Net Neutrality - The Precipice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Net Neutrality - The Precipice

I'm not sure how many TG folks are following Net Neutrality discussions and regulations, but you can count me as one of those individuals that follows it very closely.

For those of you unfamiliar with what Net Neutrality means, here is a VERY brief summary;

You pay your ISP for access to the Internet. By paying your ISP, you are expecting to get access to content on the network with your only hindrance being the amount of bandwidth you are willing to pay for. Some ISPs and major carriers feel that content providers should be paying them too. Here's an example....

You pay "SuperISP" for your 25Mb broadband connection to the Internet. Tactical Gamer pays our datacenter for 1Gb connectivity to the Internet for each server. You spend a lot of time playing games on TG and subsequently use a decent chunk of monthly bandwidth communicating with TG's game servers. On your local "SuperISP" network, you have 20 other people who are also TG members spending lots of time and bandwidth playing games. SuperISP now decides that they shouldn't have to carry so much traffic from TG to its subscribers because TG isn't paying SuperISP to do so. SuperISP then takes all traffic from TG and prioritizes it slower, decreasing your availability to TG's servers and increasing your pings (and thereby decreasing your gaming pleasure). SuperISP then demands that TG starts paying SuperISP, even though we are not a customer, to get SuperISP to handle our traffic like any other traffic.

This is an issue that impacts ALL users of the Internet, not just in the US, but globally. The net result of this is content providers (such as Google, YouTube, Amazon and Tactical Gamer, for that matter) will be forced to pay fees to get its traffic through to end users who are already paying for their access.

I post this after reading a great letter from Steve Wozniak to the FCC regarding net neutrality. It's interesting from both historical and modern standpoints and is well worth the read.

Here's a quick clip...

Originally posted by Steve Wozniak
    I have always loved humor and laughter. As a young engineer I got an impulse to start a Dial-a-Joke in the San Jose/San Francisco area. I was aware of such humor services in other countries, such as Australia. This idea came from my belief in laughter. I could scarcely believe that I was the first person to create such a simple service in my region. Why was I the first? This was 1972 and it was illegal in the U.S. to use your own telephone. It was illegal in the U.S. to use your own answering machine. Hence it also virtually impossible to buy or own such devices. We had a monopoly phone system in our country then.
    You can read the full letter over at the Atlantic.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Net Neutrality - The Precipice

your description makes it sound like legalized racketeering...

"pay us, or something "bad" might happen..."

Comment

Originally posted by teratoma View Post
      your description makes it sound like legalized racketeering...

"pay us, or something "bad" might happen..."
      Pretty much! If I pay for Internet access at home, I expect to get access to any content out there WITHOUT my ISP stepping in and restricting bandwidth or priority to certain sites because they're essentially too popular.

Comment

*Looks at favorites on bookmark bar in chrome*

Sorry Facebook. Too many people use you. Pay up. You can charge people!
        Sorry Tumblr. Too many people like funny cat pictures. Require a service fee.
        Sorry TG. Too many users.
        Sorry Kotaku. Too many articles read by thousands a day.
        Sorry 4chan. You're too popular. I know you've supported yourself 100% through ads, but you're too popular.
        Sorry Youtube. Everyone uses you. But for 4.99 a month on your ISP bill, you can all use YT again!

Yep.
        Skud

Comment

Screw that. But what irritates me most is the fact that this decision will involved the worlds users, but seems to being made essentially just in the USA. In the UK we have had a few mentions, but no solid ideas, we are simply waiting for it to happen one way or the other in the US and follow along. Shameful.

Comment

Didn't know about that, thanks Apophis.

There are organizations to regulate this companies (at least here) and this will be a point of debate soon if it becomes a practice. Now the problem is to give it enough visibility in order to cause a action, like the one I'm still waiting to regulate traffic shaping by some national ISPs. Another problem is that those ISPs act as cartels and make things like this not a problem because they are common to all.

This is an issue that impacts ALL users of the Internet, not just in the US, but globally. The net result of this is content providers (such as Google, YouTube, Amazon and Tactical Gamer, for that matter) will be forced to pay fees to get its traffic through to end users who are already paying for their access.
            It's interesting that you bring those names into the table, because those still are in the web and the "free internet" that we were used to see. Today reality is different, internet itself is different, the amount of apps that use the internet but not the web is starting to get overwhelming and most already are paid. What you describe above is just the final niche that was missing, to charge for the use of the web itself by limiting the access to it's sites.

Now we just have to wait and see.
            sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

What I find really frustrating or interesting is that NETFLIX or AMAZON or TG is the destination of the consumer. Not the ISP.. We paid for a service to get to the destination, not just to have the ability to get to it. An with lack of competition an ISP can decide how they want to handle it and the consumer will be without any real recourse.
              Sems they are trying to sell it like AMAZON or NETFLIX is the BAD GUY in this deal, but in reality it's the consumers love for these products that will cost the user in the end....
              |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
              ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Simple explanation over the possible evils of losing the battle over net neutrality:

Imagine walking into Wal-Mart and discovering you can only purchase the generic Wal-Mart brands of food (Great Value, Sam's Choice colas, etc.). If you want to do something as simple as LOOK at non-Walmart brands (let alone purchase them) you must pay a cover fee for each item you examine.

Sounds stupid, doesn't it? It's like a taxi service charging you a fare for both the drive AND the destination.

Comment

This is both unsurprising and disgusting. The big concern in the UK is that several of the ISP's are also content providers in their own right, Sky TV and Virgin Media. Murdoch of Sky tv has long been able to do what he pleases in the UK with little or no interference from the monopolies commission.

These ISP's will have the ability to restrict bandwidth to rival content providers, regardless of what you pay as a consumer, thereby closing off your access to alternative content. "However you can still get fast speeds to our paid for content".

This is anti competition and in my amateur opinion a breach of contract with you as a consumer. Whilst we all know about ISP's lame 'Fair usage' policies, these generally refer to you as thr consumer. If your bandwidth is effectively restricted due your destinations usage I would call that a breach of contract or at least miss selling.

Would someone smarter than me care to comment lol, because it seems very wrong to me.

Comment

I've done some reading into this matter since yesterday and it seems that there are some ISPs already doing this. Traffic shaping is already a common practice in various countries from what I understand and Spanish Telefonica has already made public they will charge search engines for the use of "their network", there are other news about ISPs and Skype.
                    sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

I don't know a SINGLE person who wants Net Neutrality.

Do any of you?
                      Skud

Comment

People in suits in Washington, who get big kickback^H^H^H^H^H lobby money for making it happen. Terrible policy.

Basically, the best thing to do at this point is raise awareness, and maybe start a campaign threatening your ISP with cancellation if they implement any policy restricting some providers. That will only work if enough people do it though.
                        Do or do not, there is no try....
                        -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
                          people in suits in washington, who get big kickback^h^h^h^h^h lobby money for making it happen. Terrible policy.
                          ^h^h^h...

Lol!

Comment

Usually, when I try to explain the concept to people that don't get it, I use the analogy to calling their favorite pizza parlor (or other similar thing, e.g., local hardware store versus Home Depot, etc.).

*Dials 555-5557*
                            "Excuse me, you have dialed the number 555-5557, registered to Joe's Pizza. Joe's Pizza is not on AT&T's Enhanced Service Track and as such, your call will have to wait to be processed. However, I can forward you immediately to Domino's Pizza at 555-5558 if you do not wish to wait."
                            And of course, being forwarded to Domino's Pizza over any other option, including the dumpster behind a fish market? That's a pitchforkin'.

Comment

great site: http://www.theopeninter.net/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse