Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising

This summer has been filled with new releases and announcements of some highly anticipated titles, but one that has fallen under the radar is Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising. While there isnít a whole lot of information available about this sequel to the original Xbox game, it seems to be one that should garner a lot of attention from our community. TeamXbox.com published a preview of the game in July, based on conversations with the developers from Codemasters at E3, and it looks like we may finally get a true simulation for the Xbox 360.

Originally posted by Tom Price, TeamXbox.com

The original OpFlash still wasnít for everyone - not every gamer wants a hardcore simulation in their shooters - but the sequel, Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising, does intend to be for everyone, while remaining true to its simulation roots.

Dragon Rising intends to remain true to its roots by being an exacting simulation. Nothing is simplified for the sake of gameplay.
    Codemastersí official website for the game doesnít offer much other than a brief video and a few renders. Their forums did reveal a lot of links to other websites with previews and fan discussion. One in particular includes the presentation they gave at E3 posted on Gametrailers.com.

There is a section within the Armed Assault forums for Dragon Rising, as its being developed for the PC as well. However, it is hard to tell what differences there will be in the console version and I figured it would be easier to keep track of the Xbox 360 game in this forum. If it remains true to its roots, we could be in for a real gem.

Re: Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising

Just an update for anyone following this title, TeamXbox posted six new screenshots of Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising.

I like the overall look they are developing and am excited to see so much detail being put in the environments and equipment.

Comment

if you look in the ArmA forum, you'll see they have there own OFP2 forum... of course there mainly talking about the PC version, while we in here are referring to the console versions.

As a reviewer for SimHQ... I usually end up getting 2 of everything to review, report etc etc on them...ie: GRAW2, R6V2, CoD4... and it will be the same most likely for ArmA2 and OFP2...

so looking forward to it all. ;)
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Well, I know this for a fact, coming from the ArmA side of the community. ArmA is NOT a game that could be played on the Xbox 360, there's just too many complex controls. So I'm not sure how well this whole thing is going to work out.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
        Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
        Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

Actually... I disagree... you don't use all those controls at once... when your on the ground it's a shooter, in a vehicle you drive, Chopper...you fly... I think the D pad is used for selecting your AI units and issuing orders... the Xbox 360 controller, as you know, has 14 buttons and 2 sticks... that plenty.

JMO
          Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I think it all depends on how Codemasters implements those controls. Civilization was the last series I thought would work well on the Xbox 360, but itís rock solid in terms of putting everything at your finger tips on the controller. In fact, even Rainbow Six Vegas offers players a lot, between weapon selection, rate of fire, squad commands and a tactical map. A slower and more tactical pace to a game might also allow you time to make adjustments with a more complex set of controls.

I enjoyed some of what ArmA offered gamers on the PC and would be happy with even half of the same style of gamplay with Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising for the Xbox 360. It really just needs to take a step forward on the tactical end of things to give us a good offering on the console.

Comment

I have been watching the play by play of this game it is going to be a PC must have if it is pulled off even close to the quality of the the first one and it seems to be to me.

They have said they will be relesing the source code so that you can design your own maps and missions (like in the first one).

The first had missions that could be as unique as you wanted them to from single sniper missions to heavy full on assault missions. If the missions that are made on PC can be ported over to 360 or if 360 can make missions the game will have a very long life that will be diverse.
              sigpic

Comment

I really don't know what to say about this game. I missed out on the first title, but I"ve always wanted to play it. Have been unable to get a copy though, so it's still something I've yet to play

Judging from the stories I've heard though, OpFlashpoint was incredible and I'm looking forward to this one. If anything will topple GRAW2 for me, it'll be this.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
                  Actually... I disagree... you don't use all those controls at once... when your on the ground it's a shooter, in a vehicle you drive, Chopper...you fly... I think the D pad is used for selecting your AI units and issuing orders... the Xbox 360 controller, as you know, has 14 buttons and 2 sticks... that plenty.

JMO
                  I'm assuming you're counting the start button. Actually though, now that I think about it, you could. I.E. holding buttons down for other actions and stuff. I never really thought about it until just now actually.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
                  Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
                  Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X