Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-Cigs and the joy of not killing myself.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Cigs and the joy of not killing myself.

So I've been smoking since I was a freshman in high school. I was weak and I gave in to peer pressure. That was many many years ago (I turn 29 on Friday the 18th). I've tried numerous times to quit, but they all failed. Giving up a cigarette after a meal, or while I was driving, or after other such events was something I just couldn't think I could do.

Well, I had to. You see, I went to the doctor a little over a month ago and she told me that I had high blood pressure. Now, at almost 29 years old, I was told that was WAY too young to be having high blood pressure. We talked about my smoking, and she prescribed me Chantix. Miraculously, the Chantix did it's job and made me not want to smoke, but not by itself. I've also been a hobbyist in a E-Cig community, vaping away while I was at work or just enjoying some new juice blend that sounded tasty. The combination of these two things, means that I have been 100% smoke free for over a month now. That's a huge feat for me.

So the reason I made this post, is I wanted to see if there are any other people in this community that use E-Cig's. Certainly if it worked for me, and knowing its booming popularity, there must be others that have tried them. Let's discuss what products you use, where you get your juice/accessories from, etc. :)

Re: E-Cigs and the joy of not killing myself.

I wouldn't think the e-cigs would lower your blood pressure at all. The way I understand it, nicotine is a vasoconstrictor (causes blood vessels to constrict), causing a rise in blood pressure. Don't E-cigs have nicotine in them at roughly the same levels as a regular cigarette?

sigpic

Comment

Approximately, I believe so. However I'm not using the E-cig nearly as much as I was smoking. I was smoking about a pack a day. From the e-cig, I might puff on it enough to amount to 5 or 6 cigarettes...maybe.

Comment

Sorry to continue the jacking of your thread but, as a smoker of 20+ years, I have been wanting to quit for some time now. As you had stated in your original post, one of the hardest things for a smoker to quit is the habit of smoking after a meal, while driving, etc. How much, do you think, has Chantix helped with that? Also, I've seen on the commercials for Chantix that it may cause vivid and/or unusual dreams as a side effect. Have you experienced anything like that or, the darker side effects of depressed mood, suicidal thoughts, etc.?

sigpic

Comment

No worries at all. I don't consider this a threadjack since it's still related to smoking and the assistance to quit.

To be honest, I couldn't have quit without the Chantix. It just would not have been possible. The Chantix took away my craving for cigarettes entirely. If you aren't familiar with how it works, it's pretty simple. As a smoker, you have receptors in your brain that want to be satisfied by nicotine. The Chantix literally blocks them so that they don't send you that signal requiring cigarettes or nicotine. It's pretty remarkable actually with how well it works, especially considering how heavy of a smoker I was.

There are plenty of recorded cases of the side effects you talked about. My doctor specifically mentioned suicidal thoughts, depression, anxiety, hallucinations and nightmares to me, but I honestly didn't experience any of them. Obviously not everybody gets them.

I coupled the Chantix with the e-cig to satisfy the physical addiction, and the rest is history.

Comment

Congratulations Waffle, that is a huge accomplishment
            "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

I tried the e-cigs last year. I'm a two pack a day smoker and wanted to cut back, and with cigs at nearly $10 a pack it was worth a try. For the first two days it was a little rough. I'm used to menthol but the starter kit can with regular. There was that usual adjustment to the taste that you get when switching brands. Just like when you bum a smoke off a friend and he smokes a different cig. Regular cigs taste like cardboard to me I'm so used to menthol, but that nicotine fix is there. :)
              Aside from the weight of the e-cig there was no real difference after the third day. There are health drawbacks to the e-cig they say, but it has to be safer then regular cigs (I hope). It's far cheaper and I do smoke less if you can call that smoking.

I tried the patch but it gave me chest pains. I tried gum but that made me sick to my stomach. E-cigs gave me a slight headache the fist day or two. But after nearly two years I have gone from 2 packs a day to about half a pack a day. The real benefit is I'm not smoking around my son.

Wish you luck with your blood pressure.
              Fear is the mother of all gods. Nature does all things spontainiosly by herself without their meddling.

Comment

Great to hear that they worked for you Megaputz. Any sort of progress is still progress none the less. :)

What health drawbacks do you refer to? From the research that I've done, the only real risk is in the nicotine (unless you're allergic to the juices, in which case they have alternatives to that), but even then, nicotine by itself is about as harmless as caffeine (sorta). The real danger in cigarettes come from the carcinogens. The evil chemicals they put in the cigarette to preserve them and "add flavor".

I'm currently vaping with juice called "Mandarin Orange"...it's delicious.

Comment

Congrats! I hadn't heard of Chantix until reading this thread - I'll have a look. I'm not actually a smoker myself although many friends are but I'm quite interested in how the chantix and e-cigs work.

Congatulations again, glad to see an example of people managing to kick the habit :D

Tiger got to hunt, Bird got to fly, Man got to sit and wonder 'Why, why, why?'
                  Tiger got to sleep, Bird got to land, Man got to tell himself he understand.

Comment

Chantix works great....the problem is when you get off of it, this comes from someone who has used chantix.....twice. No matter what you may think do not stop taking it before the 90 days is up. Trust me on this :)
                    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                      Chantix works great....the problem is when you get off of it, this comes from someone who has used chantix.....twice. No matter what you may think do not stop taking it before the 90 days is up. Trust me on this :)
                      I think that depends on the person to be honest. I was only on Chantix for two months total, and have been off of it for about 2 or 3 weeks now I think, and I've been fine, but then again, I've been using the E-Cig as well, so that may be helping. There are days I don't use the e-cig though and I seem to be just fine.

Comment

my best friend's gf is using them instead of smoking a regular cigarette. interesting how they work too. but ill never smoke one or a regular one, plus my wife used the patches to weed off of them, and my brother went cold turkey to quit lol. for me the worst time was i was in the navy and when the smoking lamp went up on my ship i usually had to travel through the smoking pit to get somewhere. i'm so glad i did not have to clean it. we left that job to the smokers in my department.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
                          Sorry to continue the jacking of your thread but, as a smoker of 20+ years, I have been wanting to quit for some time now. As you had stated in your original post, one of the hardest things for a smoker to quit is the habit of smoking after a meal, while driving, etc. How much, do you think, has Chantix helped with that? Also, I've seen on the commercials for Chantix that it may cause vivid and/or unusual dreams as a side effect. Have you experienced anything like that or, the darker side effects of depressed mood, suicidal thoughts, etc.?
                          The thing to understand about side effect lists is this: They do a study group. If x number of the 200 (for example) get a "headache" they have to list it as a side effect. This is why on almost every prescription drug there are some side effects always there: headache, nausea, diarrhea, and others. Sometimes, if even one person in the study group gets a certain side-effect, the manufacturer must list it.
                          Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                            The thing to understand about side effect lists is this: They do a study group. If x number of the 200 (for example) get a "headache" they have to list it as a side effect. This is why on almost every prescription drug there are some side effects always there: headache, nausea, diarrhea, and others. Sometimes, if even one person in the study group gets a certain side-effect, the manufacturer must list it.
                            I completely understand and was trying to not list any of the common one-size-fits-all side effects. My mother tried Chantix to quit smoking and she had to stop taking it because of the nightmares. Whereas my cousin used it and had no unusual dreams but instead had depression. I honestly don't think I would be much bothered by the dreams, were I to try Chantix... but, I already suffer from mild depression and would rather not tempt fate.

Unfortunately for me, e-cigs aren't really an option due to cost.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                              The thing to understand about side effect lists is this:
                              This thread made me look up the various side effects and the list for caffeine looks almost alien to me. I mean, yeah, I know some people get caffeine headaches but seriously, a few of the stranger ones surprised me. Never heard of someone getting blurred vision from a cup of coffee.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X