Have you seen War of the Worlds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you seen War of the Worlds

IF you have not seen War of the Worlds you may not want to read this post as it contains some spoilers.

Hey guys,
    My finance and I went to see the War of the Worlds this weekend and let me say that it was a very good movie but I was surprised how much the movie disturbed me. The mass slaughter of humans and the entire feeling of hopelessness through out the movie was a new experience for me. Not to say I have seen movies were Man is killed in large number before, but this film seemed to put it more on a more personal level. What really was the kicker was the feeling of no hope through out the whole movie. I remember thinking to myself that why are these people even bothering trying to make it to another city just to have the Aliens try to kill them again.
    During the last parts of the move I was really amazed by how similar it was compared to Half-life 2. The scene of Boston really reminded me of it. The broken down cars everywhere. The appeared ruin down look of everything. Trash in the streets ect. There seemed to be a lot of parallels between the Move and the game.
    Well anyway thatís my 2 cents of the movie, I would really like to know how you guys felt about it and any other opinions you would have about what I have written.

Thanks
    North

Re: Have you seen War of the Worlds

Hmmm...it's a remake so I'm going to guess that its rubbish.

It has tom cruise and its not faithful to the book, so even if this is the first decent remake in the history of cinema, it's still going to be bad.

Root
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

teehee... striders :)

Comment

I just came from Batman Begins. My plan was to see that film followed by WotW.

I left after Batman Begins. I had too much respect for the WotW story to let the movie pale in comparison to Batman Begins. Having seen Batman Begins, I can unconditionally say it would have.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Its hard to belive that HG. Wells wrote that book in 1896.
          Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
          Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

It shouldn't be the Martians were high tech in a way that would look old to us. For exmaple they used cannons to get to Earth. However it can't be denyed that a tripod is a pretty powerful weapon.I doubt the orgianl version would be too dangerous to the current militaries of the world.
            RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
            TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
            7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
            "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
            "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I really liked WotW.... almost nonstop action/suspense. I really try hard to let every movie tell me the story, and not analyze the thing to death though... (I guess thats one of the reasons I liked Battlefield Earth..... stop laughing) but it told the whole story from a very personal POV and made the struggle hit closer to home...... I also liked the evolutions of the 2 main characters. overall, they didnt focus a whole lot on the character, but through the movie, you could still see each overcome and grow.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I really didn't like it personally. I left the movie feeling they didn't get enough into the character struggle that the book was about. The only point where I felt that is when he was talking with Tim Robbins.

Now, on another movie topic, Batman Begins was absolutely amazing. This is what all the batman movies should have been about.
                [age-c1][gchq-c1][support]
                TG-1st MIP(Currently Retired)

Comment

My wife and I went to see it last night. We both agreed it was pretty good. I kept telling her through the movie how much it reminded me of half-life 2. They should have just gotten rid of Tom Cruise and Tim Robbins and rendered the whole movie using the source engine, hell all the textures were already their.

Go see it, it could have been a whole lot worse.

Comment

Saw it. Did not like it. No real development of the characters. A mindless run up to Boston while aliens are attacking. The ending wasn't that exciting either. I would've rather payed $6 and sat through Independence Day again.

Comment

Saw it Liked it all right. I never thought from the first trailers I saw that Tom Cruise fit the roll though.
                      "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

Originally posted by Muld
                        Saw it. Did not like it. No real development of the characters. A mindless run up to Boston while aliens are attacking. The ending wasn't that exciting either. I would've rather payed $6 and sat through Independence Day again.
                        feel the same way

Comment

Originally posted by Muld
                          Amen.
                          I'm not the Killer Man...
                          I'm the Killer Man's son...
                          But I'll do the killing...
                          Until the Killer Man comes...

Comment

I liked it. One of the more striking affects was the demonstration of how survival was just plain luck. Tom cruise is running and runs through the ashen sillhoutette of a women just in front of him an instant after she is vaporized. People get picked up out of the water swimming along him, and he just happens to not get grabbed. If you were in the exact same situation as him, you would probably die, even if you did exactly what he did. He just got an extremely lucky dice roll, rolling 20's every second.

Comment

I thought it was good in many ways. I would sum the movie up as Spielberg taking the fantastic moment in Jurassic Park where the cup of water vibrates to the stomping of the T-rex and extending it into a full movie. It was a shame that they moved it from England to the US, but that is modern cinema for you. The world watches what you guys want to watch.

It is notable that this is the first proper disaster movie since 9/11 (not counting the sensitive and relatively quiet Day after Tomorrow). The genre was at its peak at the turn of the century but disapeared after 9/11.

WotW did look a lot like HL2, but that is because HL and all of sci-fi is influenced by H. G. Wells, NOT because Spielberg is influenced by HL :)

Looking forward to batman. Everyone seems to be raving about it.
                              Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X