Your Career!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Career!

Hello there, fellow TG members, fellow friends. A few years ago I was forced to make a decision as to what I would be doing career-wise. I know that, from the earliest of ages, we are exposed to the careers of our parents as well as that of others who may inspire us to follow their paths.

I have made my mind up and am studying like a crazed maniac to achieve what I have always wanted to become - a neurosurgeon. I'll tell you all some more about that soon, but for now, I'm very curious as to what everyone here does or whether they still need to make that big choice. I'll make a list underneath to show everyone what our fellow TG members do.

I picked medicine for four main reasons:

1) I enjoy it immensely. The rush in surgery, of holding a beating heart in your hands, for instance... there is nothing else quite like it.
    2) It's challenging. I've always wanted to push myself to my very limit. What I mean is that the 'medical manual' is everlasting, for each and every day there are new diseases which need tackling.
    3) I would get to help people. Enough said.
    4) The salary can be decent/good, depending on what you do/where you do it.

Ever since I was a young teen, I'd go visit hospitals and O.Rs., view surgeries, take notes and I know medicine is what I want. I will soon be moving to the states to further my studies and to possibly settle down for good.

I wanted to create this thread because I know so many of you TG'ers have awesome jobs - most of which I would fail at miserably. :p However, I also wanted to make this thread to help out any younger people, such as myself, to set out some aims as to where they want to be in the future. If you're retired, tell us what you used to do - I'm sure we would all love to hear about it. :)

Current Job/Dream Job:

Cattley - Medicine
    Ferris Bueller - Nursing
    Last edited by Cattley; 02-05-2011, 04:53 PM.

---------“In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice.”---------

Re: Your Career!

I just finished reading Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande, and I thought it was a fantastic insight to a surgeon's perspective on medicine. I hope it works out for you.

Comment

Current Job:
      Regsitered Nurse
      Intro note:
      Cattley - When you get into practice, treat your nurses with respect or we WILL make your life hell. I can guarantee you that.

So yes, Ferris is a nurse. Yuk it up people, but it's a freaking awesome job.

Lets start with getting the stereotype crap out of the way. No, I'm not gay (and for the record, I have zero problem with people who are). Matter of fact, less than 25% of males who go into nursing are gay. So you can forget about that. Nursing IS still, for the most part, a female dominated profession, but that doesnt mean that guys arent welcome.

Now lets address some misconceptions that a lot of people might have:
      • Nursing isnt all cleaning bedpans and giving spongebaths. Yes, we do have to do those things on occasion, but not all the time.
      • Nursing isnt a below-the-poverty-line job. In Colorado, the average STARTING salary for nurses straight out of college is 73K a year. Some states are better, some are worse. Want to make huge bank? Go be a nurse in california.
      • Nurses are not limited to working in hospitals or nursing homes. We work on cruise ships, at ski resorts, at vacation destinations, provide home health care, and many nurses even have their own medical practice.
      • Nursing school is not where people who drop out of medical school go. Not by ANY stretch of the imagination. For example, the nursing school at the university of colorado REQUIRES you to have all of your 60 prerequisite general studies courses DONE, with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 and no grade lower than a C in any course before you can even APPLY.
      • More on school: The course of study is intensive, involves a full time in-class schedule as well as 10-20 hours a week in a clinical setting at a hospital. An average college degree requires 120 credits for graduation, whereas a nursing degree generally runs between 135-150 credits depending on the school.
      • Contrary to popular belief, nurses arent stupid lackeys to doctors who know everything. Want an illustration? Go to a teaching hospital and look around, its the nurses who are doing most of the teaching because the attendings and residents cant be bothered to do more than run rounds with the interns.
      • The average doctor spends 17 seconds per visit with a patient. The average nurse spends over 4 minutes per visit.

Now, dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash doctors here, but I've met a lot of them who didnt have those stereotypes cleared up before they became doctors and as a result, they treat nurses like crap. We, in return, make their lives miserable until they understand how it really works.

Now, on to my personal career. I love what I do. 6 years of school (plus training for certifications) and I'm qualified to work in any part of any hospital. From radiology to the operating room. However, my particular love is for trauma and critical care. At present, I rotate through the ER and MICU (thats Medical Intensive Care Unit, theres no such thing as just one ICU anymore, theres separate areas for medical, surgical, pediatrics, etc) and love it.

My job keeps me on my toes, but its not for everyone. I've seen a lot of things that cant be un-seen, been standing witness to death on more occasions than I would like to count, and have stories that would make most grown men cry. You have to have more than just an iron stomach for this job, you have to have an iron will as well or its GOING to break you.

Negativity and scare tactics aside, it's an immensely rewarding job. I get to do something for a living where I can actually make a difference, a REAL difference in people's lives. Of course, its nothing as sweeping as finding world peace, but who cares? Plus, I get to regularly poke people with sharp objects, which makes me giggle inside.

Finally, some tips for those of you who will never consider medicine as a career but will still have to eventually go to the hospital:
      -Treat your medical professionals with respect. ALL of them, from the doctors down to the orderlies. Being nice will make you happier and will certainly make your time at the hospital more pleasant.
      -The flip side to that is that if you act like a jerk, you're going to be treated in kind. Want to know why that nurse had to stab at you eight times to find the vein? Not because they're incompetent (we can all hit sticks on the worst rolling veins in the first or second try if we want to), but probably because you're treating them like crap.
      -Learn a tiny bit of medical terminology. Not big stuff, but small things like the difference between sharp and dull pain, what the levels on the pain scale mean, know your own medical history (and preferably that of your direct lineage).
      -PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT USE WEB M.D. OR OTHERWISE SELF DIAGNOSE.
      -Understand that things take time. When you have blood drawn, dont expect results in 10 minutes, this isnt mcdonalds and you are not waiting for a big mac at the drive thru. When we take a sample for testing, it gets handed off to someone in another part of the hospital, put in line with everyone else's samples, tested, re-tested for accuracy, and then sent back. So bring a book or your ipad or something to cure your boredom.

Anyway, thats my little tidbit. If anyone has any questions, PM me or catch me on TS, I'm always happy to help. But please, dont ask me to diagnose you. If you have a problem, consult your local physician. Theres only so much I can do over the internet.

Comment

Sordavie, thank you for the words of encouragement. :)

Ferris, I'm so glad you've found a job that makes you happy and I know what you mean when you say poking people around with sharp objects is fun (hehe :p). I have had both doctors and nurses in the family and, luckily, I have never witnessed any negative, stereotypical behavior towards nurses in my time. At the hospital I frequent, people are informal and most of the staff are friends, but I guess, amidst all the chaos and stress a hospital may bring, at times people can fail to acknowledger all the hard work nurses do. The fact of the matter is, doctors and nurses are equally essential. As for the time we spend with patients, I wish I had more time. I guess it's just a matter of making the time, isn't it?

Well, thank you for your post. You are, undoubtedly, another person who I have come to admire.

CAT :D

Comment

Well I'm studying hard right now (senior year of high school) to try to get into a good school and become an engineer. I want to do this because I have always loved science and technology and I want play a part in making the future a reality. It also helps that I am pretty good in physics and somewhat enjoy calculus. I'm not sure what kind of engineering I would like to do, but I would like to work with nanotechnology, biomedical, or mechanical systems in the future.

Can any current engineers share some advice?

|TG-Irr|Icarus893
          sigpic

Comment

I graduated with a Electrical Engineering Degree with a focus in Power Systems and Distribution design. In simple terms I learned everything there is to know about designing high voltage systems, the magic behind 3 Phase power, motor's, generators, electrical protective devices, fault current analysis, and lately have been studying a lot about Arc Fault's.

Engineering is a very difficult world to get into as there is soooo much you can focus in. I personally support electrical because the future will demand advances in electrical systems and certainly power distribution.

I would really suggest you talk to a councilor Icarus and see if they can help in finding schools that could focus in Nanotechnology or biomedical. If you do find one, your looking at a private college that's gonna cost you a arm and a leg.
            FORMER 22ND RRR/FORMER 1ST JTOC/ ALWAYS A TACTICALGAMER

Spartan 4

Comment

Originally posted by Cattley View Post
              Sordavie, thank you for the words of encouragement. :)

Ferris, I'm so glad you've found a job that makes you happy and I know what you mean when you say poking people around with sharp objects is fun (hehe :p).
              Indeed it is fun :) I have been poking people for over 15 years doing tattoo's. I am sure your benefits are better than mine, but I get to make my own hours and listen to rock and roll while doing my surgical procedures ;) Good luck Cattley and Ferris, my wife is a paramedic/LPN and I know how stressful things can be at times but much more rewarding than not, except the bed pans EWWW! JK

Comment

Current Job: Shift Manager for a Teleradiology company, night shifts. Work from home.
                Dream Job: ???

Don't even know. Have given a lot of thought to journalism, specifically video game journalism, but a degree in journalism is... ech.
                Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  Indeed it is fun :) I have been poking people for over 15 years doing tattoo's. I am sure your benefits are better than mine, but I get to make my own hours and listen to rock and roll while doing my surgical procedures ;) Good luck Cattley and Ferris, my wife is a paramedic/LPN and I know how stressful things can be at times but much more rewarding than not, except the bed pans EWWW! JK
                  I don't get that many benefits just yet, but I do love what I do! I'd love to get to hear some good rock whilst working, but that's not always possible. :( Either way, it's awesome to know we have yet another person who enjoys poking people! :D

It's funny how, as time goes by, I learn of more and more people who work in such interesting fields. This, of course, was one of the main reasons as to why I made this thread - unraveling the fact that TG members are diverse in so many ways, such as in the wide variety of professions they employ. In any case, thanks for the words of encouragement, Shane!

CAT

PS: Even when I can't hear my own music at work, you can be sure some of the patients will bring their music... and others, their musicians! :p

|-|
                  |-|
                  |-|
                  |-|
                  |-|
                  |-|
                  |-|
                  VV

Comment

Well I don't have a career yet. As it stands I'm in my freshman year of College and studying for a degree in Computer Security, possibly as a dual major or at least a minor with Computer Science. Not sure where I'll go with it, but my goal is a job working for the NSA or another government agency. Hopefully someday down the road I'll be able to look back on this and provide an update :)

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancer’s maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                      Current Job: Shift Manager for a Teleradiology company, night shifts. Work from home.
                      Dream Job: ???
                      That's really awesome. First one I've met too, even in my line of work/study. Well met. :)

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                      Don't even know. Have given a lot of thought to journalism, specifically video game journalism, but a degree in journalism is... ech.
                      What's wrong with a degree in journalism? Best thing you can do, I think, is to follow your passion. Some jobs are risky and some are safe (financially speaking). However, there tend to be few we are actually able to enjoy throughout our lifetime. Pick wisely. Do some work experience in a few places so that you can find out what really makes you happy.

At any rate, keep us posted! :)

Comment

Originally posted by TheLancerMancer View Post
                        Well I don't have a career yet. As it stands I'm in my freshman year of College and studying for a degree in Computer Security, possibly as a dual major or at least a minor with Computer Science. Not sure where I'll go with it, but my goal is a job working for the NSA or another government agency.
                        That is quite possibly one of the most interesting courses I've heard of. As for not having fully decided where you want to go just yet, that's completely normal, as I'm sure you know. In college, though, you must have career councilors which will be of great help to you regarding your next destination. Meanwhile, I'm sure that, should someone in TG see your post and feel able to contribute, they might share some interesting information which could help you in the future - so, check this thread every now and then if you can. :)

Originally posted by TheLancerMancer View Post
                        Hopefully someday down the road I'll be able to look back on this and provide an update :)
                        We'll hold you too it. :p Best of luck to you in your en devours! :D

Comment

1) I enjoy it immensely. The rush in surgery, of holding a beating heart in your hands, for instance... there is nothing else quite like it.

Comment

Originally posted by viper1986 View Post
                            I graduated with a Electrical Engineering Degree with a focus in Power Systems and Distribution design. In simple terms I learned everything there is to know about designing high voltage systems, the magic behind 3 Phase power, motor's, generators, electrical protective devices, fault current analysis.
                            You think you have....I'm the guy in the "field" that makes your paper designs work :)
                            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I'm a Quality Engineer at a Tier 1 supplier for Toyota. We make brake lines and other tubing related parts. I'm a little underemployed as I actually hold a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, but I like living where I do (other than crappy Internet) so I'm a little reluctant to move off for a little more money.

Working in Quality is a tight rope act. The whole goal is to make decisions without someone yelling at you... If you are too lax and let bad parts go to the customer, the customer yells and if you are too restrictive and demanding, production yells because they will have to work Saturday to make it up. I've been dubbed the Grim Reaper by some as they claim I'm always the bearer of bad news.

Decisions I make directly effect Toyota's and our other customers' production and, in the end, can directly effect any member of the general public driving a vehicle with our brake lines. A bad decision can quickly cost my company a great deal of money in the best case.

It's an alright gig, but not something I see myself doing forever.

Dream Job: Engineer in the firearms industry. Remington or Barrett would be nice... Maybe a job at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X