Racing Rookie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing Rookie

I am really enjoying Forza Motorsport 2 and figured this would be a great place for a rookie driver to get some advice on strategies and tactics for the game. At this point, Iím working my way through the Proving Grounds in Career mode and feel comfortable enough to drive without the assistance lines. However, I canít say I feel comfortable in anything above the D class cars or perhaps one of the lesser C models. The higher classes obviously handle better, but they just have too much power for me to control with any confidence.

The biggest issue that I face right now is turning. I am starting to figure out the basic tactics in regards to proper lines, but figure thatís something that everyone strives to perfect. What I am really struggling to find out is when to accelerate, ease up on the gas, and brake. For example, when I move up to a higher rated car and attempt a track that I have previously driven, I tend to gather too much speed and either end up in a wall or coming to a dead stop to take the turn. Experience is usually the best way to improve in anything, but I thought it might be good to figure out how to actually become a better driver and not just try to make my way through a race.

My goal isnít to be the best driver within a week, rather just one that can get through a track without tearing the place up. So, what are some of the better ways to improve my driving from someone holding on for dear life around the track to a confident driver ready to take things to the next level?

On a side note, FM2 seems to be a perfect fit for the community. I could certainly see track strategies, race tactics and car loadouts being discussed with as much passion as flanking maneuvers or covering fire. Not to mention what a little teamwork could accomplish in a tight race. I hope we can spark a few related posts to get the ball rolling and look forward to some track talk.

Re: Racing Rookie

if you check the officil site, www.forzamotorsport2.net I think, at work now... they have strategies for every track, along with tons of other info.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Disclaimer: I didn't write this, just typed it here ;)

Braking techniques you should try and get into habit;
      Straight-line Braking
      As you're approaching a corner, you break in a straight line, slow down until you're at the proper speed to turn in, and then drive through the corner. If you break and turn at the same time, your tires can't use all of their grip on the braking maneuver. Instead some traction is used to turn the car, and the rest is used for braking. This means you can brake more effectively if you use straight-line braking before you turn. Best to practice this with the Suggested Line option turned on - you just braking in a straight line until the guide turns yellow, and then turn into the corner. When you're driving without the anti-lock brakes, braking without locking up is challenging, but once mastered, you'll have better control over your brakes.

Trail Braking
      Trail braking often works better than straight-line braking on slow, tight turns. You start out braking in a straight line, but as the car slows down, you ease off the brake and carefully turn into the corner. At this point you'll be going slowly enough that you can turn safely, and the act of turning slows your car as you corner.

Other options
      If you downshift while you brake into a corner, you'll slow down your engine as you slow down your car. An advanced technique called "engine braking" involves downshifting without braking to slow down. It isn't easy, since downshifting at the wrong time can damage your engine. Done correctly, you'll slow down a little while shifting. Even if you don't use engine braking, you'll usually want to downshift going into a turn so you're in the right gear to accelerate back out of it.

My own personal tips for upgrades;
      Upgrade tires first and foremost. Then brakes. The better you can control your car, the better your times will be. HP doesn't mean spit if you cant control it :row__642:

Dealing with over-steer and under-steer can be made easy with the aerodynamics upgrades, just take your car around a track with them on, and tune as necessary. Also keep tire pressure in mind. I think the game has descriptions for each tuning option, explaining the effects.

I too had worries about getting into the higher-class cars, but, honestly, I can't stand D-class cars anymore! Too dang slow and not enough power in my control :row__642: Just take the above as you will, and find yourself a car (or type of car) you can be comfortable with. Personally speaking, I can drive anything with FWD around a track while RWD... takes some getting used to. Nothing says over-steer like a RWD with 550 HP :row__631:
      -

Comment

Since it seems a large part of the regular Saturday crowd decided to try out the new maps for Call of Duty 4, I spent the early afternoon playing FM2. I completed all but one of the Proving Ground events, but the heavy circuit with its powerful engines and rear wheel drive cars was a little too much for me. After playing some of the arcade races and time trials, I ventured into the online section and found a D class tournament conducting time trials. It might be a joke and I’ll probably finish toward the bottom, but it has given me something to work towards and been a great way to improve my driving.

My car is a simple 2005 Scion tC, which was the one I started out with and seems to be a perfect fit for a rookie like me. I did make a few upgrades to increase its handling and have to say they have made a world of difference. Set on at least making the tournament’s cut, I headed off to run a few qualification laps. About ten laps and two restarts later, the light bulb finally went off! Yes, I finally realized that you’ve got to finesse your way into and around a turn and not charge them like a bull in a china shop.

Sure enough, once I started applying my brakes with a lot more care, easing off of them before actually taking a turn, and accelerating at the far side, I started to take full seconds off my times. I went from struggling to even get around the track to actually trying to find the best way around it. One, two, three and eventually six seconds fell to the wayside and I eventually shattered the mark I was shooting for to get into the tournament.

So, as of right now, I’ve qualified for the upcoming D class tournament. It’s being run on the Tsukuba Circuit and I managed to initially place myself in the 149th slot out of 192 drivers. I’ve been losing position over the last hour or so as more drivers qualify, but I hope to shave some time off of my own laps later this evening. If anyone is up for a few friendly races to help me get accustomed to the track with an actual field of drivers, please let me know.

Comment

Good to hear you're starting to improve your times, Pfeil! The key certainly is finesse; speeding around the track will usually have you correcting yourself more often than not.
          -

Comment

Actually, I’ve been gunning for you, Clodhopper! You seem to have the fastest times on most tracks of everyone on my Friends list, so my goal has been to match your time on Tsukuba Circuit. This has really helped me, as the qualification bar for the tournament has dropped from 01:08.237 at noon to 01.04:020 before the end of the evening. I got bumped from the cut twice and had to run several more laps to remain eligible for the event.

During my last attempt, I tried to forget about the bar and focused on breaking your mark of 01.03:352. It must have worked, because I shaved over two seconds off of my personal best with a lap of 01:03.704. I’m not sure where you were able to trim off those fractions of a second, but it was good enough to keep me in contention for a slot in the tournament.

She’s not pretty, but here’s the car I’m trying to qualify with:

I’ll post a few details later for anyone that’s interested in its specifics and would certainly appreciate any pointers in terms of upgrades. As long as I don’t fall out of contention, I plan to take a little time to get a decent paint job on her. Nothing fancy, of course, but even a pinstripe would help dress it up a bit.

My thanks to Clodhopper for the help … even though you didn’t even realize it.

:row__572:

Comment

lol, you stay away from my times!

This is a Neon I did earlier this week, for a friend of mine. I tried to replicate another design I seen online. It's basic, and it looks good (imo).

For upgrades.. it really all depends on the car. I've never driven that Scion, so I really couldn't help you on that. But as of now, I think I'll need to buy one and give it a spin, especially since you're getting to close to killing my records :P
              -

Comment

Another rookie's dreams are shattered ... 01:02.904.

Yep, the qualification bar was lowered and I'm not sure I'll have the time to make another attempt at making the cut. That's faster than Clodhopper's best, so I might have to accept defeat for now. However, I learned a lot within just a few days and the experience alone was a lot of fun. I'll take a stab at the next one with another car and a little more driving time under my belt.

If anything, it will help me get ready for the SimHQ/TG Summer Series in May.

Comment

I just wanted to give you guys a little tool I've been using for tuning... my little secret weapon:
                  Forza 2 Suspension Calculator

It's remarkably easy to use, just keep in mind some settings you won't be able to set to be exactly as shown on the calculator; just get as close as you can.
                  -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X