Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working/studying in the US

Hello fellow TGs

For some years now I have been thinking of going to the US for an extended period of time to study or work.
    I realized that I have no idea how to go about it, I have a general idea of when it would be suitable for me to do it, but that is about it.

As an adult my opportunities are limited since I think it would be hard to land a scholarship (the most popular option I think).
    I have 4+ years of working experience and I have been studying at a university for four years.

So I was hoping that you could give me some advice or share your experiences. I realize that I am asking this on a forum where most of you are american, but maybe you give me some pointers just the same.

I'm thinking about going in 2013 when I am done with my education.

This fall I will check with the university for information on becoming an exchange student, but I would rather get a job of some sort.

thanks in advance.
    "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Re: Working/studying in the US

Originally posted by Lien View Post
    Hello fellow TGs

For some years now I have been thinking of going to the US for an extended period of time to study or work.
    I realized that I have no idea how to go about it, I have a general idea of when it would be suitable for me to do it, but that is about it.

As an adult my opportunities are limited since I think it would be hard to land a scholarship (the most popular option I think).
    I have 4+ years of working experience and I have been studying at a university for four years.

So I was hoping that you could give me some advice or share your experiences. I realize that I am asking this on a forum where most of you are american, but maybe you give me some pointers just the same.

I'm thinking about going in 2013 when I am done with my education.

This fall I will check with the university for information on becoming an exchange student, but I would rather get a job of some sort.

thanks in advance.
    Well I had two choices, either study in Holland or the states. I chose Holland for various reasons. Reasons are as followed.

In the U.S. universities are incredibly overpriced. I have a good friend that is going to nova southeastern in FLA that pays 30K per semester. You'de be crazy to wanna pay that much to go to school. As a student even if you want to work you have to wait 2 or 3 years I think to get a working visa so you can actually work. So if your goal is to go work its gonna take a while as a student.

Ultimately I chose europe because of its cheaper universities and because I am from an island that's part of the dutch kingdom so I can speak dutch and have various perks that other international students dont have, such as a dutch passport, not having to pass any immigration or any thing of the sort. Also being in europe broadens my horizons. I can go anywhere I want basically with a car or by train. various cultures and religions are of great quantity here. And me being a political science student it's good to know different cultures, languages and religions.

I have to say also that I am planning on going to work for the UN in new york with dutch diplomats later after my studies. So I am also probably gonna be there. plus I wanna go catch more yankees games :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
      Well I had two choices, either study in Holland or the states. I chose Holland for various reasons. Reasons are as followed.

In the U.S. universities are incredibly overpriced. I have a good friend that is going to nova southeastern in FLA that pays 30K per semester. You'de be crazy to wanna pay that much to go to school. As a student even if you want to work you have to wait 2 or 3 years I think to get a working visa so you can actually work. So if your goal is to go work its gonna take a while as a student.

Ultimately I chose europe because of its cheaper universities and because I am from an island that's part of the dutch kingdom so I can speak dutch and have various perks that other international students dont have, such as a dutch passport, not having to pass any immigration or any thing of the sort. Also being in europe broadens my horizons. I can go anywhere I want basically with a car or by train. various cultures and religions are of great quantity here. And me being a political science student it's good to know different cultures, languages and religions.

I have to say also that I am planning on going to work for the UN in new york with dutch diplomats later after my studies. So I am also probably gonna be there. plus I wanna go catch more yankees games :)
      Thanks for replying

Holland is great, I was there last summer visiting a friend in Amsterdam.
      Yes the fees are extreme in the US and I could only dream of paying 30k per semester. If i could get into the exchange student program it would be paid for and I would only have to get a student loan for living expences, sadly more and more of these programs are shutting down this option for people above 20 years old.

I get what you are saying about Europe, but since I live in the European Union already I want to take in the vibe from a non-european country. I could go for Canada aswell.

Another reason for me wanting to go to the US is that I "know" the language and want to improve my pronounciation etc.

2-3 years for a working visa, that is a long time :) I will look into it.

Again thanks for replying and good luck in New York.

Comment

Also, dont get too wrapped up in the cost. Not all of the universities are like that price-wise. Nova Southeastern is a private university and is a branch of Nova university which generally caters to working adults who never went to college. These tend to be much more expensive (my dad used to be the campus manager for Northwood University in tampa, which did the same thing). Public universities, like the University of Florida for example, are going to be much more inexpensive. Hell, when I was an undergrad, I went to the University of Colorado as an out of state student (which is the same thing you'd pay. anyone NOT from colorado pays it, regardless of where outside of colorado you're from) and my highest semester bill was 16k, but that included room and board (which was about 8k a semester) and medical insurance through the school (which was about 2.5k per semester).

Also, landing scholarships really isnt that hard. Theres more scholarships available than you can shake a stick at. I have a few friends who paid their entire way through college on scholarships and had enough to spare that they spent the remaining scholarship money on rent/food/beer/etc. It just requires writing a crapload of essays.

However, I did notice something missing from your query Lien: what are you studying? A little more background information on what you're studying or what you want to do might help people give you a better feel as to where in the states to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
          Also, dont get too wrapped up in the cost. Not all of the universities are like that price-wise. Nova Southeastern is a private university and is a branch of Nova university which generally caters to working adults who never went to college.
          Yes these unis tend to be more expensive however the few times i went to nova i saw no working adults, only people my age. same goes for northeastern.

You could also check univeristy of miami in coral gables, miami. I think that is much cheaper than most. Although if you go to miami you'll probably be practicing your spanish more than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
            Yes these unis tend to be more expensive however the few times i went to nova i saw no working adults, only people my age. same goes for northeastern.
            If you went to Northwood's main campus, or University of Phoenix's main campus, you'd see the same thing (i.e. kids). Doesnt mean that the other 2000 campuses across the country dont cater almost exclusively to working adults and have the exact same tuition rates.

You could also check univeristy of miami in coral gables, miami. I think that is much cheaper than most. Although if you go to miami you'll probably be practicing your spanish more than anything else.
            Bad idea. University of Miami is a private university. Tuition is gargantuan. I have friends and relatives who went there (I grew up in florida). If you're looking at Florida at all for schools, check the following:
            University of Florida, Florida State University, University of South Florida (ironically, its not in south florida, it's in Tampa), University of Central Florida. Those are the four big public universities.

However, unless you have a specific yen to see what a sunburn is really capable of, love insufferable and opressive year round heat, humidity and mosquitoes, I'd recommend somewhere OTHER than florida for school/work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
              Also, dont get too wrapped up in the cost. Not all of the universities are like that price-wise. Nova Southeastern is a private university and is a branch of Nova university which generally caters to working adults who never went to college. These tend to be much more expensive (my dad used to be the campus manager for Northwood University in tampa, which did the same thing). Public universities, like the University of Florida for example, are going to be much more inexpensive. Hell, when I was an undergrad, I went to the University of Colorado as an out of state student (which is the same thing you'd pay. anyone NOT from colorado pays it, regardless of where outside of colorado you're from) and my highest semester bill was 16k, but that included room and board (which was about 8k a semester) and medical insurance through the school (which was about 2.5k per semester).

Also, landing scholarships really isnt that hard. Theres more scholarships available than you can shake a stick at. I have a few friends who paid their entire way through college on scholarships and had enough to spare that they spent the remaining scholarship money on rent/food/beer/etc. It just requires writing a crapload of essays.

However, I did notice something missing from your query Lien: what are you studying? A little more background information on what you're studying or what you want to do might help people give you a better feel as to where in the states to go.
              Thank you for breaking down the cost into what you actually recieve.
              I did not know that the room was included or insurance for that matter, now it does not sound so bad. I do not really care either way with regards to public or private schools so if it is cheaper with public ones I'll go for those.
              I will definitely look more into the scholarships here on my end, but also over there. I will also start writing some essays.

Here is some background info (thanks for pointing that out).

I'm currently stydying to become a teacher in Social sciences and English (upper secondary school level). I am mostly focused on politics and culture. So coming to the United States would be beneficial to me in more ways than one. It might seem a little crazy to want to study after completing a five year education, but I think that it would be a good experience and help me get more interesting teaching jobs. Perhaps internationally.

As I stated before I am also interested in getting a job. I have three years worth of experience working in retail, selling electronics. The past year I have helped my brother run a store. These four years has given me a deeper understanding of business and has made me interested in economics.

I have been interested in living in the US since I was 16 (I attended a school program which had all its classes in english).
              The swedish society is heavily influenced by american ideals, mostly through entertainment, but also politics to some degree.
              I just want to see the american society and culture for myself.
              So it boils down to curiosity and a chance to live in another country, try something new.

Comment

Thanks kwalc and Ferris for your suggestions!

I think I will have to think twice about Miami, I burn pretty easily and I don't know much spanish :)

Comment

Massachusetts is good for schools, but my guess is as an international student you would get gouged on tuition. Do you know any specific schools you're interested in? If you can narrow it down to a few and focus on those you could probably do pretty well with scholarships etc. It seems your looking at the liberal arts end of the spectrum and there are tons of those around here.

Another perk, given the drinking age here, you'd probably make a killing overcharging kids for booze. :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X