Talk about bad luck...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about bad luck...

Ugh. Forza 2 comes out today, and I was really looking forward to it. I've actually been meaning to get into gaming on my 360 more, as I've been ignoring it and playing on the PC these days. So Friday after not having touched the machine in a week.....I get the 3 Rings of Death. Not immediately, at first it was just freezing in game menus, then the main menu or the startup animation. Before long it was RROD, though, with no video signal whatsoever.

Ugh, again. I haven't had time to mess with it with holiday stuff, but tried it again today in hopes that it just needed a rest. No joy. Removed the HD, still did nothing. And I had waited to purchase mine thinking it was just the launch units that were failure-prone. Mine was bought in July '06, made in May '06, and has been well-ventilated and babied due to the machines reputation. A well-deserved reputation it turns out.

I do have the replacement plan at Best Buy, so am about to head down there to exchange it, and MAYBE pick up Forza if they have it. I tell you, though, having read about how prevalent these problems are, with people on their 2nd or 7th) 360 I almost want to move to a PS3. The games aren't there just now, but they don't seem to break by looking at them funny after 10 months, either. Of course they haven't been out that long, maybe they do lol.
    BF2 POE2: NC_Tarheel
    Team Fortress 2: |TG| Tarheel

Re: Talk about bad luck...

My 360 replacement for the 3 red lights of death is coming Thursday. It's a very common problem, it's a cheap piss-poor design. I had less than 6 days total playtime on mine before it died. I'll keep getting the replacements from them.

Mine was also made in May 06, purchased in late November of 06. Disappionting to say the least, mine was also babied and extremely well ventilated.

Comment

Mine's a launch system, still running to. Launch system's have full warranty's to.

Comment

Well, the Best Buy replacement plan worked pretty well - I now have a "new" Premium that I'm setting up now. This one was made in June '06, so I don't have much hope for it being any better than the last one. They wouldn't let me swap the hard drive, so I'm out my saves. The only downloaded game I had was Worms, which apparently I can still play as long as I'm connected to Live with the account I bought it with. Luckily the only game I had played recently that I was actually in the middle of was Guitar Hero 2. RB6 I hadn't played too far in and was planning on restarting it anyway, and I didn't have any seasons going in any of my sports games.

They did have one Elite, which I tried swapping for, with paying an extra $80 of course. I don't really need the bigger HD or HDMI, but supposedly these had the chips glued down with a lot of epoxy so MIGHT not fail as much. They said I had to get the same thing as I was turning in, and I didn't feel like arguing the point since swapping in-store was much easier than mailing it off somewhere, which technically is what you're supposed to do with this replacement plan.

The good news is that since this died within the 1-year warranty period, I'm still covered under the 2-year replacement plan without having to pay anything. After the warranty is out, you have to buy a new plan to have coverage on the replacement unit, so I have about another 14 months to replace this one. Hopefully when they go to the smaller die size for the CPU and GPU chips, they'll redesign the thing and fix whatever the problems are. The newer chips are supposed to come later this year, so I should be in good shape to get a "new and improved" model by the time this unit fails. I have no doubts that it will. Or maybe then it'll be time to move to Sony - they might actually have some games at that point. <g>

I like my chances a bit more with a new unit than a refurb. Refurbs for MOST things are actually fixed, but it sounds like the 360 refurbs MS are sending out are often lemons that keep getting passed around - which makes the problem worse as they're annoying a customer that's already annoyed. I feel for ya JMJ having one only last 6 freaking days - that's ludicrous - and what's sad is it isn't an uncommon story.

MS is actually making a profit on these things now, and SHOULD be really blowing Sony away right now. I have a feeling that a LOT of potential buyers are sitting out, though, having read about all the problems. I seriously don't know that I'd buy one now myself.

Oh, and no Forza until tommorrow apparently....
        BF2 POE2: NC_Tarheel
        Team Fortress 2: |TG| Tarheel

Comment

If I had thought this was going to affect me, I may not have bought mine. I'll keep complaining though and sending back if I have to.

Comment

Got my new one back, same case and serial number....they must have replaced the motherboard. It works, doesn't appear to be any issues.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X