Hi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

Hi, I'm new and I've got this school assignment. It'd be really great if some people could spare five or ten minutes from their day to do a survey (below) or an interview for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time :)

1. How would you describe the gamer subculture using twenty-five words or less?
    2. How long have you been involved in the gamer subculture?
    3. How many hours per week would you be playing video games?
    4. What genres of video games do you normally play? (Choose up to three)
    5. Excluding the PC; what gaming consoles do you use most often? (Choose up to three)
    6. What games do you play most often? (Choose up to three)
    7. How many new video games would you buy in a month?
    8. How many video games do you have in your collection at the moment?
    9. What was the first console that you used?
    10. Do you play any online games? Y/N
    11. If so, do you find them more enjoyable than offline games? Y/N
    12. What are the five characteristics that you associate most with gamers?
    13. What would you say are the two least attractive points you associate with the gamer subculture?

Re: Hi

First and foremost, welcomt to TG! I'm sure you'll find that there are a lot of people here who will be more than willing to answer your questions honesly and openly. Feel free to browse around the community and see all that TG has to offer!

Subsequent to my brief introduction, I'll spare a few to help you out.
    1. Amalgamation of erudite and mongoloid addicts swimming in a cesspool of overpriced software to satiate cravings for digital interaction.
    2. 25 years. Yes, I started gaming on an apple II/c and atari 2600 at age 4.
    3. 20-25 hours.
    4. FPS, RTS, RPG.
    5. Xbox 360 approximately once a month.
    6. (currently) World of Tanks, Battlefield 2: Project Reality, Battlefield: Bad Company 2.
    7. Cant ballpark it. Generally zero, but since games come out in clusters, sometimes as many as ten.
    8. Over 200.
    9. Atari 2600.
    10. Yes.
    11. Yes.
    12. This is a loaded question in a community like TG. With the community we have, I'd associate maturity, respect, discipline, intelligence and gaming acumen. Outside of TG, i'd say the polar opposite of those qualities.
    13. Lack of respect for the PC gaming community by developers and software companies charging outlandish prices for unfinished, unpolished, overrated games.

Hope those answers help you a bit.

Comment

1. How would you describe the gamer subculture using twenty-five words or less? The gamer subculture is a huge bunch of people who play and associate with each other because of what thay like.
      2. How long have you been involved in the gamer subculture? since i was 4 or five
      3. How many hours per week would you be playing video games? 16
      4. What genres of video games do you normally play? (Choose up to three) FPS RTS and Simulation
      5. Excluding the PC; what gaming consoles do you use most often? (Choose up to three) PS3 PS2 ipod Touch (if you count that as one)
      6. What games do you play most often? (Choose up to three) Battlefield 2 Project Reality. Madden NFL 11, and Bad Company
      7. How many new video games would you buy in a month? 1
      8. How many video games do you have in your collection at the moment? 96 exactly
      9. What was the first console that you used? PC
      10. Do you play any online games? Y/N Yes
      11. If so, do you find them more enjoyable than offline games? Y/N Yes and no
      12. What are the five characteristics that you associate most with gamers? respect, intellegence, humour, maturity, and discipline in what they do and play.
      13. What would you say are the two least attractive points you associate with the gamer subculture? Companies ditching PC users for the 'newer' consoles. Making games for Consoles then having to downgrade them to a PC version

|TG-Irr| sushi-sacha111

'A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.'
      Winston Churchill

sigpicBasic Inf Project Reality BF2 Basic Tanking WoT

Comment

Nice survey you put together by the way

|TG-Irr| sushi-sacha111

'A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.'
        Winston Churchill

sigpicBasic Inf Project Reality BF2 Basic Tanking WoT

Comment

Hey, welcome to TG!

1. How would you describe the gamer subculture using twenty-five words or less? An extremely varied group of people who have at least one common interest.
          2. How long have you been involved in the gamer subculture? I've been a gamer since I was about 8, but I only started playing online when I was about 11 - so 10 or 7 years.
          3. How many hours per week would you be playing video games? Perhaps 18 - 1-2 per weekday with up to 4 on weekend days.
          4. What genres of video games do you normally play? (Choose up to three) First Person Shooter, Real Time Strategy, Role-Playing Game.
          5. Excluding the PC; what gaming consoles do you use most often? (Choose up to three) Playstation 2 (rarely), Playstation Portable (extremely rarely).
          6. What games do you play most often? (Choose up to three) It depends on what my mood is - currently I've been playing Dragon Age Origins, Just Cause 2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat, but my most played games (according to xfire) are Battlefield 2, Team Fortress 2 and Dragon Age Origins.
          7. How many new video games would you buy in a month? On average, less than 1 - some months may have a few new releases that I'll buy, others may have none.
          8. How many video games do you have in your collection at the moment? About 70 PC games.
          9. What was the first console that you used? PC or PS2 - can't remember which.
          10. Do you play any online games? Y/N Yes.
          11. If so, do you find them more enjoyable than offline games? Y/N It depends on the game and the people I'm playing with. Mostly I enjoy multiplayer and singleplayer equally, so I guess the answer would be no.
          12. What are the five characteristics that you associate most with gamers? Passion, loyalty, strongly-held opinions, short memories, acceptance of new people.
          13. What would you say are the two least attractive points you associate with the gamer subculture? Intolerance, sexism.

(Regarding questions 12 and 13 - my answers were in general. The gaming communities I am a member of (Tactical Gamer and Rock, Paper, Shotgun) are nearly always lovely, welcoming, friendly and respectful. Random public multiplayer can often remind me how lucky I am to have found the few bastions of niceness in gaming.)
          Last edited by westyfield; 03-26-2011, 01:57 PM.
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Mynameisbob View Post
            Hi, I'm new and I've got this school assignment. It'd be really great if some people could spare five or ten minutes from their day to do a survey (below) or an interview for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time :)
            Hey Bob! Welcome to TG. As others have said; I think you'll likely get a good response from folks here.

1. Diverse. I think the concept of the "gamer subculture" has changed tremendously over the years. Between PC and console gaming, more people from unique walks of life are playing games. My 70+ year old mother has regular Wii gaming sessions with her friends.

2. About 25-30 years.

3. 2-3. Unfortunately I spend most of my "gaming" time working on the site and handling administrative issues, as a result my gaming time has been
            seriously cut down.

4. FPS, RTS, RPG (Fallout, not WoW)

5. PS3 primarily, Xbox 360 on occasion.

6. Fallout: New Vegas, GT5

7. 1-2

8. Hundreds

9. Atari 2600

10. Y

11. Depends on the players. In most cases, no. But I created TG so I could turn that answer into a "yes".

12. This is a difficult one to answer simply because TG, and it's member base, is considerably different than what you would see with most gamers. Problem Solving, Observant and Critical Thinking are three that come to mind.

13. Intolerance and Selfishness. Two things that we strive to avoid here whenever possible.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

---Bad spots here and there but for the most part people with a common interest interacting in a way that would otherwise be unavailable.

---About 5 years now. Started playing games online my first year of high school.

---25-35 hours. College, so even after my studies I've got plenty of time on my hands.

---FPS, RPG (ARPG/Dungeon Crawler normally)

5. Excluding the PC; what gaming consoles do you use most often? (Choose up to three)
              ---Xbox 360, when I'm with my friends. Wii at home, but rarely use it anymore.

---Call of Duty Black Ops, Day of Defeat Source, Battlefield Bad Company 2

---One or two. Three or more is rare.

---30 on PC, 6 on Wii, and roughly 50-60 on Playstation 1 and 2.

---Nintendo 64 or Sega Dreamcast. Started playing both around the same time.

---Yes

---Yes, as being online brings a social aspect into the game that just isn't there otherwise.

---Some of these will be repeats: Good Humor, Competitive, Respect, Loyal, Opinionated.

13. What would you say are the two least attractive points you associate with the gamer subculture?
              ---This seems a little bit broad, so my answer is in terms of the player base of games: Trolls and HAX!!-callers. Too many players out there seem to have nothing better to do than be generally stupid and offensive, and just as many can't seem to get it through they're heads that someone can be good at a game without hacks or exploits.

Good luck with the survey and Welcome to Tactical Gamer!

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

---Mainstream. US consumers bought $10.5 billion of entertainment software in 2009, versus $6.3 billion of music. Gaming is not sub-culture any more.

---30 years. Started with pen and paper.

---Varies per week and through the year based on work and family commitments. Typically 5-20.

---FPS, MMO, Casual

---Xbox 360. My Wii CD reader went bad and I can't be bothered to fix it.

---Battlefield Bad Company 2, Red Dead Redemption, Pirates of the Caribbean Online.

---New releases? 1-2 per year. Sale prices? 5-6 per Steam sale.

---20 installed on PC, probably another 20 or so on CD-ROM that I'll load on occasion. 8 on Xbox.

---Magnavox Oddessy 2. You'll have to google it because they don't even have it in museums any more.

---Yes

---Not consistently. Single player or AI/Bot opponents are predictable and it's easier to develop tactics to give you that ego-stroking movie hero feel that we want from games. Humans are less predictable, both as opponents and allies. Inconsistent allies are more frustrating than inconsistent opponents, and the quality of allies makes or breaks the enjoyment of the game session.

---I'm going to give you two answers since it has changed as gaming has gone mainstream. 15 years ago: Intelligent, Social, Opinionated. Today: Flippant, Opinionated, Anonymous.

---1) The flippancy, or call it frivolousness. In online games, the disassociation from reality makes it easy to act immaturely without consequence. When 'gamers' give in to temptation to act immaturely, it dulls enjoyment for everyone else.
                ---2) The variety. There are so many choices today that it's hard to find another 'gamer' that has played exactly what you have. 20 years ago everyone you ran into started playing games the same way. It gave opportunity to bond and discuss shared experiences. Today you spend more time explaining the games you played than bonding over shared experiences. Interactions have less depth, and even less empathy.

Comment

Extremely diverse community that caters to any possible needs or wants.

I have been a gamer since I was five years old and I got my first GameBoy Color. So that's like what, 11 years?

Well, with real live taking over...5 or 6 hours.

FPS, RPG, Strategy,

Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Wii,

Battlefield Bad Company 2, Battlefield 2142, Civ V

Probably none.

40+

Nintendo 64

Yes

Yes, because of the social interaction.

Anonymous, Social, Competitive, Nonchalant,

1. Immaturity. As a girl, I can't tell you how many times playing on random servers or on Xbox live with a friend, that I have been harassed because I sound like a girl. Not a big deal, because I am a girl. But because of that when I'm not on TG, I just don't talk or engage socially.
                  2. Hacking, the "must win at all costs" attitude.

Comment

Huge, fast growing, and usually relentless subculture.
                    10+ years
                    Varies per week. Usually average 20-30
                    FPS, Action/Adventure, RPG
                    360, Nintendo DS...
                    (Past few months) BFBC2, Minecraft, Shogun 2
                    I rarely get burned - 1 a month, maybe.
                    100+ easily. PC being at least 70 titles...
                    NES
                    Yes
                    Depends on the game, but usually, yes.
                    Creative, competitive, imaginative, demanding, approachable.
                    Being "That Guy" and racism/bigotry
                    Skud

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...