Tribes Franchise Bought - Tribes Universe Announced

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribes Franchise Bought - Tribes Universe Announced

Mhmm, you read it right. HiRez Studios, creators of the shooter-MMO Global Agenda, are set to further expand into the genre after buying the rights to Tribes and announcing Tribes Universe - a large scale version with 100+ players which will also use the Unreal 3 engine.

Erez Goren, the head of HiRez, posted on Saturday that due to "too many design and programming issues to make it practical" they won't be able to create a large scale gamemode for Global Agenda, although they will continue adding content for gamemodes that already exist. He then continued:

We can’t transform Global Agenda to a large scale battle format but since we liked this concept a lot, we decided to create a new game based on large scale fighting. In order to develop the new game many significant steps had to be taken, including: A significant rewrite to the unreal engine servers to allow for 100+ players to be fighting in the same map, a new UI system that is more efficient, a different implementation of character visuals, a new terrain system, etc. In addition the combat gameplay required many significant changes as well.

While working through the design we kept coming back to one old and loved game that represented many of the concepts we where incorporating into the new game (Jetpacks, vehicles, large open space, three armor types, futuristic weapons, etc). Many of you will know this game as Tribes, the original on-line multiplayer shooter. As of now, HiRez Studios is the proud new owner of the Tribes franchise.

We now have two groups in the studio, one working on continuing to build Global Agenda and a new group working on the Tribes Universe project. We are also moving to a new larger office space in another month that will help us accommodate our growth.

I’m sure many of you have questions, so here are a few quick highlights for Tribes Universe:

* Three Tribes (factions)
    * Full clan (agency) support
    * First person view (third person for some vehicles)
    * Full vehicle support (ground and air)
    * Full persistent world with territory control (no instances)
    * PvP focused
    * Huge outdoor maps (about 10x the area of sonoran desert)
    * Large scale fights (100+ players)
    * Jetpacks, skiing, lots of weapons, etc

Alpha testing will begin at the start of the year (about 3 months from now) and Global Agenda players with level 50 characters will have priority in entering Alpha and Beta testing

Thanks for you support

Erez.

P.S. More information on Tribes Universe will be coming in the near future along with an Alpha/Beta registration web site.
    Here's the link for the full post, although it requires logging in to GA's forums - I just cut out the info on GA's situation and direction anyway.

Hey again all :row__572: MrJengles has returned with a bit of news for TG! I've been MIA since BF2142 lost most of its players and I switched to GA. When I saw this I knew where there'd be some interested gamers.

Now, I've never played Tribes but I think anytime I've seen it mentioned people always seem passionate about it and say how awesome it was; I feel like I've missed out. I've watched some videos and read up a little though, so I know roughly what to expect. I think HiRez have a decent chance of making it a good game, although satisfying such a protective fanbase will be difficult. They do have several things going for them though:

- Highly involved with the community and feedback
    - Past experience with a shooter-MMO and UE3
    - GA focuses heavily on tactics and teamwork, and from the sounds of it so did Tribes
    - GA has persistant territory
    - GA also has jetpacks (if this counts XD)
    - If it turns out to be subscription based, it's backed by Erez who's a millionaire that just wants to make good games - so less chance of an APB flop. Great quote: "Some people want big boats, other people like having lots of houses, some people like fast cars (ok I have a few of those), while other strange people like to have a fun Shooter MMO game"

Anyways, that's all I can think of right now. What do y'all think?
    Last edited by MrJengles; 10-24-2010, 09:57 PM.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Re: Tribes Franchise Bought - Tribes Universe Announced

Can they do it? Global Agenda was a massive failure, with terrible reviews.

Comment

I HOPE they can do it. I played the original Tribes quite a bit, though I was on a 56k modem, so it didn't always work out too well for me. Tribes 2 wasn't bad but didn't have the same appeal for some reason.

"You have to go out, you don't have to come back."

Dredgeisms: "NO! GoNooowwwBARRELROLL!" - "There WILL be NO desync!"

Comment

Meh, most of the bad reviews for GA were based on the fact that it wasn't worth the optional subscription for the persistant combat. But HiRez didn't actually ever add the subscription because they sent out a survey and, of course, found that people preffered buy-to-play, so they left it as that (if only APB did the same). At the same time they kept patching the game for free, adding more content to it because they'd mainly focused on getting the combat right for release. Re-reviews were much more favourable; the game is quite different from release and the player count has been rising for a long while now too. Not that it doesn't have its flaws, but I really don't think that HiRez considers it a massive failure.

One downside has been that they actually listened to too much feedback, as GA tries to please everyone so it suffers a lack focus. Tribes Universe, however, is based off a focus for large scale player fights right from the start -since it wasn't doable in GA- so they won't have all the PvE (player vs environment) / bots to distract them. Along with the rest of the Tribes games as a basis, there's quite a lot of experience they can take from GA and apply to TU. All they need is some experienced Tribes gamers in the testing, of which there's quite a few that play GA anyway, but Mr. Goren will be looking for them too I'm sure - he already got in contact with someone that posted from a Tribes community. I'd imagine TG could probably test if people want to.

Comment

Alpha registration is up: http://tribesuniverse.com/

If there are any level 50 GA players, click register, sign in, fill in the form and you'll have priority. If there are any old tribes players click register, then "register for an account" and fill in the form - it'll ask for tribes experience in this case instead of GA experience.

Also, in case anyone is interested GA is 30% off off at the moment and if you buy from HiRez' store it stacks with 30% coupon codes which are everywhere (or feel free to PM me for one). I think it's about $15 or 10.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJengles View Post
            Alpha registration is up: http://tribesuniverse.com/

If there are any level 50 GA players, click register, sign in, fill in the form and you'll have priority. If there are any old tribes players click register, then "register for an account" and fill in the form - it'll ask for tribes experience in this case instead of GA experience.

Also, in case anyone is interested GA is 30% off off at the moment and if you buy from HiRez' store it stacks with 30% coupon codes which are everywhere (or feel free to PM me for one). I think it's about $15 or 10.
            They're missing priority for GA Alpha testers... :p

GA was quite a flop, there's no denying it, but the backing they have by Erez is enough to keep it running even with the low amount of players on. This time, with having more time to devote to actually creating the game than having to think about it (because they overcomplicated GA's combat system with unnecessary crap) since the Tribes games have already laid the groundwork for how it should play, it could turn out quite nice.

Wait and see, I suppose.

Comment

So did Garage Games sell it to HiRez?

I never played the original Tribes but loved Tribes 2, particularly its mix of infantry and vehicles and the sophisticated commander map available to any player to designate incoming targets and missions for teammates. It was capable of 64 player games and my team's server could handle around 50-60. We used to gather several clans to play Massive Mayhems. I'd love to see this reduced in scope from a MMO to a conventional community server system that provides a Linux server.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Eh, it'll be an "MMO" in the sense of persistant experience points (levels and skillpoints and such). It won't be an MMO in the sense of the word as you traditionally know it.

Comment

That's not entirely certain at this point, Gill.

Some of the things they've mentioned seem to point at there being really really big persistent fields of play that are linked to eachother...
                  * Full persistent world with territory control (no instances)
                  * Huge outdoor maps (about 10x the area of sonoran desert)
                  * Large scale fights (100+ players)

Like I said, we'll really have to wait and see. If they follow the route of GA, you'll be entirely right; but I have a feeling that they noticed GA was a flop in those regards, and they may take a different approach which seems to be what they're hinting at with this.

I'm certainly willing to give them a chance, and keep an eye on it, but I will definitely be cautious since they've yet to really prove themselves.

Comment

Q&A at Ten Ton Hammer yesterday:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/tu/inter...i-rez-10-31-10

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Possible competition:

http://www.firefallthegame.com/

The movie on the home page looks pretty promising. Will 2011 be the year of the jet pack?

Comment

Meanwhile, InstantAction is closing, and Torque (the engine used for the original Tribes series) is seeking a buyer:

http://www.torquepowered.com/community/blog/view/20495/

Comment

Tribes II is still my favorite game ever (and you can download and play it free btw - there are still a few ppl playing) - now if they can just incorporate squadplay into that game a la Battlefield series, it may just be the best tactical fps ever!

(btw - Jengles, 2142 is back up and pretty hopping on Tuesday and Friday nights! Come back and play with us!)
                          I got yer Dancing With the F**&ing Stars right here!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrTango View Post
                            Tribes II is still my favorite game ever (and you can download and play it free btw - there are still a few ppl playing) - now if they can just incorporate squadplay into that game a la Battlefield series, it may just be the best tactical fps ever!

(btw - Jengles, 2142 is back up and pretty hopping on Tuesday and Friday nights! Come back and play with us!)
                            What he said, but more like Fridays/Saturdays, but you'll often find a few people on varius servers each night.

Anyway, yh, this could be excellent.
                            Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

As mentioned above, you can still play the original Tribes 2 that started it all.

New community sponsored master servers are up! Patch available below.
                              No more CD keys. You can download the COMPLETE GAME (500+MB) FREE.
                              http://www.tribesnext.com/downloads

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X