need a video card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a video card

ok, so I sold my inspiron 1720 and now use my mini9 and ux380n for portability, and used some of the $$$ from the laptop to get a new desktop, along with a 24" 1920x1200 wuxga LCD.

I found a Dell Studio 540 for right at 600 shipped. specs:

c2q 8200 (2.33x4) 4meg cache
    8gig ddr2 (4x2gig)
    2x 640gig in raid 0
    dvdrw
    vista home premium x64
    350w enlight psu

and the problem:
    radeon hd3450 512meg (w/o the hypermemory).

I need some help. I want to upgrade the video (the old card will go into a computer at work that is about to die) but am now out of $$$. I cannot afford the 180.00 for an hd4870, but would like to get something that will score better than 4.0 on the vista index. I can pay shipping, and even a nominal amount for the right card, but probably 50.00 is my top end right now.

I want very badly to get back into gaming (I just bought a 360 and wii finally) but computer gaming is what I really want.

Is there anyone here who has a spare video card that would get me a decent bump - and is willing to help a brother out?

Thanks in advance....

pm me or email bit2byte at gmail dot com.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Re: need a video card

You're going to have a hard time finding a decent card that plays nicely with that 350w PSU. A 256 MB ATI 4650 might work and i just over $50 but you won't get great performance out of it. You could have build a decent budget gaming PC for $600 but you're going to need to upgrade the PSU as well as the video card in order to have a reasonable gaming machine.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
      You're going to have a hard time finding a decent card that plays nicely with that 350w PSU. A 256 MB ATI 4650 might work and i just over $50 but you won't get great performance out of it. You could have build a decent budget gaming PC for $600 but you're going to need to upgrade the PSU as well as the video card in order to have a reasonable gaming machine.

well, I got way more for my 600 going to dell, and my initial investment had to focus on video editing, so this setup was almost perfect (a 2.83 c2q would have been much closer to perfect...) I don't have a problem upgrading the psu if there is a reason to... and I knew I would have to for a modern video card. I just hate to sink 80.00 into a part that will not get me any performance enhancement right now. My wife will certainly not approve after spending so much this month on toys.

now, if there were an upgrade sitting on my desk that required it, that's a different story.

oh well... I guess I'll scrounge cl and ebay for a while.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

sorry man, wish i could send you my 8600 but it's being used for my g/f. 8600 is a good buy for that price though.

- -

Comment

Here's a 4830 at New Egg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...L7D-_-14131129

With a coupon code it's $79.99 - Is this in your budget?
          |TG-Irr|Duc748s

sigpic

Comment

Dropped you a line.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I've got a 7600 GS w/ 512mb and a 8800 GTX 768mb and some RAM, check out my posts.
              I'VE GOT YOUR GAMING NEEDS! (8800 GTX, 4gb of RAM, 7600 GS 512 GS, FPS Creators X10 and more...) I'll take your paintball stuff or cash.

PM ME! or check out my posts!

Comment

thank you, but spyder hooked me up beyond my greatest wishes.

Thanks NPA

Comment

nj saw the post and instantly replied... he isnt lookin to spend 300 let alone 180... what did spyder hook you up with dog?