Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why connect a Xbox 360 to a PC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why connect a Xbox 360 to a PC?

    This may have been discussed before but if someone had some answers or some ideas no one thought about i'd love to hear it. All i think i know is that media center will connect meaning the songs i have in media i can play on xbox 360? anything else??

  • #2
    Re: Why connect a Xbox 360 to a PC?

    If you've got media center you can connect it that way, to stream music,photos, and certain video formats over. If you don't have media center, you use to use a program called windows media connect, but MS eventually did away with that and just started using the Zune program to handle it. I think you can only steam music/ and photos that way.


    You can also use a 3rd party program called TVersity, http://tversity.com/home/. It's just simply a media server that works the same way. External App, where you can add folders to your PC that will connect to your 360. This app also works for the Wii, and PS3.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Why connect a Xbox 360 to a PC?

      Thats about it. Songs, movies, etc..

      Since my 360 is hooked up to the sound system in my living room, it makes sense that I can pipe my music from the PC to it.

      I think you still need a Media Center OS for it to work. Like XP Media Center Edition or Vista Home Premium.

      I used to have an unlimited subscription to Urge that allowed me to play anything from their library.. but since Urge became Rhapsody it doesn't work anymore because Rhapsody (Real Networks) is STILL not supporting any 64-bit OS's so I can't run the Rhapsody client. Speaking of - Does anyone know any music / content providers that are?
      sigpic


      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Why connect a Xbox 360 to a PC?

        Originally posted by P8riot View Post
        Speaking of - Does anyone know any music / content providers that are?
        Napster works just fine with Vista 64-bit Media Center and the 360. - Thanks MeatWad for inspiring me to look into it more. I'm happy. :D
        sigpic


        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Why connect a Xbox 360 to a PC?

          Most people I would imagine have their 360 connected to the largest TV with the best sound system. Using Tversity, Media Center, or several of the Linux products(Yes I am that guy that streams from his Linux box to his Microsoft game console) makes good sense to get the best quality or most volume from the sound. Great for parties. the Guys who did the visualizations must enjoy partying because you can control the vertical and horizontal rotation of the visualizations with the controller and send people with certain substances in their body into a whole other world. Also great for streaming the pics from last weekends party and having "Guess who's breasts" contest :)
          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

          XBL GT: Khan58

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Why connect a Xbox 360 to a PC?

            Do you guys know any way to have the 360 see AAC music files?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Why connect a Xbox 360 to a PC?

              Originally posted by barefacedstorm View Post
              Do you guys know any way to have the 360 see AAC music files?
              Thats that iPod apple stuff right? Not sure if it works over the networked 360, but the 360 will recogize the files on an iPod if plugged in directly by USB.
              sigpic


              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Why connect a Xbox 360 to a PC?

                I have to connect the 2 when I game downstairs in my house. My internet connection is upstairs and that goes into a wireless router. The pc has a wireless dongle to connect to the internet and the 360 connects to the NIC in the pc. Thats how I get my 360 online to XBL!

                Has the added advantage of being able to check all my stats from every game I ever played on HALO 3 through www.bungie.net. Also quite neat if you want to check FAQS online if you get stuck!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Why connect a Xbox 360 to a PC?

                  Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                  Most people I would imagine have their 360 connected to the largest TV with the best sound system. Using Tversity, Media Center, or several of the Linux products(Yes I am that guy that streams from his Linux box to his Microsoft game console) makes good sense to get the best quality or most volume from the sound. Great for parties. the Guys who did the visualizations must enjoy partying because you can control the vertical and horizontal rotation of the visualizations with the controller and send people with certain substances in their body into a whole other world. Also great for streaming the pics from last weekends party and having "Guess who's breasts" contest :)
                  Me too. I keep all my media on a FreeNAS box and then enabled uPNP in FreeNAS to serve up the media to my 360 and PS3.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Why connect a Xbox 360 to a PC?

                    Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                    Me too. I keep all my media on a FreeNAS box and then enabled uPNP in FreeNAS to serve up the media to my 360 and PS3.
                    Great to hear. I was using a hacked geexbox mplayer from my Ubuntu machine before. I am in the process of building a small form factor little FreeNas box to handle the media serving for my 360. I'm excited that it works as advertised.
                    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

                    XBL GT: Khan58

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Why connect a Xbox 360 to a PC?

                      Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                      Great to hear. I was using a hacked geexbox mplayer from my Ubuntu machine before. I am in the process of building a small form factor little FreeNas box to handle the media serving for my 360. I'm excited that it works as advertised.
                      I've actually been debating switching over from FreeNAS to OpenFiler. I'll let you know how that works out. FreeNAS does support Microsoft's "interpretation" of uPNP but it also supports DNLA compliant uPNP for hardware like the PS3.
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

                      Comment

                      Connect

                      Collapse

                      TeamSpeak 3 Server

                      Collapse

                      Advertisement

                      Collapse

                      Twitter Feed

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X