Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Tri-State TGers interested in going to fleet week NYC on May 27?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Tri-State TGers interested in going to fleet week NYC on May 27?

Fleet week NYC - www.fleetweeknewyork.com

It is back!! I went last year and went on the USS Iwo Jima (she is back this year along with the USS New York) and it was awesome. Got to go in a LAV, Abrams, the Osprey, CH-53, seahawk, sat in the pilot seat of a cobra, got to use the EOD bot and handled an M-16 with an acog scope - first time ever holding a rifle.

Let me know if you are interested, I am planning on going Friday late morning/early afternoon and would love to meet up with some fellow TGers. Last year I visited the battlefields of Gettysburg with Warlab so he can vouch for me that he didn't wake up with a headache not knowing where he was with his pants around his ankles.

The weather is iffy yes but seeing these machines up close and personal really makes you respect the men and women who are flying and being transported/using them.

Btw the hydra floaty craft thing was also there within the Iwo Jima - forgot the name.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Any Tri-State TGers interested in going to fleet week NYC on May 27?

Wish I lived closer to NY. :(

sigpic

Comment

If you look anything like your avatar I'm in. ;)
      I'm only about 4 hours from NYC if I leave during non-peak driving times... been there a few times because of work and fishing trips off Long Island. Will never go back there though. Too much traffic and too many people.
      Have had a chance to see the Intrepid which is docked in NYC. Amazed at the size of the ship and aircraft and that is a WW2 carrier. Can't fathem the size of a nuclear carrier.
      There is an air museum of sorts in Schenectady (30 minutes away) with a few retired aircraft like the A-6 Intruder. Just amazed that an aircraft that is larger then my home can make it off the ground with tonnes of payload.
      Then there is the newer fighter generation with VTOL like the F-35. That is a 50ft, 30 tonne aircraft that can take off vertically and go well over 1,000 MPH. Just mind blowing.
      Can't deal with the traffic and the gas/tolls would cost me half a weeks pay. :(

Next time the fleet comes up the Mohawk river and visits Gloversville I'll be sure to come. :)
      Love history and design but can't do it.
      Fear is the mother of all gods. Nature does all things spontainiosly by herself without their meddling.

Comment

I'm down Randy, send me a PM. I've been to the Intrepid twice, the USS Growler cruise missile sub alone is worth the trip. Fleet Week sounds awesome. I'm working Friday but could go in early, work a half-day and be in Manhattan by early afternoon. I'm also off this weekend, but can see how one would want to avoid going then as it will be more crowded.

Comment

Ended up meeting up with Matt aka Harlequin.

I was kind of dissapointed with the setup of fleet week this year as opposed to last year. Last year they were shuffling visitors onto the USS Iwo Jima like it was nobody's business, this year, not so much at all. Then for some reason they had a beatles cover band next to the intrepid, which further made the lines longer (why a beatles cover band who wasn't that good, I have no idea at all......).

Long story short, USS Iwo Jima line was 3hrs long. We didn't stand on it, but we went on the Intrepid and the USS Growler.

The USS New York, and some Frigates were stationed in Staten Island - this was probably happened for security reasons, but between all of you and me, was a poor choice, very poor choice, because anyone from the NY Metro area knows that if you don't have to go to Staten Island you don't and if you have to, you find a way not to.

All in all it was fun meeting up with a fellow TG'er, I always get a kick out of it.

I did get a chance to see a few Osprey's flying two over the East River on Friday, and 1 which was flying around the Long Island sound on Sunday - along with some SeaHawks, was very cool, especially with how low it was flying; once with rotor's at 3/4 way up, and once with rotor's facing forward.
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
          Level I HazMat Technician
          NYS EMT-B
          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

ahh fleet week, good times. think i spent around 800 dollars of everyone's money on food and alcohol. Dress Whites FTW!!!!!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...lskeithny.jpg/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X