Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damion's back in action with a great release Vid for Dust 514.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damion's back in action with a great release Vid for Dust 514.

TG-30th Damion Rayne - Commanding Officer

Content Development Writer | Developer Relations Liaison

Re: Damion's back in action with a great release Vid for Dust 514.

And... what happens when PS4 hits in 2012 or whatever? Will console users even give a crap about integration with a PC game many of them probably have never even heard of?

Why consoles, CCP? Why a single console? Why?

Comment

Sony has made no plans for a new console. They've said multiple times, including at their most recent conference, that they intend on a 10 year life span for PS3.

Why NOT push consoles in a better direction? Integration with PC content is awesome - look at Portal 2 for PS3. Users tracked on STEAM like normal and were given Portal 2 on PC for free.

I'm not an EVE player, rather I've always maintained an interest in it. While I was a bit surprised at the exclusive deal with the PS3, it makes the most sense. PS3 seems to be the best candidate for an MMO FPS environment.
      Skud

Comment

10 years... man. That's a hell of a long time for a console.

Comment

I was a little said when they mentioned "consoles only" but figured it would at least give me a reason to use my $300 dollar dvd player (xbox360), for its actual intended purpose. I have no intention of buying a ps3 for one game. I understand what there trying to do, and I think its a new and cool feature, but in the long run I think its going to fail. Look at older fps on the consoles, they are ghost towns. I have a feeling this will only last till the next new big flashy fps comes along and everyone trades it in for the new game. Depending on how much they integrate it into even and sov warfare, can have a major negative impact on eve.

Comment

I'm saddened that its niot comming on PC. However, I think this was a big innovation and I say props to Sony for investing in this ! By isolating it to a signle console also makes sense because 360 & PS3 owners can't interact with each other which ruins a huge part of EVEs idea. PS3 + PC though CAN interact! soooo maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by johnflenaly View Post
              I was a little said when they mentioned "consoles only" but figured it would at least give me a reason to use my $300 dollar dvd player (xbox360), for its actual intended purpose. I have no intention of buying a ps3 for one game. I understand what there trying to do, and I think its a new and cool feature, but in the long run I think its going to fail. Look at older fps on the consoles, they are ghost towns. I have a feeling this will only last till the next new big flashy fps comes along and everyone trades it in for the new game. Depending on how much they integrate it into even and sov warfare, can have a major negative impact on eve.
              Key thing here. I was really worried about this too, but CCP have stated in interviews and the press release that this will be free to play/MT supported. i.e. Download from the PSN and get playing with no cost. That alone will get a good number of people to at least try it out. How many they retain? Dunno, but at least they are setting themselves up for success, rather than a $60 box or subscription model, which would result in a lot less people trying. Also, it's UE3 based, so if they have to port it, its not a (massively) big deal.
              Do or do not, there is no try....
              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

PS3 only.

Article here.

" Why no PC, though? "We don’t want to cannibalise our own player-base."

Comment

The PS3 only model makes sense when combining WBL's subscription costs and hinderence to updates/patches (for a price)

Comment

Rock Paper Shotgun had an interview with two producers from CCP, and. Well. Their justification for not having it on PC was pretty weak.
                    |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                    Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Weak? I don't think so. You have to understand the decision to go PS3 exclusive was made because Microsoft has way to many stringent rules on how they want patches, updates, and server communication to work. Basically they wanted to tell CCP how to do things and CCP said "No". And the "We want to get into the console market, show the eve Ip to more people and a different audience" is not a week justification.

Comment

I think its pretty weak, you've could have developed it for both platforms with out a problem. Speaking of ps3 and pc here, I understand microshaft might be giving them some headaches.

Comment

What part of: "WE DON'T WANT TO PUT IT ON PC" is hard to understand and or weak? It's a simple business model. We have 350k people paying so much money per month on the PC, those 350k people play the game that caters to them for very specific reasons. Let's put this on a console, where the console FPS caters to a much larger crowd, and could potentially sell many many copies at 50 bucks a pop.

Comment

It's understandable they don't want to divide their existing PC fanbase.

BTW I haven't seen any mention of pricing/retail. It may be free with a subscription attached? Who knows.
                            Skud

Comment

Originally posted by DamionRayne View Post
                              What part of: "WE DON'T WANT TO PUT IT ON PC" is hard to understand and or weak?
                              It's not hard to understand, but their justification for it is weak. In the RPS article I linked (which was what I was referring to) their argument was that MS were too restrictive so it had to be PS3 only. Then when PC was mentioned, they said that "But you already have EVE on the PC". Well, yes, we do indeed, but I don't want to play Eve, and nor do many other people.

It's a simple business model. We have 350k people paying so much money per month on the PC, those 350k people play the game that caters to them for very specific reasons. Let's put this on a console, where the console FPS caters to a much larger crowd, and could potentially sell many many copies at 50 bucks a pop.
                              Bu... but why not put it on console and PC? Loads of PC gamers already know about and are interested in the universe of Eve online, but don't want to play it. Something like Dust is ideal for those who don't have time/money for Eve, or simply don't like drop-down menus. As the writer of the Destructoid article that UnDeaD linked says:
                              "As someone who never intends to play EVE Online but would almost certainly enjoy Dust 514 on PC -- a sentiment I feel like many of you share -- that's unfortunate to hear."
                              |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                              Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X