Aiming with Controllers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aiming with Controllers

I've always been a PC user when it came to gaming, for sure. I owned an xbox 360, and the wii, but it was only on the PC that I felt comfortable, specifically in FPS games.

But now, I'm out of my environment. I've moved from home up north to live with relatives while getting my education, and currently don't have a computer. This is not entirely a bad thing, but I just... I don't have any real skill when it comes to aiming with that little fidgety little thumbstick.

Having recently bought Red Faction Guerilla, I thought that the gameplay online at times seemed less horrible than most experiences for me, because of their nifty auto-aim which doesn't feel too over or underdone. But then, I went to go play Rainbow Six Vegas 2, and I realized that way too often I would end up either smashing the stick too hard and aiming past my target, or trying to lightly float it over the target, and ended up spending enough time for any player to take a shot on me.

So I ask, since you're my only place to ask and likely more experienced than me, what is your way to play? Do you crank up the sensitivity and play using soft movements? Do you lower the sensitivity to make yourself more accurate even when using hard movements of the stick? Do you go for a middle ground and try to just move the stick just right to get that balance of accuracy and quickness?

Do you have any tips that might come in handy for me? Maybe even games I should play more of to really hone my skills?

I ask you, TG, because I don't want to get horribly murdered online in FPS games anymore... It's really becoming more of a movie than a game at times, with how many bullets/projectiles/bolts of lighting/explosions I usually end up on the recieving end of...

(Off-Topic: I really do need some LIVE friends. If you have R6:V2, GoW2, L4D, BF1943, RF:G, or any FPS games, either add me through the Leaderboards, or let me know through this thread/pms that you have the games so I can add you)

Re: Aiming with Controllers

Gotcha covered man. I used to use a really low sensitivity for most shooter games, but online, it really doesn't help. I've found that cranking up the sensitivity is helpful, because most mouses (mice?) generally have a high sensitivity. I grew up on consoles and transferred to PC gaming, so I usually have trouble with mouse aiming. It just takes practice, as with anything, and eventually you'll be pullin' off headshots in no time.

My GT is Mr Monkey Man29, and I've got all the games you have listed up there.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
    - Sun Tzu

Comment

On all Xbox Live online games I turn the sensitivity all the way up. This will help mouse and keyboard users as aiming has a quicker feel. You will get used to using small stick movements and large stick movements to best suit your situation. The Bonus is this: When playing on PC many things can determine your performance. Ping, Mouse DPI/sensitivity, Graphic card, In game graphic setting, etc... On Console everyone has the same machine, If you set your sensitivity to max your as fast as every other player. It may take a while to get used to but in the end you'll be a competitor.

Comment

Load up a game, find a static object, practice looking away from it, then bringing your reticle/sight/whatever to bear on it as fast and as precisely as possible. At some point in time, your body will pick up a reflex for it.

Then again with a 360, you can never really be certain of your ping and/or packet loss. In CoD4, if my assault rifle isn't connecting when I know it should, I'll switch off to something like a sub-machine gun with stopping power and steady aim. Start firing around corners early and zig-zag like an epileptic.

For the record: both CoD games on 360 have a version of auto-aim for campaign. Most decent 360 games have alternatives to "run n gun" when it comes to online play.

BTW: Rainbow Six Vegas online MP blows. I avoid it like the plague unless it's me and 5 other friends. Even then, it's not that fun.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
          BTW: Rainbow Six Vegas online MP blows. I avoid it like the plague unless it's me and 5 other friends. Even then, it's not that fun.
          I know it does. I just can't keep entertained with one game's MP for extended periods of time.

Thanks for the tips guys, please keep them coming if you have any!

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
            I've always been a PC user when it came to gaming, for sure. I owned an xbox 360, and the wii, but it was only on the PC that I felt comfortable, specifically in FPS games.

But now, I'm out of my environment. I've moved from home up north to live with relatives while getting my education, and currently don't have a computer. This is not entirely a bad thing, but I just... I don't have any real skill when it comes to aiming with that little fidgety little thumbstick.

Having recently bought Red Faction Guerilla, I thought that the gameplay online at times seemed less horrible than most experiences for me, because of their nifty auto-aim which doesn't feel too over or underdone. But then, I went to go play Rainbow Six Vegas 2, and I realized that way too often I would end up either smashing the stick too hard and aiming past my target, or trying to lightly float it over the target, and ended up spending enough time for any player to take a shot on me.

So I ask, since you're my only place to ask and likely more experienced than me, what is your way to play? Do you crank up the sensitivity and play using soft movements? Do you lower the sensitivity to make yourself more accurate even when using hard movements of the stick? Do you go for a middle ground and try to just move the stick just right to get that balance of accuracy and quickness?

Do you have any tips that might come in handy for me? Maybe even games I should play more of to really hone my skills?

I ask you, TG, because I don't want to get horribly murdered online in FPS games anymore... It's really becoming more of a movie than a game at times, with how many bullets/projectiles/bolts of lighting/explosions I usually end up on the recieving end of...

(Off-Topic: I really do need some LIVE friends. If you have R6:V2, GoW2, L4D, BF1943, RF:G, or any FPS games, either add me through the Leaderboards, or let me know through this thread/pms that you have the games so I can add you)
            You need to ease your way into it. First off , when I first got my 360 I turned my sensitivity down. Now in close corners combat I would suffer from this, but I learned to out think my enemies and take my time when moving in. The low sensitivity let me get kills at a distance and yet learn the sticks and get a feel for them. I'd say after a month then turn it up a notch or two. Thats how I did it and now I play with the sensitivity pretty high and I can run and gun with the xbox 360 kidies. I still play smart though and that should be your first thing to learn. Don't get intimidated, or frustrated and take your time and think out your moves. Alot of console players just runn and gun and if you play smart and out think them , You'll be getting hate mail in no time ! LOL !
            DESODE
            Gamertag 360= DESODE

Comment

Originally posted by Desode View Post
              You need to ease your way into it. First off , when I first got my 360 I turned my sensitivity down. Now in close corners combat I would suffer from this, but I learned to out think my enemies and take my time when moving in. The low sensitivity let me get kills at a distance and yet learn the sticks and get a feel for them. I'd say after a month then turn it up a notch or two. Thats how I did it and now I play with the sensitivity pretty high and I can run and gun with the xbox 360 kidies. I still play smart though and that should be your first thing to learn. Don't get intimidated, or frustrated and take your time and think out your moves. Alot of console players just runn and gun and if you play smart and out think them , You'll be getting hate mail in no time ! LOL !
              DESODE
              That's interesting to hear, for sure. I've never really full-well thought it out like that.

I suppose that turning down the sensitivity really would cause you to think out close-quarters engagements so that you have an edge-up on the opponent even with your slow reflex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X