The new X-box Experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new X-box Experience

What does everyone think about the update?

Has anyone tryed the Netflix support? If so is it worth it? I used to have Netflix and im thinking about getting it back.
    |TG| Plude220

Re: The new X-box Experience

I'm not crazy about the new menus, but I hear good things about the Netflix. If you check your friends list you're bound to see a few people always watching a flick. The new menus add steps to get to things, not that it is hard it just adds a few extra clicks. I find pressing the center button and using that menu is really convenient for all things.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I like the New Xbox Experience and think it is a good step forward for the Xbox 360. The avatars are a bit childish to me, but I donít think they are a distraction at all. They are actually pretty neat to use in avatar enabled games like A Kingdom for Keflings. It will be interesting to see what Microsoft decides to publish for additional customization options and whether or not they will come with a price tag.

The party feature is a fantastic addition to the dashboard. Clodhopper, Delta and I used to exchange a lot of messages and hold separate chats about what game to play together or who was going to host a session, but now we can meet as a group, discuss particulars and jump right into a game. I was pleased to learn that parties can also select between party and game chat to avoid not being able to interact with other gamers outside of the group.

Netflix is probably the best addition and itís even gotten my wife to turn on our Xbox 360. The streaming selection isnít as robust as the full catalog, but there is plenty to keep us busy between physical rentals. Weíre in the midst of watching several television shows we have been curious about, 30 Rock, Heroes and Weeds, and itís great to be able to do so without having to rent a bunch of DVDs. The video quality is decent, though we do not have a high definition set anyway, and weíve only run into a few instances that a show needed to rebuffer due to traffic. However, even those few instances lasted much less than a typical commercial.

The new menu system is much smoother and certainly feels more intuitive. I would agree with Khan that some of the features are a bit cumbersome, like the friends section, and I also tend to use the guide button for some things. The ability to browse items in the Marketplace is also a great addition.

The ability to copy games to the hard drive is another fantastic addition. While this may not decrease all load times or help ease every graphical hiccup, it is absolutely outstanding to be able to play games without my Xbox 360 sounding like a rocket headed for space. I have to imagine this will also give me a better chance of not experiencing hardware failure, since the disc drive only spins to verify that I own a game.

Overall, it was worth the wait and I certainly like the new dashboard. The update wasnít perfect, but itís a big step forward and I canít wait to see whatís in store down the line for the Xbox 360.

Comment

The copy to hard drive and party functions are my two favorites. Like Pfeil mentioned, it is a great way to coordinate a cross games or during loading to get some chat in. I think I might break down and have to do the switch from Blockbuster Online back to Netflix. The streaming is just too difficult to pass up.
        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I agree. The friends list is a little sluggish, but the overall performance of the update is MUCH, much smoother. I.E. Opening the dashboard in-game, is much quicker. Apparently though, there are things missing from the update? I won't judge though. The avatars are childish. I'm childish, therefore, they amuse me.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
          Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
          Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X