is you want to use the back button to activate Star Power, it's extremely difficult. I have since started learning to lean the guitar. Other than that, the game loads MUCH faster in between screens and saving is also quick. So it's less hassle getting to the next song.

The Guitar: it's "neat." A lot more "solid" than the PS2 version. Smaller buttons also mean easier access when going from Green to Orange. My only complaint is that the top edge kind of digs into your arm when standing up. It will take some getting used to as I have to change my grip. I'm actually considering cutting that part off and sanding it down.

Content: YAY! New songs. And further, they've moved some around to help the difficulty curve. Try and tell me with a straight face that "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock you" didn't come out of nowhere and hammer you pretty hard the first time you played it. Sure, it wasn't killer or anything, but that song (the 5th in the first set) was WAY out of the league of the others.

Anyways, I love this as the achievement system will give me more to work towards rather than playing Sweet Child of Mine 50 times in a row. The price is steep at $90, but I got lucky and basically scored two of them for free. My old systems were just collecting dust. And after getting the Wii, my PS2 was sitting on the floor while not being used. The hassle of hooking it up when I wanted to jam is now gone.

Oh and this means I NEVER have to mess with a Sony product again. Which is actually kind of sad because my PS2 was a 2nd Gen model, and it still worked fine. The read speed had dropped a bit, but it never blew up. Oh well, an end to an era.

Re: First Look: Guitar Hero 2

Pretty much said it all, the game is great fun and addicting enough to keep you playing for long times, with plenty of replay value. Now to mention the Downloadable content coming soon.
    |TG-Irr|TanithGhost
    100 pixels height is too small people.

Comment

Update: Three batches of songs (3-4 a piece) are available for download off XBLive. At 500 points a piece (about 6 bucks) it's a bit of money to buy them all, but they include songs such as:

Kill Queen - Queen
      Take it Off - The Donnas
      Hey You
      Bark at the Moon - Ozzy
      Ace of Spades

and a few others. I'm supporting this only because I believe that if a market pops up for this, I may never need to buy another GH game again as redoctane can just release new songs in packs like this. These songs are also listed on the leaderboards.

Comment

So, basically, they're selling you the songs from GH1.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
          Yea, but when you think about it: most new GH players who never owned a PS2 wouldn't be able to play these songs in the first place. I'm not too pleased about having to pay from them, but a conversion did have to take place. Besides, I enjoyed many of the older GH songs than the newer ones. But the graphics and lack of decent hammer-ons and pull-offs stopped me from going back and playing them on my PS2.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
            Update: Three batches of songs (3-4 a piece) are available for download off XBLive. At 500 points a piece (about 6 bucks)
            UG... $6 each is crazy. I thought they were going to be free.

Edit: Oh wait... 3-4 songs for $6? That's not too bad, but I still thought they were going to be free. :)
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

That's pretty expensive. Between 40 and 60 dollars just for the main songs from GH1, even more if you include the bonus songs, and I can't see it being that expensive to for the most part just convert the songs from GH1 to GH2.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                Not to mention, bark at the moon, with easier HO/PO than the first game by a LONG SHOT, might actually be able to pull off the solos on expert :D

---

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101 View Post
                  That's pretty expensive. Between 40 and 60 dollars just for the main songs from GH1, even more if you include the bonus songs, and I can't see it being that expensive to for the most part just convert the songs from GH1 to GH2.
                  They had to cover the songs again. I can tell a difference in the singing from Ace of Spades. Also, they had to add in bass lines for co-op.

Comment

Eh... it still seems a tad expensive. Though I guess selling the PS2 versions and guitars could offset the double-pricing.

I'm saddened that I'm getting more and more reasons to get an Xbox 360.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X