So do i get an XBOX or not?....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So do i get an XBOX or not?....

Having discovered how fun FFOW is on PC I have been tempted to land an XBOX 360 to play it and a few other titles.

I currently play....

COD4
    FFOW <<< that is the one that is tempting me the most to do this
    R6VEGAS
    GRAW2

... on PC which are all really just ports from the platform (among others, the usual suspects like the whole BF franchise).

I run these all VERY well on an...

INTEL 6600 C2D
    ZOTAC 8800 GT OC
    SAMSUNG 215TW

... at 1680x1050 mostly full if not all full on detail.

I am a gamer raised on PC's rather than platforms. I had Colecovision as a kid and that was good for Donkey Kong. I hit college in the 90's and we had Doom and Wolfenstein for our PC's and I never looked back. I guess the money question is simply this. Am I going to gack at platform graphics and controls? I've tried to play PS3 titles at the store but find them to be blocky, chuggy, poorly rendered messes compared to a good PC.... and that is on the nice display monitors they use.

I have a nice TV to play on, 52" 4:3 1080P (I think... mebbe I... it's been 5 years since I got the thing) and a good 5.1 surround sound system. I think the basics are there but I worry that I'll get it all hooked up and decide... bleh, I like my PC better.

Comments appreciated
    LawnDart

The second mouse gets the cheese

Re: So do i get an XBOX or not?....

Originally posted by lawndartleo View Post
    Having discovered how fun FFOW is on PC I have been tempted to land an XBOX 360 to play it and a few other titles.

I currently play....

COD4
    FFOW <<< that is the one that is tempting me the most to do this
    R6VEGAS
    GRAW2

... on PC which are all really just ports from the platform (among others, the usual suspects like the whole BF franchise).

I run these all VERY well on an...

INTEL 6600 C2D
    ZOTAC 8800 GT OC
    SAMSUNG 215TW

... at 1680x1050 mostly full if not all full on detail.

I am a gamer raised on PC's rather than platforms. I had Colecovision as a kid and that was good for Donkey Kong. I hit college in the 90's and we had Doom and Wolfenstein for our PC's and I never looked back. I guess the money question is simply this. Am I going to gack at platform graphics and controls? I've tried to play PS3 titles at the store but find them to be blocky, chuggy, poorly rendered messes compared to a good PC.... and that is on the nice display monitors they use.

I have a nice TV to play on, 52" 4:3 1080P (I think... mebbe I... it's been 5 years since I got the thing) and a good 5.1 surround sound system. I think the basics are there but I worry that I'll get it all hooked up and decide... bleh, I like my PC better.

Comments appreciated
    With the TV you have, your games will look incredible. Hopefully you have a sound system to match.

I guess it really comes down to- are you satisfied with gaming on the PC? 360 is a great system with a ton of awesome games, but if your having fun on the PC already then I don't know how much the investment will be worth. If you're specifically looking for that console experience, with games you can only find on the 360, then go right ahead (I'm assuming money isn't an issue?)

EDIT: I just realized the TV you have isn't widescreen. And it's 1080P? Are you sure its not 1080i? If its 1080p then yeah, your games will still look real sexy. If its 1080i, then you might want to have it downscale to 720p.

Comment

Am I satisfied, Yes. I read that there is much more in the XBOX version of FFOW that is not in the PC version (I guess we should consider that a "yet" proposition, who knows what the future holds). That is the root of this temptation.

My kid never plays her Wii and the way I look at is it get as much as I can for it while it is hot and get something that is a little more family flexible (dad does not dig SuperMario Party).
      LawnDart

The second mouse gets the cheese

Comment

I had your same dilemma last year. I've been a hardcore PC gamer since around 1997 (Quake 2 and Half Life among many many others). I've always shunned away from consoles and really never gave them a thought. The only consoles I've ever owned were the 8 Bit Nintendo and an Intellivision in 1982. (Which still works).
        I've always kept my gaming rig up to date, usually building a new PC every 3 years with only the best hardware. But since around 2004 this has become ridiculous. I built a $3000 system in 2004, updated it in 2005, and in 2006 build another $5000 system for DX10 and Quad core. To sum up, I got fed up with the insane hardware requirements of games. You can get away with spending about 1k a year or maybe a little less, but you'll never keep up with the latest and greatest software. So I decided to buy a PS3 a few months ago. It cost less than one of my video cards and I instantly loved it too. It was so nice to not have to worry about drivers, requirements etc etc etc anymore. I can just crash out on the couch and play whatever game. You just buy the game and pop it in, that simple. No more "This game CTD's all the time", or "This game has crappy FPS". I was also really hesitant about playing FPS games on a console as I'm rather old school and only used a keyboard and mouse in the past. But after about two weeks of playing COD4, I got used to it and now I actually prefer it. I really like the consoles because I don't have to sit at a desk anymore too.
        I have a 46" 1080P TV which does make the games look great. But keep in mind that coming from 1680 x 1050 res on a pc you will notice a bit of a difference. Mainly in the much lower AA abilities of the consoles. I used to use 16X AA on my PC's. But the trade off is minimal to be honest. I recently bought an Xbox 360 (for Gears of War mainly) but also for the large game selection. (By the way, Gears is the greatest FPS since Half Life...and I never thought I'd say that).
        Sorry to ramble on, but to sum up, I say buy a console and just keep your pc for RTS games, MMO games, and flight sims. That's really all that's left that the PC does better. (Right now)

Hope this helps...

-Lister

Comment

I've been thinking of xbox too, for FFOW (with VOIP) and bad company (only on xbox), undecided as of yet

Comment

I'd make a stinky in my pants if you get a 360 and play with us 360 boys Silver!

Comment

Originally posted by Lister314 View Post
              (By the way, Gears is the greatest FPS since Half Life...and I never thought I'd say that).
              Have you tried playing it online? Because its a laggy mess. The host can literally cut down all the other players with his shotgun (which, by the way, is the only weapon ever used online, except for the sniper and the boom shot)

Comment

Originally posted by Io Dragone View Post
                Have you tried playing it online? Because its a laggy mess. The host can literally cut down all the other players with his shotgun (which, by the way, is the only weapon ever used online, except for the sniper and the boom shot)
                I totally agree, online it sucks. I do like the coop though.
                I'm just referring to the gameplay style of the game, it's just a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Lister314 View Post
                  I totally agree, online it sucks. I do like the coop though.
                  I'm just referring to the gameplay style of the game, it's just a lot of fun.
                  I'm with ya there, hopefully they'll fix the online multiplayer for Gears 2 this november.

Comment

Working...
                  X