Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of a game would you create?

Hi,

Iím Martin White and Iím from a team of game developers. We are creating a new rally game and would like to know what are the things that disturb you the most in nowadays racing games and what kind of games would you like to see in the future.
    We could then take that information under consideration and use it to create something, people actually want and like.

I can say that the game will be online and we are also trying to make it as social as possible.

I hope you have some thoughts to share :)

Martin

Re: What type of a game would you create?

The one thing that I have always disliked about Rally Sims is that I always seem to be the only car on the course. I would like to see a rally sim where I get to race against others (even in single player mode).

Comment

Try to strike a nice balance between realistic driving and fun driving. I want to be able to do nice saves in the corners and a few stunts but not necessarily jump of a 100m cliff and survive.

And be sure to add some dinosaurs.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by general_alvin View Post
        Try to strike a nice balance between realistic driving and fun driving. I want to be able to do nice saves in the corners and a few stunts but not necessarily jump of a 100m cliff and survive.

And be sure to add some dinosaurs.
        +1 to this (especially the dinosaurs, or maybe dragons?).
        Concentrate on making it fun, without being too unrealistic.
        Audio is important. If there's a co-driver/navigator, make sure they react to what's happening - crashes, jumps etc. Engine, gear change, tyre squeal, gravel/mud being kicked up all make interesting noises, and everyone who ever ran around going "vroom! neeaaaawwww!" when they were a child can attest to the importance of good audio.
        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
          +1 to this (especially the dinosaurs, or maybe dragons?).
          Concentrate on making it fun, without being too unrealistic.
          Audio is important. If there's a co-driver/navigator, make sure they react to what's happening - crashes, jumps etc. Engine, gear change, tyre squeal, gravel/mud being kicked up all make interesting noises, and everyone who ever ran around going "vroom! neeaaaawwww!" when they were a child can attest to the importance of good audio.
          "Watch that corner, man!"
          "Whoa!"
          "Slow down for the turn!"
          "Whoa!"
          "Jump incoming!"
          "Speed up!"
          "Slow down!"
          *quit*

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
            *snip
            That's not quite what I meant. Have you played Richard Burns Rally or any of the Colin McRae Rally games? The co-driver would give you directions such as "sharp left turn ahead" or "blind crest in 200m", and if you hit something he would call you rude names (as far as I remember). Not incessant whining, just enough to make it feel like there was actually someone next to you.
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Do not forget, realistic damage modeling. Nothing like slamming head-on into the side of a mountain and all you end up with, are 2 busted headlights.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback.

To GPSpector - we are planning on making it as social as possible. At this point we have developed AI cars which have been driven by other drivers online. The idea is that when you join our game, you can race with the AI cars which are actually ghost cars of people who have played our game before... so you basically race with another person. We are also planning on developing a full multiplayer system afterwards.

FUn is certainly something we want to add to the game but the comment about dragons and dinosaurs caused a little fuss in our agency. We actually thought, what would happen if there really were some dionsaurs popping out or crossing the roads in panic at a totally random place... would that be too random or would it add some oomph to the game?

Westyfield, thanks for the useful comments... we got lot's of new material to think about.

If you have any other ideas then please share and again, thanks :)

Martin

Comment

Regarding Dino's in the game, I guess if there were full scale Dino statues that you could drive under, if one of the courses were at a Dino theme park. That would make there presents believable.

Comment

Hi

Sorry I couldn't write you sooner, we've been really busy.

We run into some problems turning our originally planned game into a fully 3D simulatior and also did a fair bit of market research to find what works most at nowadays racing games.

I can't thank you enough for all the information you have given me. All of it is in our database and we are going to use it in the future to update our game to full 3D.

At this point our game will be partly 3D and partly "GTA style". And it will be a street rally game at first. We will also concentrate on the social factor hoping that it will be one of the nieches. I'll soon be able to show you the beta testing version.

I hope that you're not dissapointed by these news and I hope that I am still connected to this community when we start modifiying it further to realize all of the suggestions given by you.

We have opened the beta testing of our current game... if you have time then feel free to try it out and I'd be really greateful for any kind of feedback.

Game itself is here: http://apps.facebook.com/streetdev/

Cheers,

Martin White

Comment

Hi everyone

I havent' contacted you for a while, we've been really busy with developing StreetRally.

I just wanted to inform you that we took the development to a higher level by creating a multiplayer feature. it is still in testing but will be able soon.

I hope that the game itself isn't a disappointment for you all and that you found something you liked about it.

Does anyone have any comments?

Cheers,

Martin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse