looking for a copy of windows XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a copy of windows XP

i already own the OS, but i need to reinstall it, and i cannot find the disc for the life of me. i was wondering if anyone could burn a copy of Windows XP SP2 and send it my way (id cover shipping costs, and any other costs), like i said, i just need the disc, i have a registry code/sticker to authenticate and activate windows... my sticker is from an OEM version of sp2 if that matters
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: looking for a copy of windows XP

Do you need home or pro? And yes your key will only work with an oem version.

I don't think it's exactly legal to make a copy of the disc despite you having your own key though.

| |

Comment

I'm pretty sure that a burned copy of the media is not completely legal. I also think that the OEM versions are all different, so if you're looking for a Dell OEM disk, a Gateway OEM disk won't work.

Perhaps someone here has the OEM disk that you seek and will PM you, though. Please don't ask for burned copies, though.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

mine is an OEM home version from newegg
        powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

OEM cd-key will not work with normal Windows XP disk (need OEM disk)

I most cases with OEM sofware you can go to your vendor and get a copy of the disk as long as you have your cd-key. And often the disk doesnt even come with the machine (just hidden restore partition) and in that case the vendor is requerd to supply you with a disk if you reqest it.

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Comment

THERE IS NO ISSUE WITH HAVING A BURNED COPY OF THE OS.

the items you need to make a version of windows legit is a valid key code, a coa, and the EULA.

since the keycode is on the COA and the eula is on the cd, all you need for a valid copy is the COA.

feel free to read the thread in the hardware/software forums on the subject.
            http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ive-eulas.html

Tonk:

I will send you what you need.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

With an MSDN subscription, you can download OS images.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                With an MSDN subscription, you can download OS images.
                Which are not legal for every day use, technically. It's meant to use for development purposes.

You can find CD's with the OS only (ie: no license) both on eBay and several online stores catering primarily to businesses. AFAIK it is legal to use a copy of the disc to install it, providing you have the appropriate license.

Comment

do my posts show up on these forums?
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                    do my posts show up on these forums?

no why?

:)
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

I had used a friends copy of XP home Edition cause I getting tired of using the restoration disc that had came with my computer whenever I messed it up. Using my friends copy I had to call up Microsoft to activate it using my CD KEy that came with my computer. I told the Microsoft Representative what I did and she said "making copies of the disc is not illegal and Microsoft does not frown on it, whenenever a person copies the disc and gives it to another person to install on their computer they have 30 days to get a legal CD KEY to install and the copied disc is only a demo version. The CD KEY is what is actually copyrighted and not the disc."
                      SO, that kind of blew me away hearing it from a Microsoft Representative. Wonder if she would still have her job if her supervisor overheard her telling me that? OH, my friend had an OEM copy of XP Home BTW. I believe that may have been the reason I needed to call but am not sure. It installed fine though.

Comment

<- shakes head sadly.....

msdz, she was absolutely right. If you guys would do the research on the subject, you would see that microsoft is not the big bad monster. The media is not important... the coa and key code are.

That is the case with almost ALL software.

Please guys, take the time to inform yourselves on this subject. Actually read your EULA and find out what your rights really are.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X