Fallout 3, can't decide...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fallout 3, can't decide...

Fallout 3 comes out next week, never played the first 2...and not much of an CRPG player, but I do want to check this out, the gameplay and all... but can't decide whether to get it for the 360 or the PC...

The 360 version should be bug free and properly supported, but will be hard to dedicate time to the game when the family is home and using the TV...

On the other hand, I have a powerful PC, but the PC is the bastard of video gaming now, low support, tech issues, etc etc...

anyone else getting this game? 360 or PC, (or PS3)?
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: Fallout 3, can't decide...

I'd go for the PC version. Should they ever release a mod kit, you'd regret to have bought the console version.

Comment

I bought both versions of Oblivion and preferred my Xbox360 version due to it's complete lack of crash bugs. The mods were fun, but nothing special. I'd rather play than fight with multiple mod-compatibility issues and crash bugs.

I'll be renting this one before I buy it... no particular reason other than I really don't have much money to spend on myself with December right around the corner.

I'll buy it eventually, as I'm a big fan of sandbox games, and an even bigger fan of apocalyptic stories! It'll be a 360 purchase first.
      -

Comment

This wasn’t even on my radar a few weeks ago, but I might actually pick it up. Official Xbox Magazine ran a multi-page review of Fallout 3 in their latest issue and gave it a 10 out of 10 rating. It seems right up my alley and I have been itching to play a quality RPG on the Xbox 360. It’s either this or Fable II.

Comment

This is a tough question.
          Xbox is my opinion
          Does your monitor double as a TV?

Comment

I plan on getting the XBox version, although maybe not on day 1. I also own Oblivion on PC and XBox, and mods / tweaks can be great, but I felt as if I spent too much time "adjusting" the game and setup than actually playing the game. I enjoyed the XBox version much more playing it the way the developers set it up, straight out of the box. If ever a "killer" mod comes out in the future for PC, I should be able to get Fallout 3 for the PC for a lower price by then.

I played the original Fallout years ago, and am also drawn to the rpg / open play it offers.
            |TG-6th|FYAH29
            "So Far, So Good................So What"

Comment

magnum do you ever work? :)
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

I also suggest the Xbox 360 version. Unless it’s exclusive to the PC platform, I don’t see a reason to opt for anything but the console. There are fewer bugs that lead to crashes and those that do exist are normally squashed with a quick update. You don’t have to put up with the hassle of making sure your system can run a game or deal with compatibility issues. Xbox LIVE is certainly superior to Xfire, TeamSpeak or any other PC software used to communicate within games. Downloadable content can keep a title fresh well after its launch and in some cases replace the need for mods.
                Last edited by Pfeil22; 10-19-2008, 07:44 PM. Reason: Spelling error.

Comment

Who's this Trooper guy?!

;)
                  -

Comment

yep, work nights then game all day.... who needs sleep, or physical fitness, or a social life... all over rated. ;)
                    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I'm going with the 360 version, I think it will have less problems and its getting exclusive download content.
                      A interesting fact though, Did you know the first Fallout game was not called fallout ? It was called WASTELAND and was published back in 1987 by Electronic Arts.
                      The game's name was then sold and when the rights could not be purchased again the name was changed to Fallout. The very first fallout game was actually WASTELAND ! And it was freaking GREAT !
                      DESODE
                      Gamertag 360= DESODE

Comment

My vote is for the PC version but only because I like the ability to tweak. Most will probably go with the console version and there really isn't a bad decision.

Originally posted by Desode View Post
                        I'm going with the 360 version, I think it will have less problems and its getting exclusive download content.
                        A interesting fact though, Did you know the first Fallout game was not called fallout ? It was called WASTELAND and was published back in 1987 by Electronic Arts.
                        The game's name was then sold and when the rights could not be purchased again the name was changed to Fallout. The very first fallout game was actually WASTELAND ! And it was freaking GREAT !
                        DESODE
                        I think the first Fallout game was called Fallout. :P Fallout's theme and style is based on Wasteland so it isn't a standard sequel nor is it necessary to play Wasteland to fully enjoy Fallout's story. I would argue that the games are related but not that close. ;) I think Interplay described Fallout as Wasteland's spiritual successor.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I already pre-ordered for the PC. Was thinking of getting of the 360 version but went with the PC for a number of reasons:

1)Generally speaking, most SINGLE player PC games I've played don't have game breaking bugs. Yes, there are always those titles that do (Stalker,etc.) but for the most part the bigger titles don't from my experience. I would agree that patching may be a bit easier on the Xbox but with patches are always readily available for the PC and not super difficult to install - and that's coming from me who has the least amount of technical skills of anyone at TG. I just don't see this game having any real issues with bugs. I generally don't ever add any mods to my games so it's not really a concern for me.

2)I prefer using a mouse and keyboard when playing, especially a game of this depth. Console controller is not bad it's just no where near the control and accuracy of a mouse/keyboard. I suppose it's all what you get used too but going from a mouse/keyboard to a console controller it just feels alot slower for me. Using a mouse/keyboard really allows one to react and look around quicker. A mouse/controller just feels more alive for me if that makes sense.

3)Unless your blessed with a 50"+ screen and suround sound, you can't beat a monitor sitting two feet from you and headset for clarity and sound. When playing my Xbox, I have a tendency to sit back, chair, coach and it's difficult to read text from a few feet away even though I have a 32" LCD TV. No, I don't have bad eye sight, or need thicker glasses, and yes I could move closer to the screen but at that point I would not be that much further away than playing my PC. My neighbors would kill me if I had free standing surround stand speakers though I could use my headphones on my Xbox but that would be the same as my PC.

4)Games look great on a 360 but a PC will always trump consoles for graphic quality. This is a game I want to see in all it's glory.

I like playing on a console I just think in many ways a PC has the edge in some respects.
                          |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                          "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                          - Check me out on The Onion
                          - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                            My vote is for the PC version but only because I like the ability to tweak. Most will probably go with the console version and there really isn't a bad decision.

I think the first Fallout game was called Fallout. :P Fallout's theme and style is based on Wasteland so it isn't a standard sequel nor is it necessary to play Wasteland to fully enjoy Fallout's story. I would argue that the games are related but not that close. ;) I think Interplay described Fallout as Wasteland's spiritual successor.

I read this in a interview with Todd Howard the head producer of fallout 3.

Host: "Glad to have you with us Todd. What are some of the things that influenced your making of this fallout 3 ? "

Todd: "Well, I think with this Fallout, we all wanted to take the series back to its roots. Fallout really started with the game Wasteland by Interplay and do to legal problems the name became Fallout in 1997.
                            The first Fallout game made it pretty clear in its story that it came from Wasteland and in fact it makes sereval in game references to Wasteland. Your going to see a lot of the skills and weapons from Wasteland in this Fallout. Here at Bethesda we are really excited about expanding on the deep and intriquit world created with Wasteland and the Fallout series. I think that the hardcore fans out there are going to be amazed when they see what all we have put in this game."

Well ,the head producer of fallout 3 seems to think that there pretty close ,when he makes a comment like that.
                            DESODE
                            Gamertag 360= DESODE

Comment

I have a pretty decent home theater setup (dedicated room, projector, screen, 6.1 setup, etc...) with the 360 but for a game like FO3 PC for sure hands down. If for nothing more than the much better graphics that will help with immersion. Even though I do play 360 games I always prefer the mouse/keyboard to the 360 controller as well.

I think it will be fun on the 360, but a more comfortable, and immersive experience for me on PC. For reference I played Mass Effect on the 360 but found sitting so far away from even a really huge screen was not the environment I want for a CRPG. For example I am playing The Witcher now and it has been a great experience on the PC, I dont think it would have been as good on the 360, and for sure it would have looked a ton worse. Xbox 720 might be another story, if they only would allow M/K control! :)
                              Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X