• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boy Who Stole Half-Life 2

Now that's an interesting story right here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...life-2-article

Originally posted by Eurogamer
    At 6am on 7th May 2004, Axel Gembe awoke in the small German town of Schönau im Schwarzwald to find his bed surrounded by police officers.
    (...)
    "You are being charged with hacking into Valve Corporation's network, stealing the videogame Half-Life 2, leaking it onto the internet and causing damages in excess of $250 million"
    former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Re: The Boy Who Stole Half-Life 2

haha, wow.
    sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Comment

I wonder what Gabe thinks about it now...
      |

Former Irregular and 18th SFOD
      Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
      We laughed, knowing that better men would come,
      And greater wars; when each proud fighter brags
      He wars on Death, for lives: not men, for flags.

Comment

I know, right? That poor naive little German dude, all he wanted to do was explore the internet! The hacker's "malware crimes, while undeniably exploitative and damaging, were crimes driven by a passion for games rather than profits"! He started stealing game keys because he was poor and couldn't afford those pricey Steam games!

Please.

Comment

Such a great story!
          I can't help it, but I always have sympathy for hackers. Especially if they don't REALLY cause harm.

So he nicked the source code. So what?
          Yes, I can remember the leaked versions, I read stories about how useless and ****ty it was basically. Big deal.
          This guy hasn't caused any harm at all. Every cracker who produces fixed EXEs is doing a much better job at hurting the business.

But catching a hacker is always good PR and a good story.

Btw... NOBODY likes Gabe! We play his games, but we despise him. (Yes, I speak for the majority of the gamers. Deal with it :D)
          sigpic

Comment

^ You certainly don't speak to me then, as I admire what Gabe Newell and his company has done for PC Gaming.

On topic, this was a very interesting story. All those years back I really disliked what he did, and now after reading this article, I still believe what he did was wrong, short-sighted and malicious. However, it is good to see he has changed for the better as a person, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Vouk View Post
              Btw... NOBODY likes Gabe! We play his games, but we despise him.
              Ehh. More that he's the public face of Valve and is an easy target to mock. If somebody else in the company was the public face, they would be completely interchangeable with Gabe for most of the whiner's gripes with the company. Valve has issues, undoubtedly, but universal hatred of Gabe? That's just for ignoramuses that would be angry over nothing for ANY reason (that phrasing makes no sense but it's still the best way to put it).

If you want to name somebody that gamers truly hate unanimously, look no farther than Bob Kotick.

Comment

FL1P: You can still admire someone for his work, yet despise him for his other actions and personality ;)

And Flar... Compared to Kotick, Gabe is like John Candy xD
                sigpic

Comment

Gabe hasn't done anything to me as a consumer to warrant the animosity.

Kotick on the other hand...

Comment

So he nicked the source code. So what?
                    Exactly. I mean, what's so important about the source code for a game, right? :P

Comment

Axel Gembe is doing an 'Ask Me Anything' thread on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...ating_article/

This question/answer is particularly interesting.
                      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
                        Exactly. I mean, what's so important about the source code for a game, right? :P
                        Sure it's important.
                        But did he cause any harm? Not really. Those guys who would have pirated the game did so anyway, even without a ****ty leaked alpha or beta.
                        Those guys who would have bought the game did so anway.

So?
                        Harm?
                        None.

It's like the whining about songs on YouTube. Those guys who pirate the songs or can't be bother to pay for the music, will just leech them somewhere if they can't listen to it on YT.
                        Those guys who buy their music, DO SO ANYWAY.
                        sigpic

Comment

Wow, I can't help but be impressed by Gembe, he was stupid to pass the source code to another person though.
                          If he had just taken some screen shots and sent the to gaming mags, Valve could not have bought better PR than that.
                          Maybe he would have gotten the job :)
                          "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Sure it's important.
                            But did he cause any harm? Not really. Those guys who would have pirated the game did so anyway, even without a ****ty leaked alpha or beta.
                            Those guys who would have bought the game did so anway.

So?
                            Harm?
                            None.

It's like the whining about songs on YouTube. Those guys who pirate the songs or can't be bother to pay for the music, will just leech them somewhere if they can't listen to it on YT.
                            Those guys who buy their music, DO SO ANYWAY.
                            It's still theft, though. Theft on a large scale, since the source code represented many man-hours of work. You don't punish theft based on if anyone takes the stolen merchandise, you punish theft based on the monetary value of what was stolen.

Don't judge the act based on hindsight knowledge that Half-Life 2 was still a enormous success, and that the monetary damage that the leak caused was erased many times over through retail sales of HL2. The work that went into the source code represented millions of dollars. That isn't something that you should shrug your shoulders at. :icon23:

Comment

Well... If you STEAL something, the owner usually does not have it anymore.

If someone has a patent on an idea which he plans to produce, and someone steals his idea or reads notes or whatever, then this could be considered theft.
                              But is it REALLY theft if the thief doesn't do anything with the whole idea?
                              Sure, if the thief uses the idea to produce the product himself and makes money out of the idea of another guy - clearly theft.
                              If he just looks at the thing and enjoys.... whatever... where is the harm? There is no monetary harm for the inventor. So what's the big deal? (Yes, I do see the whole thing as a big deal, but not from a legal point of view)

And OF COURSE we should judge on the knowledge of it's ACTUAL harm.
                              If someone shoots at another person he will be judges based on the OUTCOME of the crime. Yes, he will be judged for the mere try, but attempted murder is still something different than actual murder.

What if someone would break into the Louvre to take a photograph of the Mona Lisa?
                              He sneaks in, takes a picture, takes it home and enjoys looking at it.
                              The actual Mona Lisa is still there, the painting wasn't harmed.
                              YES it's still breaking and entering. But there's a difference between that and the actual theft of a painting.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X