Warning: Rakuten.com/Buy.com has ongoing credit card fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning: Rakuten.com/Buy.com has ongoing credit card fraud

I recently had to be issued a new credit card due to attempted fraudulent charges in early June. A similar incident occurred last year. I am quite careful in this area and with PC security so I have been quite perplexed how my CC info may have been breached.

After reading a "PSA" on another forum and doing some reading I think I can now pinpoint the cause to purchases made at Buy/Rakuten. I had originally not given any thought to the possibility that they would be the source(given their long history and size) but sure enough my CC issues line up to purchases made at their site weeks prior.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6018544-Raku...-Card-Charges?

http://consumerist.com/2013/06/06/he...card-breaches/
    |TG-12th|mantis

Re: Warning: Rakuten.com/Buy.com has ongoing credit card fraud

Wow, thanks for posting this. I just logged in at Rakuten and my own history corroborates this theory. I've had fraudulent charges twice this year and they both occured approximately two weeks after using cards there.

Very suspicious, indeed.

So should Rakuten be avoided entirely or is it safe to use Paypal, etc., when making purchases?

Comment

Re: Warning: Rakuten.com/Buy.com has ongoing credit card fraud

Dunno about payment types but I for one am not giving further business to a company that lets a major security hole stay open this long. Perhaps I would consider future business way down the line if they would be transparent about what happened and how they are resolving the issue but so far they are keeping quiet.
      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X