Hardware design/engineer my carrer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware design/engineer my carrer?

Okay, so im currently only 17, and im still in high school (Ah isnt that cute, NO!) and i was thinking, my life as a kid is almost up, i need to start thinking about finding a job, or even better a carrer... But, what i want to get into isnt a easy thing to do. Id love to be a hardware engineer... I want to creat the next new graphics card, best motherboard...

Thing is i dont know where to start, the only thing im good at right now is, well playing games:icon37: and dodging work around the house:icon_cool I would like to find out how to start getting into this feild, ive always been around computers, and i mean always, i was born in a world of new technology... What good is it to have software/programers if the hardware is outdated...

Does any one know of anything that can help me get into this feild, the only thing about hardware design/engineer i know is how to peice a computer together... Oh ya, and im a math wizz, or so says the people around me, ill be taking AP Calc this coming school year.

My goals in the next 10 years.
    Get a degree in a needed feild to get into this area.
    Work for top Hardware companies Nvidia, ATi, Gigabyte, Asus, ect...
    Get payed to test my newest hardware on the newest games, cuz, u know, got to make sure it works...
    Oyee

Re: Hardware design/engineer my carrer?

For hardware work like that you would most likely want a Computer Science degree. It's good that you are good at math, because you'll need it... alot. A good portion of Computer Science degree's are math and programming (which, of course, includes a lot of math...).

Depending on what you go into, you might need some work in computer drafting etc, but probably not, most likely.... a LOT of math, and computer courses that teach you how to apply that math.

Comment

COmputer science i believe concentrates more upon software. Electrical engineering would be a good bet for this, and I am sure that Maths and Physics would be the two main subjects you will have needed to excel at to get this (although any background in electronics would help).

Comment

There is actually a new subset of electrical engineering called Computer Engineering.
        Many colleges are starting to split off actual degrees in CE now. You probably want to do some reasearching, but my guess is that this is the major you'd want to persue. It's basically EE with computer science classes.

It's not an easy degree, I have an associate degree in Electrical engineering, which is similar. Some of the basic first/second year classes you're required to take:
        Calculus I
        Calculus II
        Calculus III
        Differential Equations Calculus
        Physics I
        Physics II
        Chemistry I
        Chemistry II (some not all)

and that's just the stuff you take BEFORE you get to engineering specific classes. It's a very math heavy major, to be sure, but if you're good at, or enjoy math it's doable.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

i first started to get my Bachlors in CE but then relized i hated math and phyics so i changed to Computer Imformation Systems which is more programming and such, but you do take alot of math and physics for CE...i think i had to have 24credits of math and 18 credits of physics..not to mention all the electronic courses...
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Heh, i knew that was going to happen, aka the math... I already dipped my feet into Calc and Physics, so when i get back into it, ill at least know half of what everyone is talkin about.

Thanks for the help, now i know whats in store, CE sounds like what i want, ill look into it.
            Oyee

Comment

I recently graduated from the computer engineering program at the University of Waterloo. A few of my classmates had co-op jobs at nVidia; a few more at ATi. I presently work on embedded systems which includes some low-level software, some digital hardware (FPGA) and a little bit of analog circuits.

To get into hardware design you definately want to study computer or electrical engineering. At my school, computer engineering graduates would be best suited to design the functional elements of digital hardware (pipelines, arithmetic/logic, interconnects, etc.). For example, there is a course which was part of my core curriculum for which the lab involved designing a RISC processor. This course was an elective for the electrical engineers. Of couse, other schools will be different and some will only have electrical engineering with some of the material I studies as electives. Computer engineering is not electrical engineering with computer science courses. I'd describe computer engineering as electrical engineering with focus on computing machinery. Like I said, it can depend a fair bit on the school. Take a look at the curricula for the schools you are interested in.

Now there are other types of jobs that nVidia need to do such as VLSI which involves getting the functional design onto a piece of silicon in the best way possible. This is also a part of computer and electrical engineering.

To get to where you want to be you will have to be bright and hardworking. It's worth it though. People have asked if I'd take the same path if I could start over again from high school and I'm sure the answer is "yes".

I wouldn't get too focused designing processors for the likes of nVidia, Ati, Intel or IBM. These are huge companies with a mass-produced product so. To actually get a job with one of these companies where you fundamentally design they way their processors work would require the brightness and hard work I mentioned before times ten (and would probably involve a PhD). Not that you can't go do it, but once you start learning about this stuff you may see a lot more opportunities in areas you never thought of that could be more interesting and/or lucrative.

There's lots more I could tell you in response to your post but I'll let you ask more questions so I can get to what you want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per
                Okay, so im currently only 17, and im still in high school (Ah isnt that cute, NO!) and i was thinking, my life as a kid is almost up, i need to start thinking about finding a job, or even better a carrer... But, what i want to get into isnt a easy thing to do. Id love to be a hardware engineer... I want to creat the next new graphics card, best motherboard...

Thing is i dont know where to start, the only thing im good at right now is, well playing games:icon37: and dodging work around the house:icon_cool I would like to find out how to start getting into this feild, ive always been around computers, and i mean always, i was born in a world of new technology... What good is it to have software/programers if the hardware is outdated...

Does any one know of anything that can help me get into this feild, the only thing about hardware design/engineer i know is how to peice a computer together... Oh ya, and im a math wizz, or so says the people around me, ill be taking AP Calc this coming school year.

My goals in the next 10 years.
                Get a degree in a needed feild to get into this area.
                Work for top Hardware companies Nvidia, ATi, Gigabyte, Asus, ect...
                Get payed to test my newest hardware on the newest games, cuz, u know, got to make sure it works...
                We sound a lot alike. I have always wanted to pursue this field. I guess its kind of my dream...lol.
                I'm going into my sophomore year with a beefy schedule; AP Eng. 3, Pre-AP Pre-cal, AP chemistry, AP World History, well crap...that is going to suck, I still have to read a couple of books for my AP English class....
                I did some research a while back on this career: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos266.htm I hope that helps :/

Comment

Not to get down on all the AP classes and such, but they're...mostly worthless. The only AP class I took in HS was calculus. And I scooted through my freshman/sophmore year of college at about 3.7. Don't overwork yourself in HS, once you get accepted into your college of choice, it won't matter, at all. And unless you plan on going to a private (and very expensive) college, you're overworking yourself needlessly. Most of the better EE/CE colleges are public anyway.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                    Not to get down on all the AP classes and such, but they're...mostly worthless. The only AP class I took in HS was calculus. And I scooted through my freshman/sophmore year of college at about 3.7. Don't overwork yourself in HS, once you get accepted into your college of choice, it won't matter, at all. And unless you plan on going to a private (and very expensive) college, you're overworking yourself needlessly. Most of the better EE/CE colleges are public anyway.
                    I take AP classes because I make 100s in regular classes, the regular classes bore me. Last year I took regular world geography and got a 100/98 the whole year, The 98 was because of teacher idiocy. I think I have some undiagnosed form of ADD. Really the only class I thoroughly enjoy is orchestra; I am a sucker for music.

Comment

Thanks nick, that helps a lot, and Spyder does have a point, the AP classes are really for the better collages, im not going to one, so i dont really have to worrie about that. But just for teh record, im still takeing those classes, ive got the same problem, just reversed (lol) If i get bored i get into trouble, so i keep myself working as hard as i can with school so i dont get into trouble...
                      Oyee

Comment

Well good luck to both of you guys :) It's good that you know what you want to do!

All the best.

Comment

Black_V!per, for an awesome CS/CE program with heavy focus on math/physics and an insane workload check out DigiPen Institute of Technology. I'm currently a sophmore here (RTIS student) and while the effort required really is intense, the spirit, community, and quality of the place is astounding. =)

Note however that it is in Redmond, WA, just outside Seattle so it may be a long way from home. I'm originally from New Jersey and it was a factor that worried both me and my parents. I do miss being able to frequently visit home and see my family/friends but I have to say the program here is just totally worth it.

Bottom line: If you love math and want a serious CE degree then this might just be the best thing you ever looked into.

Whatever you choose, I offer my best wishes for your future. =)

p.s. They didn't pay me to post this, I swear! ;P
                          Combat is very simple, there is a first place and a second place. Second place is laying face down in the mud...sometimes, so is first place.
                          [age-c1]
                          [eng][air]

Comment

I was just accepted as a freshman to a CS college, but right now I am undeclared. I am still debating between CS, EE, or CE, so I will be taking as many requirements as possible to cover all three by the end of sophomore year so I can declare what I really want to do.

Remember this is also undergrad college - take as many courses in areas you never could see yourself in. Milk the college for all its worth, whatever you want to call it... there are always second chances. Just because you took a course you thought you would like and it sucked doesn't mean its a waste of time - now you *know* what you absolutely can't stand. To illustrate this, I will be taking poly sci/sociology courses, business courses, courses in literature, music, interpretive history, art/design. These are all areas which I have never excelled in, nor had an immediate draw to (except music). I am a mostly math/comp sci/physics kinda guy, but I am trying out all these things, because you really never know before you try it. I am not saying this is the right thing for you to do, but I encourage doing everything you can.

Once you are sure you can see yourself doing something for the rest of your career life....then you go to graduate college for it. And believe me when you find something you do love, you will excel at it, even if at first you aren't doing well - if you enjoy it stick with it.

I know a lot of this sounds pretty cliche and all, but it's just my thoughts and (partial) experiences.

P.S. Just make sure you have time to have fun, too...

Comment

As many above had already stated, Electrical or Computer Engineering would both facilitate your goals.

If you want to get into the hardcore stuff, ie designing processors, its going to take a graduate degree and many many years of experience.

Its good that you know what you would like to do, but realize that such goals are very long term and will most likely change. Hold on to your long term goals and adjust them as necessary, and in the mean time go to college, study hard, graduate, and get a job that you will most likely hate but cant quit because you need the experience.
                              Steam Community: | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X