A Compaq Computer for less than $500

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Compaq Computer for less than $500

I desperatly need a Compaq computer soon, before the summer ends. I came here to see if I could find one from my friends at TG. If my price is to low you are either crazy or have a high quality computer. Now the highest I will pay is $550, maybe more, but not by much. I am sick and tired of HP, so please don't offer one of those instead. Thank You.
    If it is stupid but works, then it is not stupid.
    -Murphy

Re: A Compaq Computer for less than $500

Why a Compaq specifically? For parts? If so you may be out of luck. Many Compaq models are non-upgradeable. Depending on the age.

Why not buy new Like this for around the same price range.
    I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

a) They're not as bad as they used to be.

b) For around $500 what do you expect?

c) :icon7:
      I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

I'm still not understanding why you refuse to build this yourself. strip what you have for parts (cdrom, monitor, floppy, keyboard, mouse, speakers, at least) and go get a case ps for 30, motherboard for 40, cpu for 80, memory for 70, hard drive for 50, 150 for a descent video card, and put a new computer together for 400 bucks...... your insistance on buying a compaq is really disheartening. you have access to an amazing support system here. If it is lack of confidence, fear not.... just read all the instructions and go one step at a time. any roadblocks can be addressed here. please do not throw money down the drain on a computer that cannot meet your needs now, much less in a year. I can promise you dissappointment in any 500.00 from compaq or the likes. I wish you good luck if you decide to waste the opportunity on compaq.

to each his own, but I hope you change your mind.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
          to each his own, but I hope you change your mind.
          This is good advice and I hope that it is taken...
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I simply dont know how to build a computer. I would need help. I would have to learn quickly I guess. These instructions, did these come with the computer? Or do I have to buy them? Also, what type of graphic card should I buy, I always wanted a good graphic card.
            -Murphy

Comment

Originally posted by LegionPaulL
              I simply dont know how to build a computer. I would need help. I would have to learn quickly I guess. These instructions, did these come with the computer? Or do I have to buy them? Also, what type of graphic card should I buy, I always wanted a good graphic card.
              I know it is easy for me to sit back and tell you it is easy because I have been doing this for 14 years.....but it really isn't that hard. All that I have learned I have learned by trial and error. I understand your resistance to dropping $500 or so into components only to wind up with a $500 paper weight but there really isn't much you can do that will break it. Maybe the resistance is due to the fact that you won't have a support number to call in case of problems. Assuming you have access to the Internet from another computer, there is a wealth of information available to help in troubleshooting as well as building your own system.

Here are a few thoughts/suggestions based on my experience:

1. Buy from a reputable company, Newegg.com for example or TigerDirect.com. If they are any good, you can call them on the phone and explain your situation. They may even build what is called a barebones system for you based on what you have. A bare bones system typically can include the motherboard, CPU, power supply, and case. It can also be customized to include a graphics card, memory, hard drive, etc. It is up to you and the company you buy from. Just explain what you are trying to do and your inexperience and they should be able to get you all the pieces you need. If you aren't sure, then post here and I'm sure someone can help you determine if they are trying to rip you off.

2. If you can't get a barbones system, buy a motherboard/cpu combo. Normally if you buy it that way, the company will test it for you to make sure it works. It's been a while since I have bought a combo so I am not sure if the CPU and mobo are shipped assembled. If they aren't, there is only one correct way the CPU can fit on the motherboard. Don't force it.

3. Try to make sure the CPU and motherboard are retail packages. You can get OEM but those are really meant for people who build systems for a living, e.g. Compaq.

4. Most motherboards come with a manual that show you where the different connectors are. Most of the connectors are labeled on the motherboard as well.

5. The remaining pieces should come with a manual as well that will help you determine how to plug them in.

6. When you get the components, open up your existing computer and look inside. This is a good way to learn where and how things are plugged in. Understand that not all motherboards are created equal and there may be some differences but if you look you will see similarities.

7. Nothing is more satisfying than building your own computer. You know what components are in it. If you buy from someone else, you have a rough idea of what is in it but you don't know every single component, unless you open it up and look.

That is just my two cents worth.

[volun]

Comment

I'll take that under strict consideration. I'll talk it over with my people who are going to help me first and then tell you how it goes.
                -Murphy

Comment

we are going to help you........

seriously, buying from compaq you will get onboard video, and only if you are exgtremely lucky will there be an agp slot. but at this point, there is no more money for the video card. If you really want a computer to play games, build it yourself, or spend 1000+ on an ABS, Falcon, alienware, highend dell or hp, (a highend hp uses nforce2 mobo and actually puts in an agp videocard).

seriously though, I manage a network with 20 computers that are all 100% different. you want to know which ones have 0 hardware related issues. the ones someone built. I have taken in 2 dell's, 3 compaqs, 2 hp's, and a qateway in for some hardware issue.

a motherboard, 2 hard drives, 1 onboard video (which would be the motherboard again, but they gave me a free gforce 4 mx to replace the broken onboard one.) 2 hard drives, and a cdrom. thank god for warranties, because they had spent too much money to start with buying the things.

take it from me, researching the parts, finding the best deal, and putting it together yourself may be more time consuming than a quick trip to best buy, but after you are done, you will have the following advantages.

1) no proprietary crap that you can't upgrade
                  2) the parts are as cheap and worthless as you want them to be, no white label 80 gig harddrive without your knowledge.. (thats a dell treat I found inside two computers) and btw, white label is a refurb that was returned for bad sectors and had to be re-low level formatted and re-mapped.
                  3) you now know more about computers and how they work
                  4) you have intricate knowledge of your computer

I hope you take a chance on this and do it yourself..... good luck.
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Well I was looking around and found this:

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

Is it anygood for help? I mean somethings that look good to me are sometimes (most times) useless (my luck). I just need another persons mind on this. I will start building as soon as I get the parts.
                    -Murphy

Comment

actually, it seems to be very detailed in its explainations. it might be a little dated, but I would definately use it as a guide. any thing else we can help you with.

basically, anything the guys says is "catching on" is the standard now. that quide seems to be circe 2001 or so, so take it with a grain of salt, but it is a good place to start.

Comment

Actually, yes. These Radeon graphic cards, are they any good? And also, these "Seagates" hard drives, they sound promising.
                        -Murphy

Comment

a radeon 9500 and up is good
                          a gf 5200 ultra and up as well

the seagate is ok, but i buy western digital because they are generally cheaper, faster, and just as stable.

a rundown of my favorites

powercolor or saffire for the radeon card
                          wd for the hard drive
                          lite-on for cdrom drives
                          raidmax for cases and power supplies
                          asus, abit, msi, biostar for motherboard
                          amd for the cpu
                          memory is a crap shoot.... just get highest amount for your budget... unless you are going to overclock for every ounce of power, just get something from simpletech, kingston value or the like.... just go to ddr mem in newegg, choose summary view, then sort by price....
                          sound, and lan should be onboard no matter what, no need to buy an audigy 7.1 zs for 10 dollar speakers.

Comment

I'll get on to this tuff automaticly. If what you say is good (which I dont dought), then I'll have basicly the same computer as one of yours, right? Well it sounds to me that your computers are up and running, so sure. O'yeah. How much do you usually spend on this? Dont forget my budget.
                            -Murphy

Comment

let me put together something for you.... give me 20 minutes and I'll be back with what you need for the 500 you have to spend.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X