This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: AGP Video Card To Play Armed Assault

So I keep reading all of the Armed Assault threads and I'm VERY interested in it but from what I can see reading the threads it will pretty much be unbearable playing it with my 128MB Radeon 9600XT.

Let me start off by saying I just had to replace my motherboard because some RAM fried my old one and all I could get (i.e. afford) at that time was an AGP board because finances did not allow for both a MB and a PCI-E video card.

So, my current specs are:

P4 2.66Ghz
    1GB RAM
    Radeon 9600XT

It sounds like my CPU and RAM are sufficient to play Armed Assault at medium levels (which I'm fine with, I play BF2 at medium/low settings and it looks good enough for me and is playable) so I'm interested in seeing if anyone has a decent AGP card they are interested in parting with.

Or, should I just wait until tax refund season and get a new AGP card then? Won't have the funds then to move to a new MB either so all I'm in the market for is an AGP card decent enough to play Armed Assault (and hopefully Quake Wars as well).

Re: Wanted: AGP Video Card To Play Armed Assault

Im running ArmA with p4 3.0, radeon x850pro, 2 GB ram and play with everything on low at 1280x1024. My fps ranges from 20-50.

Comment

Best AGP card out there is the Gainward 7800 GS, but good luck finding it for a reasonable price. Sheesh!!

As far as value goes, Newegg has a BFG 7800 GS for $205.99 after MIR.

It's not worth paying more than around $200 for an AGP card, I'm afraid.

Comment

If you plan to upgrade to PCIe soon, I can sell you my eVGA 6800 card. It's the one where you can unlock the extra pipeline. It's even supported in Rainbow 6 Vegas, unlike the x850 Platinum I'm using now. I switched cards because the ATI performed better in most games.

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_unlocking/

Make me an offer on it, I'm not wanting much.

aculle01, are you running with AF/AA on low also? I have the x850 Platinum 256mb AGP and I'm running everything on normal, except shadows on low. I average about 30fps offline which is playable, but around 15-20 online.
        It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Comment

I've got a EVGA 6800GT 256MB sitting on my desk, too. Make me an offer if interested. It's only been used for a couple of days, never OC'd, and has original packaging.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

They have a X1950PRO AGP card. http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36274

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

That 6800 GT is a pretty good card Digital. I ran BF2 on meduim/high at 1024X 768 for a while before upgrading to PCI E and the 7900GT I have now. I bet that'd fix you up for AA.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Coridon View Post
                Best AGP card out there is the Gainward 7800 GS, but good luck finding it for a reasonable price. Sheesh!!

As far as value goes, Newegg has a BFG 7800 GS for $205.99 after MIR.

It's not worth paying more than around $200 for an AGP card, I'm afraid.

This man knows of what he speaks. I did alot of looking and research on good AGP cards around GRAW release time. The Gainward Bliss is the best there is (it's actually a 7900 because of the unlocked pipelines), but prepare to buy it from overseas and pay a fortune.

That BFG one is the one to go with if you stay with AGP.

On a personal note, after being stubborn and trying to stay with AGP, I am finally breaking down and converting to PCI-E. The video cards are cheaper and better and unless they make alot of optimizations to ArmA in the future, you're going to need all the beef a video card can give you...

-

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                  That 6800 GT is a pretty good card Digital. I ran BF2 on meduim/high at 1024X 768 for a while before upgrading to PCI E and the 7900GT I have now. I bet that'd fix you up for AA.

Digital,

The 6800GT would definitely get you in the game if you don't want to go with a brand new card. The 6800GS I run is PCI-e, but I have very playable framerates...I just want more!!!! I run most settings at low with a few at normal. I can run at 1024x768 with very low AA...or a a higher resolution without AA...just depends on how I feel..

IMO, if you plan on doing a whole system upgrade anytime soon, I would go with the 6800gt...if not then get yourself the fastest AGP card available..

Good Luck!!

Chappie

Comment

6800GT from ebay or someone here, 7800GS is a possibility (it's what I'm running for another month) or the 7600GT (best all arounder) are your best bets right now.

However, I wouldn't rule out picking up a cheap PCIe MB from ebay with an older PCIe video card which would give you some room to move in the future.

Comment

I've decided I'll get either a 7600GS or more likely a 7600GT when the time comes. Thanks for all of the feedback everyone!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X