FPS: invert or normal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPS: invert or normal?

Just curious what most people use for the "Y" axis around here?
    On PC I never invert the mouse but I find myself inverting it on the 360 controller. Something like on the PC I'm moving the gun and on the 360 it feels more like I am moving the guy's head/body, or something like that. :)

Any issue with this? I think I could go either way with it, and don't want to learn any "bad" habits early on. :)
    Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Re: FPS: invert or normal?

On the 360 I ALWAYS invert... otherwise Im all screwed up... blame that old Tomcat game on the NES :P
    -

Comment

Never made sense to me to move the joystick up and actually being going down, thought it was always kinda cheesy who ever started that nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
        Never made sense to me to move the joystick up and actually being going down, thought it was always kinda cheesy who ever started that nonsense.
        Absolutely agree with you here. Although as a rather funny aside, I used to play Goldeneye for the N64 inverted. But by the time Perfect Dark came out for the N64, I was playing non-inverted. Strange huh?
        Focused

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixxFire View Post
          Absolutely agree with you here. Although as a rather funny aside, I used to play Goldeneye for the N64 inverted. But by the time Perfect Dark came out for the N64, I was playing non-inverted. Strange huh?
          I even played Goldeneye on normal, I think I was able to play invented back then though, I've played a few 3rd person shooters in invented, like Kameo.

Comment

invert = retarded, when you think about it, the way your controller is, its the same as it is normally on pc, so why change it to have it retarded and backwards on invert.

the only thing i invert on pc games is flying, because i dont like to pull back to go down, its wierd...

so yeah

Comment

Damn, I guess I'm the "lefty" of the console gaming world here. I always think of it as; my head tilts forward, it and I'm lookin down, I pull my head back, I look up. Heh, non-inverted confuses the heck outta me, it's a mess when I don't invert!
              -

Comment

mouse = normal
                controller = invert

It's about 50/50 how people use the controller. The controller for me is more like tilting the head, and the mouse is moving the gun. Also, the action of pulling a stick back as opposed to moving a mouse leads me to how I feel more comfortable, and why each platform is different. :)
                Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

I always invert console or PC. I first started playing flight sims on PC so I guess that's why I do it.
                  |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                    I always invert console or PC. I first started playing flight sims on PC so I guess that's why I do it.
                    Such a weirdo!

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
                      Such a weirdo!
                      It's mere semantics. The difference between "look up and down"(you) or " lean/tilt forward and back"(me). Makes more sense when you look at it like that. When I play a game that it actually is "forward and back"(like a racing game) I don't invert or I invert look only....now that is weird.
                      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

It's all about your point of reference. I invert, because I imagine the point of reference for the Y axis as being at the back of the virtual FPS head, or the grip of the gun (hence pushing the mouse up to go against the recoil.

It might also have to do with that tomcat game though. Clod might be onto something.
                        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

I would rather play on normal, than on inverted, because its my preference

Comment

In the great old days of Goldeneye, me and my friend would have this debate. He preferred inverted and I preferred normal. Only problem was the controls applied to every controller and not individually. So we always play a round normal, then a round inverted.

I always played normal until I started playing Fable for the xbox. The bow in Fable was on invert by default and I couldn't figure out how to change. Since I was playing Halo 2 at the same time, switching between inverted and normal really through me off. So eventually I just turned to inverted.

Comment

I always use inverted for mouselook and for Xbox controllers. It's from the days when flight sims were king of the heap in PC games.

Also - a little known trivia...first 3d game with look up/down that I played a lot was Duke Nukem 3d. That one defaulted to inverted mouselook and the mechanic further got ingrained in me.

Quake defaulted to 'normal' mouselook which is probably what most people started playing in the very beginning days of vertical-capable FPS.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X