Movies, Us and Our Xbox 360

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies, Us and Our Xbox 360

My wife and I don’t go to the movies very often, usually just to catch those few films that should be seen in a theater. We used to rent a lot of movies, but our local Blockbusters closed and Best Buy started selling most releases for only a few dollars more than a rental fee. Unfortunately, it’s left us with a bookcase of DVDs, many of which I doubt we’ll ever watch again.

I finally put my foot down and promised ourselves we’d only purchase those films we knew we’d want to keep, like Oscar winners and our favorite genres. Since we have Directv, we got by for a long time catching things on pay-per-view. The drawback was its selection, which is limited to only a handful of titles.

After finally settling on an Xbox 360, I poked around the LIVE Marketplace and noticed its large selection of movies and television shows. This week, we finally broke down and purchased one. Needless to say, I think we’re found a winner for us. I threw a few Microsoft Points onto my account, selected our movie, and was sitting back on the couch with my wife watching it within minutes. The quality of the film was just as good as our DVDs and the buffer was more than enough to allow us to stream it without interruption. In terms of cost, it was actually cheaper than our typical pay-per-view and considerably less than a rental fee. On top of everything else, I didn’t have to clear more space in the bookshelf to hold another mediocre title.

The recent announcement of Netflix partnering with Microsoft to offer its downloadable service to Xbox LIVE users is starting to look even better. We have slow mail service in our town, so renting movies from Netflix hasn’t been an option for us. After our recent experience, I’m excited at the thought of being able to watch any film or television show from its selection for a monthly fee.

I was a little skeptical about Microsoft’s desire to make their console an entertainment system, rather than just a gaming platform. The more we dive into our Xbox 360, however, the more I have to give them credit for some of its features. It’s certainly fast becoming the primary source of entertainment in our home.

Re: Movies, Us and Our Xbox 360

I haven't used the Netflix or Marketplace movie, but I use the streaming feature to play a massive variety of downloaded content on the 360. A big winner for Anime and the like that is sometimes difficult to come by.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I've rented at least a dozen movies, and a few TV shows... good service, no problems what so ever.
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Yea this looks like a huge winner for them as long as they have enough bandwidth for it. I am really looking forward to not having to wait for the next DVD to come in the mail. I don't like the new Avatars but I can deal with that as the other system upgrade features look awesome.

Comment

Really looking forward to the NetFlix service. Just wondering how the subscription will be handled as a tie-in too one's NetFlix account or through Microsoft points. Hopefully it's via NetFlix.
          |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
          "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
          - Check me out on The Onion
          - I'm on the local news!

Comment

I personally dont really buy any movies from XBLM, (I think Ive only gotten 2 of them) but I do download quite a few TV shows. And the only thing that I didnt like about the movie service, when compared to the TV shows, is that it is only a rental. I personally like to own the movies that I get and be able watch them on a whim. But it still isnt likely to happen even with the netflix service, so I'll still end up having my 4 bookshelves full of DVD's (and counting).

I still like the fact that Microsoft is doing great in terms of pushing their service forward and continually adjusting things to work better, or easier, though.

Originally posted by deathknight View Post
            I don't like the new Avatars but I can deal with that as the other system upgrade features look awesome.
            It isnt a requirement to create or use the avatar system, as I have read in a few articles. You can continue to just use your gamerpic.
            Focused

Comment

I have DLed a few movies and only ever had a problem once when we Dled the french version of a movie. We called MS and the guy gave us a cerdit so we could DL the right one and that happened very fast.

We usualy start a DL then go make supper, by the time were ready to eat it is downloaded totaly.

We often rent a movie on the way home from work and dont watch it for a few days meaning we pay more when we bring it back. To me the single best part of it is that there is no movie to return ever so NO LATE FEES! We plan to rent more.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                Really looking forward to the NetFlix service. Just wondering how the subscription will be handled as a tie-in too one's NetFlix account or through Microsoft points. Hopefully it's via NetFlix.
                If I read all the promotional information correctly, Xbox LIVE Gold subscribers who are NetFlix members will be able to download content directly to their console for no additional cost. Users will have to create and edit their selections online via NetFlix's website, so it sounds like they are just adding another option to their existing service.

Comment

I'm in Massachusetts (Boston area) and used to use Netflix. I'd mail them off on day one and have my next title in the mail on day 3 or day 4. I'm surprised to hear you say your mail service is too slow for Netflix.
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I used netFlix for almost 3 years, and loved the service...fast and easy... but i dropped them when i found I could rent movies in HD via XBL. ;)
                    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                      I'm in Massachusetts (Boston area) and used to use Netflix. I'd mail them off on day one and have my next title in the mail on day 3 or day 4. I'm surprised to hear you say your mail service is too slow for Netflix.
                      We tried NetFlix earlier this year and the turnaround was over ten days. It had less to do with their service and more with the fact my local Post Office is slower than molasses. Despite living in the Metropolitan Boston area, even a simple letter mailed from a neighboring town can take up to four days to reach my mailbox. Rain, sleet or shine... but never on time.

Comment

Netflix recently added Starz Play to their stream service, which will boost selections for the Xbox 360.

Originally posted by TeamXbox.com

Netflix and Starz Entertainment announced today that movies through Starz Play will be available for instant streaming via Netflix at no additional cost to Netflix members. When the New Xbox Experience launches this fall, Xbox 360 owners with unlimited Netflix subscriptions will have instant access to Starz Play’s library of 2,500 movies, TV shows and concerts.

The Starz Play library will be available in addition to the 12,000 choices available through Netflix and the 15,000 pieces of video content for purchase or rental through Xbox LIVE Video Store.

Starz Play’s programming includes favorite hit movies and TV shows including “Spider-ManTM 3,” “Ratatouille,” “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End” and “Superbad.”

I can’t wait for the update to hit our dashboard!

Comment

Not available for Canadians. Why am I not surprised?
                          -

Comment

Not a complete deal breaker but hopefully this will improve in the future. Hope the resolution is not bad as decribed.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/924/924636p1.html
                            |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                            - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Now I read it's getting HD:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6200292...dlines;title;3

I'm confused.
                              |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                              - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse