360 HDMI Port

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 360 HDMI Port

I just bought a 360 without a HDMI port (I believe the new 360's have the port(s)). I have a HD television set. Do I need to return my non-HDMI port 360 and get a HDMI ported one? My television is a 720p with two HDMI ports.

Is there a difference in the picture quality between a HDMI ported 360 and a non ported? What would I be getting by having my 360 with the HDMI port?
    Last edited by TheFatKidDeath; 09-01-2007, 09:54 PM.
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: 360 HDMI Port

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
    I just bought a 360 without a HDMI port (I believe the new 360's have the port(s)). I have a HD television set. Do I need to return my non-HDMI port 360 and get a HDMI ported one? My television is a 720p with two HDMI ports.

Is there a difference in the picture quality between a HDMI ported 360 and a non ported? What would I be getting by having my 360 with the HDMI port?
    Some people seem to think there is a huge difference, but I didn't notice much of one on my digital cable box. Your fine with using component video for HD.

Comment

It's nice to have one cable vs many, but that's about the only benefit I've noticed. Component works very well, much better than svideo and leaps and bounds above composite.

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax74 View Post
        It's nice to have one cable vs many, but that's about the only benefit I've noticed. Component works very well, much better than svideo and leaps and bounds above composite.
        Agreed on the cable thing, it is nice to only have one for video/audio together.

Comment

Ok, thanks. Sounds like I should keep the 360 I have.

Though why did they come out with the HDMI model? UnDead, by component video you mean the cable that came with the 360?

On the HD AV cable that comes with the 360 there is a HDTV and TV switch located on the end of the cable that goes into the 360 port. I'm assuming the HDTV switch switches the 360 to HDTV and the TV switch to TV or SD?

I have the 360 setting at 720 and it looks unbelieveable! I was playing Halo 2 and was blown away on how great it looked and that's for a game that was made for the original XBOX. The clarity is amazing and it's like playing an entirely new game. I can't believe I played all those years on a $200 heavy ass tube TV! HD has changed my life!
          |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
          - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Component audio/video is the one using the RCA plugs (red, white, yellow) that goes from the back of your xbox to the side/back of your TV. Red and White cables are for audio (left and right respectively I believe...can't recall exactly which is which). Yellow is video.

There really isn't any discernable difference between component HD and HDMI HD. Best Buy had a tech demo a while back where I asked a lot of questions. I didn't see any improvement in using the HDMI cable, besides that fact that it's AV all in one cable versus 3 cables.

Glad to hear you enjoy your HD set and 360. :D
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              Component audio/video is the one using the RCA plugs (red, white, yellow) that goes from the back of your xbox to the side/back of your TV. Red and White cables are for audio (left and right respectively I believe...can't recall exactly which is which). Yellow is video.
              This is incorrect. Component consists of the Red, Green, and Blue cables, also known as RGB. The Red and White cables are audio left and right. Yellow is composite, which is the lowest quality you will get out of an Xbox (not including and RF converter).

From left to right, Component (3 cables RGB), audio left and right (red and white jackets), and one composite cable (yellow). Ignore the composite cable, you don't need it.

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

Just a quick note:

HDMI isn't about quality, it's about SECURITY.

If you have content that requires encryption from source to display, HDMI will provide you a MASSIVE quality increase because without HDMI the content will not be displayed in HD format on your display. It will be downgraded to SD (in many cases, this is variable).
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

The real question... will you be watching HD DVDs on your XBox360 ?

Like Apophis alludes to above... you'll need HDMI in order to be HDCP compatible. Without HDMI you won't be able to view HD DVDs (or atleast you won't be able to view them in High Definition).
                  Last edited by DaddyOfThree; 09-02-2007, 11:03 AM. Reason: grammar
                  |TG-88th| DaddyOfThree

Comment

Originally posted by DaddyOfThree View Post
                    The real question... will you be watching HD DVDs on your XBox360 ?

Like Apophis alludes to above... you'll need HDMI in order to be HDCP compatible. Without HDMI you won't be able to view HD DVDs (or atleast you won't be able to view them in High Definition).
                    That's a good point. One day I will want to watch movies in HD so perhaps it makes sense to have an 360 with an HDM port. The 360 has a HD DVD player for that feature I believe.

Looks like I will be going back and getting an HDM ported 360!
                    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                    - I'm on the local news!

Comment

i have the hd-dvd player and i use component and i see my hd-dvds in 720p. Maybe you need it for 1080p, but not for 720p.

Comment

Originally posted by Snail88 View Post
                        i have the hd-dvd player and i use component and i see my hd-dvds in 720p. Maybe you need it for 1080p, but not for 720p.
                        Snail, what do you mean? You have a non-ported HDMI 360 but can still view the HD DVD's in 720? Do you only really need the HDMI port if you have a 1080 TV and plan on viewing HD?
                        |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                        - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                          Snail, what do you mean? You have a non-ported HDMI 360 but can still view the HD DVD's in 720? Do you only really need the HDMI port if you have a 1080 TV and plan on viewing HD?
                          It depends on the content.. 720i/720p content can be encrypted with HDCP and dropped down to 480 for non-HDCP compliant (HDMI) hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                            Just a quick note:

HDMI isn't about quality, it's about SECURITY.

If you have content that requires encryption from source to display, HDMI will provide you a MASSIVE quality increase because without HDMI the content will not be displayed in HD format on your display. It will be downgraded to SD (in many cases, this is variable).
                            Your wording seems to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Using an HDMI cable allows you to view the HD DVD to be played at the resolution you should be allowed to view it at. It doesn't really give you a quality increase because that quality is already there and could be viewed using component cables.

Let me put it this way, HDMI is out there to benefit everyone but the consumer.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
                              Your wording seems to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Using an HDMI cable allows you to view the HD DVD to be played at the resolution you should be allowed to view it at. It doesn't really give you a quality increase because that quality is already there and could be viewed using component cables.

Let me put it this way, HDMI is out there to benefit everyone but the consumer.
                              Well, the discussion was focusing on the quality and utilization of HDMI, not the political sandbox type facet of the technology. That would be more appropriate for... the Sandbox. I think your comments cloud the issue for those just looking for a solution to give them HD content on an HD display in the coming years. In this situation, implying that the content "could" be viewed in native resolution using component cables when we're talking about HDCP will just confuse people and make them think they "can" do what you're saying.

No matter what political or DRM stance you want to take, using HDMI for HDCP protected HD content will give you a dramatic quality improvement over component cabling.

I quite dislike DRM in any form. I understand it, but I dislike it. With that being said, I still want to enjoy HD content and wish to do so in HD resolutions without worry of HDCP. To do this, I need to use HDMI.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X