Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy game suggestions?

Hey guys,

Me and my friends get together once and a while and have LAN parties, however we tend to avoid SC1 because when 6 of us play it can get drawn out (1-1&1/2 hours!) and people get bored and/or rage quit.

I don't have much knowledge on RTS games, I only really play SC 1 and 2. The thing I'd like to ask is if there are any RTS games that can accommodate ~5/6 ppl and last at most 45min-1hour per match, and don't really require a huge time investment to understand well. I don't know if any exist but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My friends aren't fans of DOTA type games so that goes out the window lol.

Thanks in advance!
    Wes
    2142: |TG| BullyBoyBilly
    BC2: |TG| Wesb2
    BF3: Wesb23

Re: Strategy game suggestions?

World in Conflict is a neat RTS game, set in modern times you choose a role (air, infantry, armor, or support) which gives you excess to certain units and special abilities, its a good team game and easy to pick up and play.

Dawn of War II is a good game, similar to SC2 but with less base building and more unit focus. Its pretty straight forward to pick up though it has a lot of depth for strategies (ie if you all are new at it it will be fine but experience will make a big difference). Dawn of War I has a bit more base building focus, so you might like that better if you are used to starcraft.

The only other RTS I can think of that I've personally played is Mechcommander I and II, they are fun to play multiplayer if you are familar with the battletech universe and/or like giant robots. Its a bit dated in graphics but on the plus side its been released as freeware so at least it doesn't cost you anything (though there is a bug where you need to delete two files that check for video cards or else it slows the game down to an unplayable state)

Comment

World in Conflict is great, less strategy and more tactics - you don't build a base or gather resources, you are given a set amount of money to spend on units. When they die, you get refunded the money over a few minutes, so you can either buy a few cheap units to get back in the battle quickly, or wait until all your money is back and buy some beefy tanks. It's set in the 1980s, with the USSR vs. NATO and the US military.

Company of Heroes is pretty good, it's a more traditional RTS set in WW2. The infantry mechanics are quite nice, suppression and cover are all factored in when dealing with infantry.

Supreme Commander 1 + Forged Alliance is superb, but will likely last more than an hour with 6 players. It's a ridiculously large scale futuristic RTS where you send literally thousands of robots to their deaths in multi-front, combined arms battles over maps as large as 80*80km. It can take a while to learn how to play, as the economy and technology levels (1, 2, 3, experimental) are fairly complex. Really good fun though.
      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Men of War & Men of War: Assault Squad

WWII genre.
        No base building.
        Players battle over a map with different selectable end game mechanics. How long rounds last depends on the setup.

Comment

World in Conflict
          Company of heroes is a great unit based WWII stragety game, and theres a base for it in TG.
          Supreme Commander + FA is also great if you have adecent rigs to run on, if you have an old computer without a multi-core processor, don't bother.

Sins of a Solar empire is a massive space stragety game, but the games can drag on for hours.
          |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

dont forget about the total war games, or c&c and red alert games are fun. also an old space game that was an rts still runs on windows 7 and its homeworld 2..

Comment

Wow thanks guys! I'll definitely try these out, thanks for the recommendations :)

Wes
              2142: |TG| BullyBoyBilly
              BC2: |TG| Wesb2
              BF3: Wesb23

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed