Skiing anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiing anyone?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone here skis. Mainly because I will be trying to ski for the first time. Anyone got any tips or things i should buy first?
    BTW, im going to use rental skis just in case i don't like it.
    sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Re: Skiing anyone?

Hey Vinman. I ski and snowboard. I say get an instructor for the first day and see how that goes. If you have a friend who knows how to ski maybe he could go with you. Skiing with someone is always more fun then alone. There are different types of skis but I'm sure the rental place will set you up and explain the differences. He should ask you how advanced you are. If you didn't rent a place to stay on the mountain and have a rental car, find out about parking close to the mountain. Walking in ski boots is a pain. Oh and I have recently seen allot of people wearing helmets now a days when they ski or board so you may want to consider it depending on how skilled you turn out to be.

Where are you going skiing where are you from?

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I too have both skiid? skidded? skud? and snowboarded. Unless you have your heart set on skiing I would suggest to try snowboarding first. I learned to ski as a youngster, had a 10 year break and then took up snowboarding. Boarding was easier to learn in my opinion, but like skiing I was completely self taught. With actual instruction who knows? I just went straight to the top of the mountain, and fell down most of the way, not that I'm recommending this method, but by day two I was actually able to spend more time standing up than laying down. The best advice I can give is the same advice everyone gave me when I asked, "Keep trying, don't give up."

Edit: You do mean snow ski right? Re-reading your post you could mean water I suppose, if you live near the equator or something.

Comment

I got skiing a few times a month and Nomad goes snowboarding at least once a week.

Basically, trouble hit it right on the head. Get an instructor. Shell out the cash for lessons and learn to get on your feet. The adult instructors will work with you all day and get you off the "bunny slopes" and onto something a little more fun.

Oh yeah, and since its your first time skiing, i dont care how physically fit you might think you are, be prepared to feel like you just got run over by a train the next day. Skiing uses muscle groups you never knew existed.

Have fun making tracks!

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u View Post
          Where are you going skiing where are you from?
          http://www.songmountain.com That where I would be going. Its just a small mountain off of Syracuse NY. I know some people who teach there so i thought i might as well try. And I do have a friend who skis and he is going to help me the first couple of times. Hes been skiing for the past 2 years.

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
          Edit: You do mean snow ski right? Re-reading your post you could mean water I suppose, if you live near the equator or something.
          Yes I mean snow ski, sorry. Should've clarified that.

And Ferris im so jacked I got nothing to worry about :P But ya, im going to plan on being wicked sore for the rest of the week lol.
          Thanks for the advice guys!
          sigpic

Comment

Big skier here. My advice is just to take it slow, learn the basics, and not try anything too tough (or steep!) too soon! That said, have fun!

|TG-Irr|Icarus893
            sigpic

Comment

Wear a helmet.
              Skud

Comment

I'm a big snowboarder. Take a lesson, don't stress, and enjoy yourself.

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                Wear a helmet.
                Seconded. Don't feel stupid either, I wear my helmet when snowboarding all the time and I'll tell you, I've smacked my head before.

Comment

It takes a lot of patience and a little bit of fearlessness to start out. Just go slow and do the "pizza slice" technique until you get more comfortable. Not just for your safety, but the safety of those around you lol.
                  "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                    Wear a helmet.
                    I thought wearing a helmet was a legal requirement? Maybe that's only in Europe.
                    Anyway, wear a helmet.
                    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I did my first bit of snow skiing in Dubai (Yeah I know..) and it does use muscle in places you might not be used to.. I didn't have an instructor and just got on with it, but really instruction is the best way. They less chance of breaking something and builds you up nicely from the basics.
                      BF3 Soldier: DrSparky

"Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Skiing's is my absolute favorite thing to do. Well perhaps sex is better, but skiing comes dang close. I just got back from Jackson Hole, WY, and am going to Colorado in a couple weeks for another week of skiing.

My advice for a beginner would be as follows:
                        1.) Do not buy skis. Start out with renting until you know it's something you want to pursue. If you end up loving it, buy some good boots, but continue renting skis until you figure out exactly what you want. There's no rush on buying skis, but boots are of great importance.
                        2.) TAKE LESSONS! I can not emphasize this enough. DO NOT learn from your buddies. Friends don't let friends teach friends how to ski. I've seen so many injuries as a result of this. I'm an "advanced" to "expert" skier (depending on where I am), and STILL take lessons at least one day every trip. The lessons become even more fun the better you get.
                        3.) Enjoy you're favorite new hobby! Don't get frustrated if you don't pick it up the first few minutes. Just keep at it, listen to your instructor, and you'll learn quickly and have a great time.

As far as the ski versus snowboard debate, I'm not anti-snowboard or anything. Just do whichever one looks more fun to you. Many people have told me that skiing is easier to pick up, but harder to master, whereas snowboarding is way harder to learn initially, but easier to master. Take your pick. I think snowboarding looks fun, but I'm partial to skiing, since I know I'm good at it, and would hate to waste a good ski day tumbling down the mountain attempting to learn snowboarding. Haha.

Also, remember that while I'll promote renting skis for a while, rental boots usually blow. They're usually packed out, the stock insoles always suck, and they often don't fit right since so many different sized feet and calves have been in them. SO, to get started, spend the bucks on some good quality ski socks. I recommend Smartwool brand socks. They're padded in the shins and other pressure spots and are quite warm. Again, as soon as you catch the bug, go get fitted for a good pair of boots. They're not cheap, but are a much better investment than skis. I've had my boots for 3 seasons now, and FINALLY bought a couple pairs of skis for this season. Those boots alone helped my skiing tremendously. Now I'm almost ready for another pair that is stiffer for my steep terrain.

For more good advice, go check out the forums at www.epicski.com
                        There's a lot of experience there. ENJOY THE MOUNTAIN! You're gonna love it! When you're ready, come on out West. ;)
                        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                          Skiing's is my absolute favorite thing to do. Well perhaps sex is better, but skiing comes dang close. I just got back from Jackson Hole, WY, and am going to Colorado in a couple weeks for another week of skiing.

My advice for a beginner would be as follows:
                          1.) Do not buy skis. Start out with renting until you know it's something you want to pursue. If you end up loving it, buy some good boots, but continue renting skis until you figure out exactly what you want. There's no rush on buying skis, but boots are of great importance.
                          2.) TAKE LESSONS! I can not emphasize this enough. DO NOT learn from your buddies. Friends don't let friends teach friends how to ski. I've seen so many injuries as a result of this. I'm an "advanced" to "expert" skier (depending on where I am), and STILL take lessons at least one day every trip. The lessons become even more fun the better you get.
                          3.) Enjoy you're favorite new hobby! Don't get frustrated if you don't pick it up the first few minutes. Just keep at it, listen to your instructor, and you'll learn quickly and have a great time.

As far as the ski versus snowboard debate, I'm not anti-snowboard or anything. Just do whichever one looks more fun to you. Many people have told me that skiing is easier to pick up, but harder to master, whereas snowboarding is way harder to learn initially, but easier to master. Take your pick. I think snowboarding looks fun, but I'm partial to skiing, since I know I'm good at it, and would hate to waste a good ski day tumbling down the mountain attempting to learn snowboarding. Haha.

Also, remember that while I'll promote renting skis for a while, rental boots usually blow. They're usually packed out, the stock insoles always suck, and they often don't fit right since so many different sized feet and calves have been in them. SO, to get started, spend the bucks on some good quality ski socks. I recommend Smartwool brand socks. They're padded in the shins and other pressure spots and are quite warm. Again, as soon as you catch the bug, go get fitted for a good pair of boots. They're not cheap, but are a much better investment than skis. I've had my boots for 3 seasons now, and FINALLY bought a couple pairs of skis for this season. Those boots alone helped my skiing tremendously. Now I'm almost ready for another pair that is stiffer for my steep terrain.

For more good advice, go check out the forums at www.epicski.com
                          There's a lot of experience there. ENJOY THE MOUNTAIN! You're gonna love it! When you're ready, come on out West. ;)
                          Thanks for the great advice! Well ill only be going maybe twice the rest of the season but im planning on going more next year. Also, what is a good site to buy skiing gear? I know of http://www.proboardshop.com/ but thats about it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vinman13 View Post
                            Thanks for the great advice! Well ill only be going maybe twice the rest of the season but im planning on going more next year. Also, what is a good site to buy skiing gear? I know of http://www.proboardshop.com/ but thats about it.
                            I would recommend buying your boots in person. Nothing is worse than a pair of boots that don't fit, and nothing is better than a pair of boots that do.

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                              I would recommend buying your boots in person. Nothing is worse than a pair of boots that don't fit, and nothing is better than a pair of boots that do.
                              Great point! Definitely do NOT buy your boots online. I've bought my skis online from various vendors, but that's only after I've demo'd the same ski in person, and found what model and size I wanted. You can get good deals everywhere as the end of the season approaches. I've even found great deals at the mountain.

Online, I've liked the selection from:
                              www.backcountry.com
                              www.rei.com (pricier, but crazy big selection)
                              www.departmentofgoods.com (I think it's an outlet for backcountry, and I've scored some crazy good deals here)
                              www.sunandski.com (they run some great specials on skis at the end of the season)
                              stores.ebay.com/ASOGEAR (And don't forget ebay. I bought a pair of skis there from this big vendor)
                              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X