Xbox 360 Freezing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox 360 Freezing

Well. It started happening to me last night.

I fired up my 360 for a little bit of Carcassonne before bed but was only able to play for about 5 minutes before my 360 froze. I figured that it might have been a bug in the game because this was the first time I played against 3 other AI opponents.

Fine. Software can have glitches, it happens.

I reset the 360 and tried again vs. 2 AI opponents. Freeze.

Fine. Maybe the issue is with more than 1 other AI opponent.

I reset the 360 and tried again vs. 1 AI opponent. Freeze.

This is getting annoying. I've played this game a lot over the past week against 1 AI opponent, on Xbox live, and local multiplayer and have never encountered any freezing. Maybe the game is just corrupted and causing the thing to lock up. Oh well.

I reset the 360 for the third time but decide to try a little Lumines instead. After a couple minutes of play the 360 freezes yet again. Reset. Try again. Freeze. Reset. Try again. Freeze.

Is the thing getting too hot? It shouldn't be. It has plenty of ventilation room and the house has AC so the room temp is cool enough. I decided to move the 360 to give it even MORE breathing room, unplugged the box completely from the power supply, and let it rest for a bit while I fired up the PS3.

After a little bit of Sudoku on the PS3, a system firmware update to 1.90, some picture browsing off the FreeNAS, and a couple save points into Resistance, I decided to try the 360 again.

Freeze.
    Reset.
    Freeze.
    Reset.
    Freeze.
    Bedtime.

My 360 isn't very old. We got it as a family present this past Christmas, so it's only 8 months old and well cared for. I guess it's time to call Xbox support and get the thing sent back for repair.

Warranty aside, I don't buy hardware just to spend my time sending it back for repair. I'm pretty annoyed about the whole thing and this ordeal has made me really appreciate having the PS3.

I have had freezes on the 360 here and there since I first got it but I just chalked that up to being a Microsoft product and figured that system freezing now and again was just a sign that you did indeed buy a Genuine Microsoft product.

*shrug*
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Xbox 360 Freezing

In a week: you'll most likely have the "red ring of death." I've noticed a few other posts like this in other forums.

Comment

Also make sure your rear fans haven't quit working. When it's on, you should feel warm air being pushed out of there.

Comment

Yeah, mine did the same thing and few days later finally got hte ring of death. It was probably younger than yours. Just call the hotline, it's quick and easy to get it sent off. Mine was only gone a week total.
        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
          Yeah, mine did the same thing and few days later finally got hte ring of death. It was probably younger than yours. Just call the hotline, it's quick and easy to get it sent off. Mine was only gone a week total.
          Do they send you off a box to ship it back to them in or do you have to provide your own packaging?

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
            Do they send you off a box to ship it back to them in or do you have to provide your own packaging?
            They ship you a box that arrives pretty quick. Mine was two business days. So, even though I called on a Monday afternoon, I got my box by Wednesday afternoon.

The box they send you comes with foam and a plastic bag for protection. You take anything out of the DVD tray, pull off the front cover-plate, and remove your HDD. Put in the 360, then use the pre-paid packing label. You WILL need to either call for pickup (and get charged) or drop the package off at a local UPS store.

For some odd reason though, they sent mine back with a face-plate. I need to check and see if they just replaced my console.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
              They ship you a box that arrives pretty quick. Mine was two business days. So, even though I called on a Monday afternoon, I got my box by Wednesday afternoon.

The box they send you comes with foam and a plastic bag for protection. You take anything out of the DVD tray, pull off the front cover-plate, and remove your HDD. Put in the 360, then use the pre-paid packing label. You WILL need to either call for pickup (and get charged) or drop the package off at a local UPS store.

For some odd reason though, they sent mine back with a face-plate. I need to check and see if they just replaced my console.
              Excellent. I'm on the phone right now with Microsoft. Well.... I'm on the phone after calling their number and have been listening to on-hold music for the past 20 minutes.

Comment

What sucked for me is that mine died during the period they ran out of these boxes. I ended up having to pack mine myself and ship it. They paid for return shipping, etc, but it still cost me a few bucks. Mine died in the limbo time between them bumping up the warranty to 1 year, running out of boxes, then bumping up the warrant some more.
                |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                  Excellent. I'm on the phone right now with Microsoft. Well.... I'm on the phone after calling their number and have been listening to on-hold music for the past 20 minutes.
                  Must be a busy day. I was on hold for maybe a minute before my guy came on and made DAMN SURE I knew how "cool" Microsoft was being for the "ALL-EXPENSES PAID!!!!!! SUPER-MEGA-AWESOME SERVICE" they were offering.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I DO appreciate them paying for everything, but the guy literally made sure to remind me 5-6 times about it.

The end of the conversation was like this:
                  Tech: "Now, we just want to make sure you understand how helpful we've been in making sure you're happy about this service we're offering at no expense to you."
                  ::awkward silence::
                  Me: "Um, thanks?"
                  Tech: "All right then, you have a nice day."
                  ::click::

I was seriously weirded out, but hey: about 2 weeks later I was playing Guitar Hero again, so it was worth it.

Comment

^
                    LOL. I do love telemarketing and customer support types sometimes. It's a good thing I control my tongue well and don't say what I'm thinking.

I think MS is having MANY busy days lately, as people who were out of warranty suddenly were IN warranty and started sending in their 360's. Luckily when mine died a few months back I could just exchange it at Best Buy using their replacement plan and was back home in less than an hour with a new Xbox 360. Of course it's a "time bomb" unit as well, so I'll get to do that all over again - or send it to MS.

I have to admit that although I'm covered under the new warranty that the reliability problem has changed my thinking towards this console some. I think a bit harder about buying a new game for it. I could put that money towards a game for my PC, which I've never had to send off anywhere for repairs.

I also am semi-tempted by the PS3 with the recent price drop. Sure I'd like it to drop more, and the library doesn't compare to the 360 right now, but it seems to actually *work*. I may get one and buy the multi-platform titles for the PS3 (unless they're a crappy port) and use the 360 only for it's exclusives and my current library. I'd get some of the Sony exclusives and Blu-Ray as a bonus in the deal, and the PS3 works with my Logitech steering wheel....

I better stop thinking about that before I go spend yet more money, and remember the Wii that I barely use as well <grin>
                    BF2 POE2: NC_Tarheel
                    Team Fortress 2: |TG| Tarheel

Comment

Must be a busy day. I was on hold for maybe a minute before my guy came on and made DAMN SURE I knew how "cool" Microsoft was being for the "ALL-EXPENSES PAID!!!!!! SUPER-MEGA-AWESOME SERVICE" they were offering.
                      That's funny; Microsoft customer support pales in comparison to Lenovo's. I had a new hard disk the next morning, and I called at 10pm... didn't cost me a dime. I also didn't get put on hold at all, and didn't have to go through a menu thing. I got an operator who directed me to a representative immediately. Also, he spoke English with an American accent.
                      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
                        That's funny; Microsoft customer support pales in comparison to Lenovo's. I had a new hard disk the next morning, and I called at 10pm... didn't cost me a dime. I also didn't get put on hold at all, and didn't have to go through a menu thing. I got an operator who directed me to a representative immediately. Also, he spoke English with an American accent.
                        You have to realize: I've spent a combined total equaling days on hold with customer service reps since I started working in IT. MS isn't the best, but they are far from the worst. I would literally cringe any time I had to call Netgear, because I would be stuck talking to a guy who had only a tentative grasp of the English language and was sitting in what could only be a mosh pit at a rock concert considering the amount of background noise.

The call to get my 360 fixed was relatively painless and short. And considering some of the phone calls I've had to customer service techs, that's a God-send.

Comment

Yeah, it's sort of sad that the standards are even below Microsoft, the company renowned internationally for lowering the bar in all areas of computing.
                          The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                          I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Mmm, I guess experience with MS's XBox 360 support varies a lot. My 360 also got the Red Ring of Death, and it took 1 month to get it shipped to Germany for refurbishment and back again. The reason was because I was still having my easter holiday when DHL came with the return box to pick it up... two days early! :P Made a second call some days after it was expected to show up, and the rep apologized and said they'd send a new one right away. Was very impressed when they phoned me up on the first Saturday only to apologize again, and give me an expected return date on my console. Still, gotta love the way some of them seem to hesitate at the end of each conversation with... "Oh, and by the way Sir, have a nice day!" :D
                            “The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane”.

Comment

I never did provide an update to my issues. Xbox support suggested I delete my gamertag from the 360 and then recover it from Xbox live. I went through that whole process and the freezing seemed to go away for the most part. At least for a couple weeks.

It started back up again and went back to the 3 minute freezes again tonight. Then my video went wonky and I restarted the 360 and was greeted to a lovely System Error screen. Looks like I'm the victim of the E 74 error.

Oddly enough, not even the guy on Xbox support knew what that was and couldn't find it in their database. I couldn't find it on the Xbox support site when I looked either. Searches of the web did turn up some issues with the graphics system producing that error.

In any case, a box is on the way to me so I can ship the 360 back. Hopefully they'll send me out a new one with HDMI outputs.

It makes me happy I have a faithful PS3 to play with. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X