So, I'm getting a Xbox 360....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I'm getting a Xbox 360....

And yes, I've read numerous posts on which bundle choices and what not. However, I was reading about the new 65nm CPU's and better heatsinks. Does anyone have any links providing that these do in fact help out with the RRod? I just don't want to buy something that will die after a year. A lot of folks say the GPU is the issue but it seems with less heat from the CPU and a better designed heatsink that the GPU would be a tad cooler as well. Any thoughts?

Also, I've seen various cooling solutions for the 360. Anyone got any REAL side by side reviews for them? Which ones? The XCM solution, the Nyco, etc.... any input is appreciated.

As you can see I'm trying to look at longevity solutions to the toaster that is the 360. Thanks.

In the pursuit of... something.

Re: So, I'm getting a Xbox 360....

I don't know. I don't have any of that cooling crap. Just don't leave your 360 on for 12 hours at a time.

Remember the laser issues with the original PSX? How after a year or two the thing would crap out on you, so you'd have to start laying in on its side (or flipping it completely upside down) for the PSX to read the CD?

Yeah. Same issue. Heat. Give your 360 (and give your eyes) a break once in a while. Keep the 360 playtime down to an hour or two at a time. It'll dramatically increase your console's lifespan.

Comment

Thanks for the answers. However, this will also be our DVD player and as such it could potentially see stints of long watching (read: 3-4 hours continuous) with sitcom seasons.

Was just trying to head any potential problems off. Thanks again.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

The problem is not your 360 but you living in GA :) I grew up in Roswell so I know all about heat :(

Seriously, I think your OK not having to purchase an add on cooling unit. I actually knocked my small rear cabinet wall out so I could get a better air flow. I could put my hand against the metal and feel the heat that was generated by the 360. Just make sure the area behind the fans are free of any blockage which prevents the air from escaping.
        |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
        "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
        - Check me out on The Onion
        - I'm on the local news!

Comment

and below it as well

What I do is stick two yellow pencils under my xbox so the little ducts on the bottom are completely clear and free to breathe.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by Clodhopper View Post
            and below it as well

What I do is stick two yellow pencils under my xbox so the little ducts on the bottom are completely clear and free to breathe.
            Thats a good idea.

I haven't had any problems with mine at all to date - It's a year old now.

Personally I wouldn't add any fans to it.. it's noisy enough as it is.
            sigpic

Comment

some of the fans for the 360 are actually bad for it as they block the proper airflow of the system. just make sure to check how hot it feels, and give it a break every few hours.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X