Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum and reputation points

Hey guys,

i was looking at my profile today and realized that i had 15 reputation points. Can someone explain to me (or direct me toward a link) how does it work exactly?

Thanks!
    sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Re: Forum and reputation points

Thanks for that question, I would like to know as well. I have like 180 points and don't know what they are for or how to give them out.

Comment

The star below your Avatar is a reputation button. You push that and either give positive or negative reputation. You can give any post positive or negative rep, based on something they say, they link, pretty much whatever. I will + rep you both, and then you can see it on your profile page. Back in the old days it meant a lot more, with reputation being easier to see. Maybe we should hit O'Neill up to fix it?! ;)

Comment

OH thx Jeepo, I bet people where thinking I was hording all my points lol.

Comment

Yep, the rep system is fairly simple. Like or really dislike someone's post? Click on the star at the bottom that, now that i look at it, really resembles a sheriff's badge. From there, you'll get a little popup that asks whether you approve or disapprove (which is +rep or -rep) and a comment box that you can write stuff in.

A little more detailed explanation goes into the amount of rep you get: it's not just one point up or down for each time someone gives you rep. The amount received or detracted is based on how much rep THEY have. So, for example, I have just over 7000 rep and shane has about 180 as he said. If both he and I +rep someone, he may boost their rep by 2 or 3 points while my +rep boosts them by 20 or 25. Also, you cant rep spam someone. You'll notice that if you +rep someone and then try to do it again, it tells you "you need to spread some reputation around blah blah blah". This is to prevent spam. You then have to give + or - rep to a certain number of people around the forums (its more than ten, by the way) before you can +rep the original person again.

I really dont care much about the actual points themselves. The rep system to me is just a way of providing one-line feedback to someone about their post that doesnt need to be or belong in the thread and isnt long enough to merit a PM.

Oh, and jeepo, the reason the rep indicator was taken away in the first place was so that rep didnt become some kind of petty competition amongst the members and lead to spam wars. I know for a fact that its been asked to be returned several times and every time Apophis says no, so I wouldnt hold my breath for it to make a public comeback. :D

Comment

It's because mine is beyond repute.
            Skud

Comment

I might be blind but i only see the star at the bottom of MY avatar, for everybody else i see only 'blog this post' report' :(
              sigpic

Dont be shy, add me on Steam by clicking the icon below.

Comment

Thats because +/- rep is only available to be GIVEN by supporting members, but can be received by anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                  Thats because +/- rep is only available to be GIVEN by supporting members, but can be received by anyone.
                  Actually, a non-SM can give rep if they have posting permission to the Sandbox. At least, that's how it worked for me.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X