Used Jetskis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Jetskis

Hi, Im looking into buying a real nice pair of used jetskis. Now I am having trouble with determining the difference between good and bad. I mean a jetski looks like something that does not go bad too easily. But when I buy these I want to make sure they run and im not getting ripped off when i put them in the water. Does anyone have tips or things I should look for on a used jetki to know wether its all in good condition?
    Thanks!
    When I get home people'll ask me, "Hey, why do ya do it man? Why? Just some war junkie?" Ya know what I'll say? I won't say a goddamn word. Why? They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it. They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it. That's all it is.

Re: Used Jetskis

This is what my uncle told me, my family's looking into buying one also (He's a mechanic, works on boats and cars.) He said that unless you know the people who've owned the jetski the entire time they've owned it, and know they've babied it, then buy a new one. People screw around on jetskis all the time, and they are *usually* in bad condition. He said to go for a new one unless you're expressly sure that it isn't very messed up. He also said if you're buying a new one, then the new Yamaha with a horizontal motorcycle engine would probably be the most reliable and such.

Comment

I'll post a bit on this later. As a PWC enthusiast that was heavily involved in aftermarket upgrades, repair and maintenance of my own jetskis throughout the years, I can give you some tips. I just can't do it right now, time to leave for work!
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

LOL apophis thanks.
        Themuncher i'm surprised you said that they are usually bad, i always thought it was pretty hard to ruin a jetski. It's not like they rus or anything. Well like i said i only found a short artical on the internet about these jetskis. I would give a link but there are plenty of people on these forums and i would really be bumbed if someone took them after puting it up here.
        Anyways they are 1999's and discribed as garage kept, clean, & fast. I looked at the garage kept as being a positive. Now im just looking for some things i should look at when i get there to determine wether they are in good shape. I will look over the haul and so forth. Maybe ask the guy to turn them on right there(I have seen people turn jetskis on all the time out of the water, If this is a BAD idea then let me know). Just need some ideas on what to look out for.Thanks!
        BTW new is so far out of the question its crazy, i hardly have the money to buy used ones.
        When I get home people'll ask me, "Hey, why do ya do it man? Why? Just some war junkie?" Ya know what I'll say? I won't say a goddamn word. Why? They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it. They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it. That's all it is.

Comment

When looking at a used jetski/PWC there are a few things you need to do right off the bat.

1) Examine the bottom of the hull, if there are any long deep cuts it is an indication that the ski was beached regularly. This means that the operators rode at a decent speed right up onto the beach rather than cutting the engine and pulling the craft up on the shore. While this isn't entirely bad in itself, if they didn't cut the engine before hitting the sand, it's probable that sand and rocks were sucked into the intake grate underneath the ski.

2) Examine the intake grate and ride plate. The intake grate is a metal "grate" that is towards the rear of the ski. It is the where the water is sucked into the low pressure side of the pump. Make sure the grate is in good condition and doesn't appear to be all bent and gouged up. This is another indicator that the ski has been beached. The ride plate is the solid metal plate that extends from the intake grate to the rear of the ski. Examine for any bends/cracks.

3) Examine the pump housing at the rear of the ski and the jet pump nozzle. You're looking for any corrosion. If the ski was used in salt water it is VERY important that the whole system be flushed with clean water and the pump washed down after each use.

4) On the engine itself look for any rust or corrosion on the head bolts. Also make sure the shaft extending from the engine to the pump is free of corrosion.

5) Have them start up the ski. They SHOULD have a cold water fitting that allows them to hook up a hose to the ski to run it out of the water. If it is a two stroke model it will be normal to see a large cloud of smoke when it starts. The smoke should settle down a bit after it has been running for a minute. If they do not have a cold water fitting allowing them to operate the ski outside of the water you should be VERY concerned as it means the ski has never been flushed out after use as there is no means of doing so without this fitting. Oddly enough, this part is almost always an aftermarket part and not included from the factory. If they won't start them, don't buy them.

6) Examine the straps holding down the gas tank, they should not be brittle. They may show signs of some deterioration, but they should still be elastic and pliable.

7) Check the steering to make sure it moves freely.

Now that this is all done. Are these PWCs actuall JetSki's? JetSki is a trademark of Kawasaki. If so, what model are they?

JetSki = Kawasaki
          Waverunner = Yamaha
          SeaDoo = Bombardier
          AquaTrax = Honda

Out of the above brands, Kawasaki and Yamaha are my tried and true favorites. Kawasaki boats can take a serious beating and have a very long life. Yamaha boats are right up there as well and are quality boats.

Bombardier are decent, but I've known people to have a number of problems with them especially after a rollover incident. They are fast and very stylish though!

Honda is a new breed. They have a high performing R series of 4 stroke models including intercooled/turbocharged models. If I were to buy a new PWC, it would most certainly be a Honda R-12X.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

WOW apophis I owe you big tie, think i might print this little artical out and take it with me, this will help alot from now on thankyou very much. Btw they are yamahas 1998 and 1999 XLT1200. I do not know the 1998 but form pictures it looks like a GP style. Yea i knew that jetski was a brandname but its also a very general name. But they are waverunners. Thanks alot for all of your help.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X