Tactical OS Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical OS Update

Things have been quiet on the surface of the TacticalOS project, but things have been quite busy behind the scenes.

First: We have a forum that Root set up for us.

http://fyremoon.net/acebb/viewforum.php?f=8

This is going to be the location that we are all going to discuss the hows and why's of TacticalOS. Register and start posting your wishlist for the final product.

Second: The Wiki page is up.

http://www.tacticalwiki.com/index.ph...cal_OS_Project

There is no real difference between that and the blog right now, but that will change over time. The blog will become a developer's log, and a place for TacticalOS announcements.

http://www.tacticalblog.com/TGMateo/

Third: TacticalOS will be based off the SLAX project.

http://slax.linux-live.org/

The reasons for this are manifold, but basically comes down to flexibility. SLAX is modular, which means that various parts of the OS can be added,removed, or updated on the fly without compromising the overall OS.

Key applications are already available as modules, or can be generated from Slackware sources, so the system can be whatever we need it to be: hacker OS, gamer OS, media station....

Slax can also be remastered in XP, which is a huge time save.

Fourth: There will be 3 Versions of TacticalOS:

1. TacticalOS Basic Training

Basic Training is a fully rebranded and tweaked KDE desktop with Wine, Cedega CVS, Nvidia drivers, and Mono installed. It's designed for people who are steeped in the "Windows Start Button" paradigm. Root insisted on this, so blame him. :icon_bigg

2. TacticalOS Advanced Training

Advanced Training dispatches with KDE in favor of Afterstep/Windowmaker/XFCE, all of which can be made into a dead sexy desktop, are relatively intuitive, and free up resources for important things like gaming.

3. TacticalOS Special Forces

Special Forces does away with KDE and replaces it with Enlightenment .17.

http://www.get-e.org/Themes/E17/

Enlightenment is still under development, so that's why it's in the Special Forces branch. It gives up some stability in favor of more eye candy. *shrugs* This one I'm doing for fun, so if it never works, who cares?

That's it for now. I should have something for everyone to see over the next week or so.

-Mateo

Re: Tactical OS Update

sounds awesome if you need a tester or somemore graphics let me know i can help in that department if you need
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

So i should be able to play BF2 and HL2 with this right? Because if i can im sold. I dont really use anything else besides Firefox, and that already is supported by Linux, and ive already sunk my feet into Gaim, so i know how that works.

Ive tryed Wine before but wasnt able to get it to work with Suse...

Edit:
      Im probably going to use Training, but i wouldnt mind trying to use something else if stability is better with gaming.
      Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per
        So i should be able to play BF2 and HL2 with this right? Because if i can im sold. I dont really use anything else besides Firefox, and that already is supported by Linux, and ive already sunk my feet into Gaim, so i know how that works.

Ive tryed Wine before but wasnt able to get it to work with Suse...
        HL2 works with Cedega/WINE, with no issues that I know of. Actually, all STEAM games supposedly work. I think BF2 is not yet supported, but they are working on it.

As soon as I have the basic OS straightened out, I'll start game testing and tweaking.

Comment

Just as long as i get to play BF2 and NS with the occasional HL2 im fine...

One thing i love about Linux is the lack of viruses... I can ditch my Virus scanner, but Winamp doesnt work with it does it? Ive got Winamp Pro, but XMMS is okay i heard.
          Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per
            Just as long as i get to play BF2 and NS with the occasional HL2 im fine...

One thing i love about Linux is the lack of viruses... I can ditch my Virus scanner, but Winamp doesnt work with it does it? Ive got Winamp Pro, but XMMS is okay i heard.
            I'm going with beep media player (bmp), which is smaller, lighter, and more feature rich than xmms for basic playback, and amarock for something fuller featured.

Comment

i might have to dual boot my PC so i can try some of these things out....
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

I'm using Ubuntu as my training wheels (super easy to use). Any chances for gnome? I'll have to start reading up on slackware as I have no idea what that means.

Edit: VLC for media player all the way man.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin
                  Any chances for gnome?
                  Hmmm.....yeah, we can do that as well. Not all that difficult. :icon_bigg

Comment

I use Ubutnu, Come from Debian. Much better development community. I Game all on it. I haven't purchased BF2 yet but BF1942 worked great on it with Cedega/P2P. I also play WOW on it with cedega and HL. They all work great.
                    Kemotaha

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X