Boycott BF BC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boycott BF BC?

I'm not saying to do it... I'm saying should we...kinda like an editorial...

and I for one, after reading this will NOT be getting the game. (for this reason, but also because I was on the fence about it anyway... "action shooter".)

Battlefield: Bad Company is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360, but carries with it a somewhat troubling DLC plan. EA and DICE are making certain weapons available for purchase.

Five weapons will be available free through pre-launch promotions (and after the game releases), but another five will only be available through the "Gold Version" or paid DLC.

SarcasticGamer is calling for a boycott of the game and is trying to start a campaign to put a stop to DLC like this.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Boycott BF BC?

This is another reason why I will not be buying it. Another is I disagree with the way soldiers are portrayed in the storyline. I won't be playing the Heroes game either, because I am sure it will incorporate something similar to purchased "power-ups".

Comment

wait you have to pay for the DLC or you just need microsoft points? They did the same with Oblivion but no one boycotted that.
      |TG-Irr|Sythos

Xbox Live= Latius

Comment

microsoft points cost money to get... so yes you are paying for it... and I know that you payed for an add-on for Oblivion, they plan on giving you only 5 weapons in the game, and you'll have to but all the others... thats a bad trend to allow happen. IMO
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Sythos View Post
          wait you have to pay for the DLC or you just need microsoft points? They did the same with Oblivion but no one boycotted that.
          Well, its a multiplayer game and it gives those willing to spend the money somewhat of an unfair advantage (or possibly could).

I think thats the issue. At least, thats the issue I had with bf2 and the expansion packs. Also had that problem with Chromehounds.
          -

Comment

O I thought you could buy the 5 guns. Thats awful you only get 5 then you have to buy the rest :(. I just played the beta awful game, no defibs, the world destruction is awful, you power drill a wall and a 10 foot hole opens up. The guns are ok, sound sounds like they took the russians from BF2142 and then added a few more voices, the graphics are not good, awful compared to some games. The only reason I would buy this game would be for the singleplayer.
            |TG-Irr|Sythos

Xbox Live= Latius

Comment

From a business sense, if you have the money for a 360/PS3, High Speed internet, Xbox Live, and a new game....then what is a few dollars for extra weapons. It may be a bad trend, but the truth is anyone who can afford all of the above can splurge for the extra weapons. If you can't, perhaps you should re evaluate your hobbies.

That said, I would not want to pay for additional game contend. However, I have been paying for expansions for years and this is just another add on. If the game is fun I'll play it, if not I won't. To suggest another few dollars is worth skipping out on a good game is silly. The vast majority of people who own these consoles and play these games will not miss the extra investment. Is it bad precedent? Yes. Does it suck? Yes. This isn't the first time a company let alone first time EA has done this so why attempt to boycott? The original BF2 unlock requirements benefited only those that would cheat or had no life so I see this as an easy way to even the playing field. If you want the unlocks buy them, if not don't.
              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I was more than a little disappointed to learn that EA intends to force gamers to purchase unlocks in Battlefield: Bad Company. However, it does seem as though these weapons will be more of a variety pack, rather than actual improvements over the basic selection. This may not cause an imbalance in gameplay, but is certainly a step in the wrong direction for downloadable content.

I would prefer to see companies stick to actual new content. The packs for Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 are perfect and offer gamers a chance to continue the storyline, play maps from previous versions of the game, and earn additional achievements related to this content. Simply unlocking content already included in the game just seems a means to suck a few more dollars out of gamers.

Thankfully, the game at its current state isnít even close to being on my list of future purchases.

Comment

so I could make a basic racer... with one track and one car... sell it for 60 bucks, then have you buy the unlocks for new tracks and cars...wow, I'd make a killing...

I'm all for buying "add-ons" for games, but allowing companies to limit weapons (in a FPS), or cars (in a racer) just so you can pay extra to unlock them. (there still on the game disk, just locked till you pay)... thats bad practice, and allowing it will let companies no it's OK, and then what next.

So, because we are console gamers, we already pay 20 bucks more for a game then the PC market... and now we pay for add-ons (which are just professionally done mods), while the PC gets them for free... thats fair?

So I can sell you a car, then tell you you have to pay extra for the engine and tires...
                  I can sell you a house, then say "oh, the roof has to be purchased extra".

Stupid right? so is this.
                  Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

I will say that I think extra content is ok. But I am very specific about what I consider content. Extra maps, levels and expansions are one thing. They do not give someone with more money an advantage. They simply give you more game to experience and play and prolong the replay value of the game in question. The idea of allowing weapon packs or other "power ups" is a bit ridiculous considering what you get and the effect on balanced gameplay in general. Then again, we are talking about EA, who hasn't shown that they even know the meaning of the term balanced. Basically I view something that some can have and others cannot that provide some advantage in gameplay as a sort of hack or cheating. Games that allow or promote this sort of thing should be boycotted in my opinion.

I also should mention that I do not own an Xbox, simply because of the requirement that I pay for the Xbox Live service. I also avoid WoW and the assorted Pirates games out there for the same reasons. If I pay for a game, then that should be it. I should not be required to make a payment in order to play the content that I have already purchased. If they want to make expansions to the game that significantly add to the game, then I will buy them, but not for some firepower advantage over the other players.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                      so I could make a basic racer... with one track and one car... sell it for 60 bucks, then have you buy the unlocks for new tracks and cars...wow, I'd make a killing...

I'm all for buying "add-ons" for games, but allowing companies to limit weapons (in a FPS), or cars (in a racer) just so you can pay extra to unlock them. (there still on the game disk, just locked till you pay)... thats bad practice, and allowing it will let companies no it's OK, and then what next.

So, because we are console gamers, we already pay 20 bucks more for a game then the PC market... and now we pay for add-ons (which are just professionally done mods), while the PC gets them for free... thats fair?

So I can sell you a car, then tell you you have to pay extra for the engine and tires...
                      I can sell you a house, then say "oh, the roof has to be purchased extra".

Stupid right? so is this.
                      Good points
                      Fortunately for me, the only good experience I had with the Battlefield games was CTF Desert Combat. Although, like a fool, I kept trying the new games...
                      -

Comment

guys the facts are actually not what you guys have seen...

there are infact 5 guns that you can only get in the gold edition, but the other 5 are only not unlockable now because their giving them away in little competitions...

i got an email with the code for the M60 machine gun xD and their going to be making these 5 available for everybody who doesnt get them anyway... so if you dont want to pay for the 5 gold guns, get the gold edition from the start....

fact is this game is great :) i got a beta key from ea themselves, and i like the game a lot.... in comparison to modern combat this game IS SOOO AWESOMEEEE !!!

even though people complain about it not being like call of duty, i wouldnt want it to be, because its not meant to be, its meant to be like battlefield, which it is..... kudos to them i say..

oh and you start with a lot more then 5 guns... you start with about 15, you can unlock about 10, and you can get the other 10 as i said, so dont let this put you off.

later, hope this has enlightened you

p.s. sythos for an irr you have no taste :/.. the games great.. no use in defibs when its a short respawn time... it would be too busy... world destruction is great :O

Comment

I think the issue with most gamers who do not care for the idea of Bad Company is the fact that it is full of all the things we hate about BF2. Short respawn times and games that are "too busy" end up being vanilla CoD style spam-fests. I'll pass because my money is worth more to me than this meager attempt at a game. I'll be boycotting EA with this POS and Heroes and anything else they spam out that lacks quality and thought.

Comment

this game has more thought then most peoples brains are capable of =/

better then a hell of a lot of games..

heroes is free, saying you wont play it is being stubbourn, itl be fun..

Comment

Ive been playing it more and more recently and its kind of addicting. I have found the reason I dont like it, is because I have had horrible teammates. No one talks or coordinates anything, and whenever I try to do something like I am about to shoot somone or defuse the bomb on a gold crate, I get knifed from behind by one of my squad members. The thing that makes me mad about most of EAs games are that they just get them out as fast as possible so they can make the most profit. BC has the potential of being a good game but it hasnt been worked on for long enough. It took a year and a half mabye two to make it, but take Oblivion which took five years, or other games. Now that EA has bought bioware I hope that they dnt screw over the Mass Effect trilogy. It is the same with Ubisoft they had the potential for a great game with assassins creed but it turned out to be boring and repetitive after the first two missions, hopefully they dont screw Endwar up to badly.

On Heroes ill probably try it seeing as it is free, I wil never judge a game just because I dont like the way it look. It annoys me when people do that, like my friend will never play TF2 because it looks to cartoony for him, when you play a game you should focus on the gameplay etc and not just the graphics.
                              |TG-Irr|Sythos

Xbox Live= Latius

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...