Nice, Leisurely Sunday Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice, Leisurely Sunday Drive

Anyone interested in a friendly race or two on Sunday?

Iíve been working my way through Forza Motorsport 2ís career mode and figured it was time to take the next step and face a few human opponents. The SimHQ Summer Series is only a few weeks out, so this would be a chance for everyone involved in it to spend some time in the R series. It might also serve as a nice break for anyone playing another title over the weekend.

These would be friendly races with an emphasis on helping each other prepare for the event in May. It would give us a chance to test drive different cars in race conditions, familiarize ourselves with the track, and share tuning tips with each other. I figured we could get things rolling with Sebring International Raceway in R4 class cars. If this weekend is a success, we can follow it up with other sessions focused on the other tracks and classes in the series.

So, if youíre up for some racing on Sunday afternoon around 3:00PM EST, let me know.

Re: Nice, Leisurely Sunday Drive

I should be on.. send an invite ;)
    -

Comment

Nice! I promise not to keep you away from Call of Duty 4 for too long, Clodhopper.

Comment

OT: I don't do much on Sun DAY's... honey do's and all... but a week prior to each race I will be throwing up a race server a couple of times a day with the class and track for the week... I'll leave friend slots open for testing and practice... I'm talking an hour or 2 in the morning and afternoon...whenever I have the time...so after this V2 weekend, look for me and my server till race day. ;)
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Thanks, Magnum. I'll be sure to take advantage of the practice time. The R series of cars are beasts compared to those I've been using in the career mode.

Off to get a few laps in before Clodhopper jumps on and leaves me in the dust.

Comment

That was a ton of fun, I hope we can do it again... maybe even with a couple more drivers.

Pfeil, thanks for setting it up buddy. Invite me whenever if I'm online... more often than not, I'd be more than happy to go race as opposed to babysitting the toddlers on CoD4 :row__642:
            -

Comment

Yeah, that was a blast. We only had a few races, but they were a lot of fun and will help get us ready for the Summer Series. It was great to be able to discuss the different cars, styles of driving and approaches to the track with you and Magnum. I learned a lot more from the two of you in a brief hour than I have in several hours racing alone. Letís try to do it more often and perhaps others will join us.

By the way, that D class ďrust bucketĒ you gifted to me runs like a charm, Clodhopper. I ended up qualifying for an online tournament with it and shaved my lap time on Tsukuba Circuit to 01:02.384. Thatís even faster than my mentorís best!

Comment

Awesome, glad it worked out man! Thats my favorite D-Class car, followed by my Eagle Talon (which, was my first car). What tournament are we talking about here now, is this online? Perhaps I should sign up (Mr. Burns "Excellent" pose)

That particular car is pretty common in D-Class races online, if I recall correctly. The main reason I tried it. Asking for tips, I was told to bring he weight down as much as possible, use those aerodynamic upgrades to downgrade your cars class number, then apply whatever performance upgrades you can to maximize your kM (power).
                -

Comment

you already signed up for it dummy, lol. ;)

STARTING GRID (meaning who's racing in the series.):
                  Magnum
                  Pfunk
                  Pfiel
                  Clodhopper
                  Skate
                  Thomas (mute71)
                  Joe (Kerpal-CZ)
                  SkateZilla
                  Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

We're racing D-class cars? I thought we were racing cars with a little more ummpf :row__632:

... Woah woah woah WAIT A MINUTE! 1:02.384?!

(powers up the xbox)
                    -

Comment

yes... read the announcement you were sent when i asked if you were interested, all explained there.

plus I will be giving a weeks notice of the track and cars for practice purposes.
                      Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Yup, got that much... but I'd still like to know which online tourney Pfeil was talking about :P

Pfeil... sorry man... I get kinda competitive. 1:01.734, and I refuse to tell you how long it took me to achieve that... as it damages my ego :row__642:. But, if you're running that with an auto transmission... well, I'm gonna have to start throwing you into walls when you go manual just to beat you! 1:02.xxx with an automatic transmission freakin' scares me!
                        Last edited by Clodhopper; 04-22-2008, 09:20 AM. Reason: buggered up the specifics
                        -

Comment

best I've done is 1:14... so i got some work to do.
                          Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

BTW...you know you can check all your friends best time in game...so you know how well or bad you'll do...barring any "incidences"...
                            Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Originally posted by Clodhopper View Post
                              Yup, got that much... but I'd still like to know which online tourney Pfeil was talking about :P
                              This wasnít related to the SimHQ Summer Series. Turn 10 holds online tournaments on a regular basis within the multiplayer tab. They have a qualification period and the top drivers move onto gold, silver and bronze brackets of 64 drivers. For example, the D class tournament I qualified for had its time trial on Tsukuba Circuit with a qualification bar of 01:02.445. Over 1,500 players tried to make the cut, but only the top 192 became official entrants. I popped a time of 01:02.384 and grabbed the 185th seed, which placed me in the bronze bracket (bottom third of entrants).

The brackets are broken down into groups of 8 drivers who go on to compete in 4 rounds to determine an overall winner. The top 4 drivers in each race move onto to the next round and face off on different tracks in each phase of the tournament. For example, Tsukuba Circuit was selected for the first round and Maple Valley Short was used in the second.

Unfortunately, these tournaments are not monitored by Turn 10, so the latest one was run during Xbox Liveís recent downtime and nobody was able to make their race times. I also read a few posts on the Forza forums that suggest it is not uncommon for players to miss their races, as they are run at odd times automatically generated by the tournament system, and the prizes are the same as regular races, which doesnít seem to be much motivation to compete in the event.

These tournaments may not be run well, but itís been a lot of fun trying to qualify for them. Once I can consistently make their cuts, I might try some of the ones run by various online racing communities.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X