No announcement yet.

Frozen Synapse (X-Com, Jagged Alliance, Rainbow 6 Planning, Uplink) Indie game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Synapse (X-Com, Jagged Alliance, Rainbow 6 Planning, Uplink) Indie game

Based on this:

I bought this:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/98200/

Its only available as 2-pack, so a copy is basically 10.-
    If the video review is any indication I should get weeks of fun out of this, as I loved all these old-school turn based squad strategy games. This one also comes with multiplayer, auto-generated levels and much more.

Official website: http://www.frozensynapse.com/

My first impressions:
    I played 4 SP missions and a few AI skirmishes. Still a lot to learn, but I think I might get the hang of it. It's a really enjoyable tactical game. Visual style reminds me of Defcon, story and cyberpunk setting reminds me of Syndicate and the tactical round based squad play with randomly generated levels reminds me of X-Com (UFO: Enemy Unknown). Three games I totally love a bit simplified and mixed into one great indie package.

MP is versus only, no coop afaik. I did not venture into MP yet. The servers are overloaded at the moment, but the team is working on getting it under control. You can play a few MP matches and switch between them so you don't have to wait for the other player to finish their turns.

The game features IRC chat built-in, so chatting with the community is only a click away. There is also integrated YouTube upload included, so you can put your favorite rounds online instantly (or record a round in Ogg Video format for later use). You are able to replay any MP match to learn from other players.

I tried to upload a video directly to YouTube to show you all how much I still suck at this game, but YouTube reports a "Upload failed (unable to convert video file)". I still have the Full-HD OGV file which I put here: www.dawolf.com/stuff/fs1.ogv (40mb). Green are my guys, red are the bad guys, yellow is friendly AI and civilians are blueish. I won with my last guy standing. The video runs for a few seconds, but I played 5 turns with a lot of planning and "what-ifs".

This is one helluva indie game. Absolutely my kind of style.
    former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Re: Frozen Synapse (X-Com, Jagged Alliance, Rainbow 6 Planning, Uplink) Indie game

Definately looks interesting. Been watching an LP of X-Com, so this is awesome.

I love how excited he gets mid-round.
    Skud

Comment

Re: Frozen Synapse (X-Com, Jagged Alliance, Rainbow 6 Planning, Uplink) Indie game

Actually looks like a lot of fun... Will need to look into this one, thanks for the heads up! ;p

Comment

Is multiplayer 1vs1 or is there also team based play?

Comment

This looks wicked fun. We should get a bunch of TG guys to play. Tactics to the max!
          sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Comment

bought.

name: teratoma

feel free to challenge :)

thanks for making this thread, I would have totally missed this game.

[edit] I'm on server texas3
            Last edited by teratoma; 05-30-2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure its only 1v1.

Comment

This game is amazing!

|TG-Irr|Icarus893
                sigpic

Comment

not perfect, needs a features upgrade, and the simulations arent alway accurate. But yes, really good

Comment

They only sell it in a two pack on steam, so make sure you have a friend!

Comment

Looks very interesting. Will definitly check it out.

PS: Hio fellow Austrian.
                      Calling yourself Michael Wittmann in WoT is about as creative as calling yourself Gimli in WoW. Still there are hundreds of them! I fear for humanity....

Comment

It's off 50% on Steam today!

Comment

PC Demo is out now and the game will be Steam weekend deal in a few hours!

https://twitter.com/#!/mode7games/st...64242830286848
                          Frozen Synapse, amazingly gorgeous hit indie tactical game, will be a Steam Weekend Deal starting at 10am Pacific Time today

Comment

Enjoyed the demo, however I don't think I'll play it enough to warrant paying 12 EUR for it and none of my friends are interested in buying it with me. If anyone still has the second copy from the sale and wants to exchange it for Humble Bundle #2 or half the sale price in cash via PayPal, please let me know.
                            The most dangerous thing on a battlefield is an officer with a map.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X