Crysis series (warheads not included)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crysis series (warheads not included)

My review of a series that I have been playing through for the latest couple of weeks, Crysis.

Crysis 1

Crysis 1 released 2007 by the German company crytek being the first game that was intended to utilize DirectX 10.

The game takes place in 2020, you play as the American elite soldier Jake "Nomad" Dunn sent in to rescue an archeologist team studying an alien artifact, but it as it soon turns out things are a little more complicated than that.
    From start to finish the one thing that you will truly take notice off playing this game is simply the graphics. The ammount of detail in this game is truly the finest I have seen in any game ever, this game was so demanding when they first released it that they had to release a patch that lowered the graphics because no one could play it with decent frames, it was simply to demanding in every aspect. It still is to this day which clearly shows when I try to playing this game with tweaked settings and high res texture mod packs along with ultra max of everything, I sometimes keep a fire extinguisher close to make sure that my computer does not take my room with it when it starts bursting in flames.
    Ingame: (Patched,unmodded)
    Nanosuit trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPYF1IftGBc

Gameplay: 8/10 The game is designed in 3 parts; You have 4 powers, an open world and an objective, go get 'em. I love this way of playing and it suits me perfectly.
    Storyline,Soundtrack,Characters: 7/10 The storyline does not make absolute sense in the first game and many questions go unanswered, however I do love the whole "american elite soldier in a futuristic suit made of alien materials" theme. The soundtrack is decent, it fills in when necessary. The characters have character and do make the game a little more atmospheric even though you don't really get that "NOOOO" feeling when someone dies.
    Graphics: 10/10 Game made 2007 and I have yet to find a game that competes with it other than Crysis 3.
    Replayability: 8.5/10 I can play this game over and over just to enjoy the beautifull open jungle, hunting those pesky KPA troops spooking about. While smashing buildings with my bare fists.
    Total score:~8.5 Great game, great graphics, poorly optimized. Will need a beast rig to run this on ultra high with more than 30fps.

Crysis 2

Crysis 2 released 2011 by crytek is the third game in the crysis series and the first to utlizie Cryengine 3.

3 years after the events at lingshan the ceph are back, in force. This time around we play as force recon marine Alcatraz who at the brink of death gets put in the nanosuit 2.0 by Prophet from the first crysis game. It's all on you now son, you are our last hope, MY last hope. Alien invasion, New York in ruins, an evil corporation that wants the alien technology for themselves and in the middle off all that is Alcatraz, mankind's last hope.
    The main difference that you will notice with Crysis 1 and 2 are offcourse the graphics, wouldn't be a crytek game if they did not give their everything to make the game visually appauling, eh? The reason for the giant leap is simply because Crysis 1 was PC-only alas it had no restrictions and the developers could push it to the limit. With Crysis 2 they had to adapt it so that consoles could also play it. Nonetheless the game is still incredibly beautifull beside some wonky textures here and there. The soundtrack was made by Hans Zimmer and as usual, he does not dissapoint. The music fits in perfectly and helps fill in during every single moment that you didn't think could be any better. Jumping off a 100 story building to save the world and chew bubblegum? Zimmer gets it rolling.

Contrary to popular belief, Tequila is not good for your health
    Ingame first mission
    Crysis 2 Story trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laIghwTFdqg If I did not know better I would almost think this was hollywood, explosions explosions 'merica explosions, I love it.

Gameplay: 7/10 Suit powers reduced to 2, dumb AI, immortal even on higher difficulties. Detachable .50cal machinegun, "combat stomp", tactical combat slides while blasting baddies with a fully automatic shotgun.
    Storyline,Soundtrack,Characters: 10/10 The storyline is not really deep or misty as one might think, it's very simple. You are a guy in a suit that pretty much functions as scientist lab with superhuman strength and armor that can shatter .50Cal rounds. You are a superhero in a magical suit that sacrifices his humanity to save humanity, I find this relaxing. The soundtrack is great and fits in perfectly on every occasion and really helps to turn those awesome moments into even more awesome moments, Zimmer never dissapoints.Almost no backstory or anything to the characters they are just there to help the badass do badass things which I honestly like, keeps me from thinking when I'm playing.
    Graphics: 7/10 4 years later and they actually produced a game with worse textures than the first one, shame on you crytek. The game is however still incredibly beautifull, no argument there.
    Replayability: 9/10 Jumping down 50 story buildings doing combat stomps to avoid taking damage right in the aliens face never gets old, the soundtrack is to great to miss out so I just keep on playing this game. Falling out of a chopper, getting stabbed by an alien, .50cal through the chest...Is that the end? "Press space to use defribilators" it's on again!
    Total score:~8 A fun game with a great campaign, the dumb AI and the graphics are a mistake Crytek should not have made.

Crysis 3

Crysis 3 was released 2013 6 days ago on 19th of february. It was one of the most anticipated games of this year.

The year 2047 and Alcatraz is back, however this time it's not Alcatraz in control, it is Prophet whos mind has taken over control of Alcatraz body when the latters mind got corrupted due to prolonged exposure to a ceph bioweapon. The cell are back and evil as always being one of the main antagonists of this highly anticipated sequel along with the so called "alpha ceph". Crysis 3 did not dissapoint, they managed to close that gap between Crysis 1 and 2 with an urban enviroment with lots of vegetation that has taken over the city completely. The true majesty of this game is the enviroment, from jumping out of a trashed building and landing in a large open space enclosed in a metro dome made by the evil Cell, creeping around in the high grass hunting for Cell soldiers, what you will soon learn in the high grass is that the hunter is not the only one hunting. The main weapon in Prophets arsenal is a bow, yes a bow that is connected to your nanosuit which means that you can fire arrows with such force that you can actually pin the enemy against the wall, along with regular arrows there are some other fancy special arrows that you can use, but I will not reveal what those are now.
    Washington D.C
    The seven wonders of Crysis 3: "The hunt" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU7LbkHpLZ8

Gameplay: 10/10 Hunting around in an urban enviroment with lots of vegetation with a bow? Awesome.
    Storyline,Soundtrack,Characters: 9/10 Psycho from Crysis 1 returns with an absolutely awesome personality, he made me smile every time he opened his mouth. Story gets wrapped up which is nice, all the questions are answered and the series is finished, for now. Soundtrack is not as great as in C2 but it still holds up pretty well. Alot more emotions are shown in this game with one character dealing with his new human frailty and another dealing with his inhuman immortality.
    Graphics: 10/10 The enviroment and the graphics in this game are simply great, watch the above picture of Washington D.C under the Dome.
    Replayability: 9/10 I never get tired of hunting in the tall grass with my bow while at the same time being hunted, it's great!
    Total score:9 A great game, definetly worth buying.

I hope you guys enjoyed my review :)
    sigpic|TG-6th|ghadlan
    [unit][armor]

Sure I have flown plenty of choppers, I have just never landed one.

Re: Crysis series (warheads not included)

Great review Ghadlan.

Crysis 2 felt like a breakaway from the original core sandbox concept. Also I felt like Crysis 2 did not live up to the same level of detail that Crysis 1 brought to the table although it was more tame for all systems. However with Crysis 3 it feels like they have balanced the gameplay aspects with about 50% wider open areas and 50% linear pathways. Also with the bow and even more emphasis on stealth gameplay I feel like high-tech Sam Fisher with the attitude of Number 47. Also the graphics now seem to be much more on par with what Crysis 1 brought to the table and it still runs smooth like in Crysis 2. This series and any game using the Crytek engine has a serious advantage. It's like using the Unreal engine, there is so much dev behind it things like quality gameplay and mods are easier to come-by.
    sigpic

Comment

Crysis 2 took the more "Modern military shooter" approach with the very linear campaign and alot of scripted events, in crysis 1 you crafted your own events using the powers you had at hand. In crysis 2 they pretty much just put all those powers together and made you feel like you were captain american saving the world. I liked it both ways.Couldn't agree more with you on Crysis 3 part, 50% open 50% crysis 2 linearity (made up word). When it came down to it Crysis 3 produced with their urban jungles and the awesome bow that one had many a fun with stringing people to the wall lol.

I'm glad you liked it Def, I might add Crysis Warheads to the list when I'm done with it, so far it's looking good.
      sigpic|TG-6th|ghadlan
      [unit][armor]

Comment

Great review! I loved the whole series, crysis 1 and 3 being the best, crysis 2 was still good, but didnt live up to the other two.
        For the record, I beat it on post-human ;)
        the more you sneak in crysis 3...the more epic the "guns ablazin'!!!" parts are
        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Nice review!

Haven't tried C3 yet, by I agree with you on C1 and C2.

One thing I'd like to add, going back to the pre-release demo of C1, was the ability to SWIM UNDERWATER!!! At that time I was primarily a Counter-Strike, Battlefield, and COD player, so when I first submerged under water in Crysis (Demo), I was in absolute awe. It wasn't just the fact of going underwater, but the effects of blowing bubbles, sea current, the visual tapestry, and then coming up for air, into an offshore boat, or the shore where a group of crabs on the sand clatter to greet you! Living by the beach in real life, growing up surfing and scuba/snorkling, this underwater ability really hit home. It made swimming on the top of the water in the Battlefield series seem archaic (dumb actually). Even in BC2 and BF3, with all their destructibility, players are still forced to swim like sitting ducks on top of the water. That inability was and is a big disappointment for me that those titles couldn't add the swim feature of a game (Crysis) that came out several years beforehand. Shooting those little crabs and chickens for the first time was fun too! :icon_cool

Also, going from the jungle warfare theme, aliens, and then into weightless space in the same game was a cool twist back then as well.

Now you got me all excited to try C3...!

:icon_frow
          |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
          sigpic

Comment

I have to admit, I once picked up a chicken and threw it at one of the baddies with power mode
            The water is brilliant, shame they did not include it in C2 though.
            sigpic|TG-6th|ghadlan
            [unit][armor]

Comment

Just an FYI, since I brought up the swimming feature, Arma 3 will include underwater swimming as well. Just tried the Arma 3 Alpha (Light Key) and one of the training missions in single player is "Scuba". The water is not tropical or "Nemo" looking like in Crysis, but the respirator sounds, current, fish, etc. are enjoyable, and add a whole new element to Arma. For only an Alpha stage, I give it a thumbs up as it has a lot of potential.

:icon_frow
              |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse