Anyone have an old socket 939 F/S?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have an old socket 939 F/S?

I'm thinking of making a media PC for my TV downstairs. I've been wanting to do this for a really long time, but didn't want to spend the money. It just dawned on me that I have an old AMD Socket 939 CPU that would probably be faster (or at least comparable) to the Atom chips that are so popular in the Media PCs today.

I don't want to spend a lot of money, I've contacted the last couple of people on here that had commented that they had Socket 939 boards, but they've been sold or I've not received a response.

Thanks for stopping by to look :)
    Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Re: Anyone have an old socket 939 F/S?

Socket 939? Was that the socket used for the Athlon XP 1800+ processors?
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

The socket 939 was for the Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX and Athlon 64 X2. This was the predecessor to the AM2.

I believe the Athlon XP 1800+ processors were on the Socket A platform.

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

I MIGHT have one. I'm not sure if I used that in a build I gave to some one or not. I know I've got a board that's been sitting on my desk for AGES but I'm sure of the socket type.

I'll post back when I get home.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Yes, I've got one lying around (or a comparable model, it is a full size ATX board) although we upgraded it right after having some trouble with it crashing under load although I can't help but think it was iTunes fault since it ran perfectly under Ubuntu. I even have the original 1700+ (I think that was it) and the 2400+ I upgraded to, not sure on how much RAM I have with it but I think it was 1 GB. So, mobo + RAM + CPU and you can have both CPUs if you want.

I never did that because I never splurged on a case, now I have a P4 board that will sit in a box until I have a case for it :)

If you pm me your address I can let you know what it would cost to ship it to you (parts are free). I left the processor in the board, would you want it removed for shipping?
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Thanks snooggums!! PM sent. If you don't want it, you can just leave the processor. Just one quick questions, does it have onboard video?

Comment

It does not have on board video as far as I can remember, and I don't have a spare AGP video card as it is paired with the P4 since my 9800 pro died :)

If I do purchase parts for a media center in the future it will be an atom type board for the smaller form factor options and low power usage.

So I just found out that you can view your entire Newegg history and they don't delete out of date pages. I purchased the board in July of 2002 for $83.
              The mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128137
              I also purchased a 512 MB stick of RAM for $133, but I'm 99% sure I added to it afterwards, maybe from a different source.
              Last edited by snooggums; 06-22-2010, 11:18 AM.
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

That is socket A?

Doesn't catman want socket 939?
                |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

You are correct, on further review it is a Socket A, I'll pm catman to see if it is important. Thanks for the catch Namebot.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

I have a Socket 939 mobo in my gaming PC, actually. http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...06111Rnv.shtml

Along with an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ and 2GB RAM. Unfortunately, the price is giving me something better in return.
                    I don't have the money to upgrade it because the CPU and RAM won't fit in anything newer.

-Echo

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                      That is socket A?

Doesn't catman want socket 939?
                      Thanks for the catch namebot! Yes I am looking for a 939 board

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                      You are correct, on further review it is a Socket A, I'll pm catman to see if it is important. Thanks for the catch Namebot.
                      I replied to your PM.

Originally posted by Echo-48 View Post
                      I have a Socket 939 mobo in my gaming PC, actually. http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...06111Rnv.shtml

Along with an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ and 2GB RAM. Unfortunately, the price is giving me something better in return.
                      I don't have the money to upgrade it because the CPU and RAM won't fit in anything newer.

-Echo
                      Nice try Echo :) If I could help you out with something better I would, but this is a project I want to do cheaply, if I had better equipment to trade, I'd just use that :D

Comment

I'm just curious, what do the 939 boards offer over a socket A for this type of project? Bus speed, features, RAM type?
                        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                          I'm just curious, what do the 939 boards offer over a socket A for this type of project? Bus speed, features, RAM type?
                          The CPUs are/should overall be faster. AMD went from the Socket A to Socket 754 then to Socket 939, so two chip designs in between the two boards. Beyond that (for me) when I looked at what was on the board (Socket A) I thought it would cost me more than getting something that would work with components I had. I have an extra PCI x16 video card laying around, my hard drives are all SATA, the memory might have worked, but the Socket 939 supports dual channel.

Comment

Gotcha. If you are going for dual channel the memory do have wouldn't work since they are mismatched.
                            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Socket 939 boards fit AMD 64 CPUs. Socket A fits Athlon XP. They work with completely different architectures.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X