Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill S.978

"OpenCongress Summary
    Makes unauthorized web streaming of copyrighted content a felony with a possible penalty of up to 5 years in prison. Illegal streaming of copyrighted content is defined in the bill as an offense that "consists of 10 or more public performances by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works" and has a total economic value, either to the copyright holder or the infringer, of at least $2,500."

This is bad for us, really bad,

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s978/show - There are 47 companies supporting this bill, and 3 opposing, the bill if passed into law will make it a felony to post video game let's plays, reviews, and speed runs and will make it a felony for us to do things like this. If this bill passes every video game chan on youtube will up and go away.

TG-30th Damion Rayne - Commanding Officer

Content Development Writer | Developer Relations Liaison

Re: Bill S.978

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...?bill=s112-978

The full bill for you to read.

http://act.demandprogress.org/letter...hVZPC&rd=1&t=1 - go fill this form out and stand up against this bill!

TG-30th Damion Rayne - Commanding Officer

Content Development Writer | Developer Relations Liaison

Comment

Does it seem that the MPAA RIAA lobbyists get a bit more attention then say..the National Debt? I, for one, think that any bill that effects the Nation, and not a local or State law, should be voted on Nationally. The practicality of this is difficult, but with technology we should be able to vote on stuff like this. I don't want a few senators from CA legislating for all of us. Or for any other "REGIONAL ISSUE" for that matter. And this stuff will slip though.... Grrr..
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

This is just insane. I signed the form, but i just hope it does not pass.
        sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Comment

Letters to congressmen sent.
          The Old Guy
          kin3
          sigpic

Comment

Great. Goodbye internet, hello RIAA-controlled-freedom!
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Techdirt
              We've been talking a lot about Senate bill S.978, from Senators Amy Klobuchar, John Cornyn and Christopher Coons, which would adjust the criminal copyright statutes to make some forms of linking/embedding/streaming a felony for which people could face 5 years in jail. As we've noted from the beginning, the really scary part is the ignorance of people supporting this bill, in ignoring how it could make tons of people liable...

Tragically, going through a bunch of the videos... nearly all of them gets the facts wrong in some manner (sometimes getting nearly all the details wrong). I worry about that, because it allows politicians to brush aside the very real concerns about the unintended consequences of the bill. Also, some of the incorrect statements seem to lead to people saying that the bill won't pass because "something that stupid can't pass." And, indeed, no bill is going to pass that will force all these people to take their videos down or to fine them for old videos as some have suggested. The risk is in how the bill could be used by federal prosecutors to go after people embedding certain videos, and then using the letter of the law (though clearly not the spirit) to go after people.
              Read the full article here

Unfortunately, my senator is one of the co-sponsors of the bill. I sent off a lengthy e-mail to him yesterday and will be working on another one tonight to touch on some other issues as well. If you're going to write your senators, make sure that you're focusing on the ACTUAL risk that would be introduced if this bill passes and not just the FUD you see on YouTube.

If you're worried about the political future of the Internet and technology in general. Make sure you add Techdirt.com to your RSS reader or bookmarks. It's a fantastic site that deals with these issues in a very thorough manner with actual facts rather than corporate spin from the RIAA/MPAA.
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Here's another good bit of legal info regarding S.978;

Originally posted by David Philip Graham
                RESPONSE TO RESPONSES TO TOLLING THE STREAM

DAVID | JUNE 30, 2011 AT 4:03 PM
                I'm really happy to see such a strong response to my article "Tolling the Stream" about Senate bill 978. If we're going to do anything about the bill, we have to create as much public awareness of it as possible. Thanks for spreading the word!

As often happens in the law, though, some people have disagreed with or had questions about my interpretation of the law. That's awesome, it means people are paying enough attention to this legislation that they're engaging with the text itself.
                David is an attorney for DPG at Law, and a video game enthusiast. DPG focuses on legal and business concerns surrounding the entertainment and video game industries. I could consider this a pretty good source for the actual legal implications of S.978.

Originally posted by David Philip Graham
                So if the copyright owner feels like your 10 or more streams or uploaded videos over the course of 180 days are worth more than $2,500, you're boned. And it's hard to know how much the fair market value of a license to stream tournament footage is because that kind of license is so very rarely granted by most companies, but it has a huge range. I know one video game company that sometimes licenses the public performance right for free, but I know another that has asked for orders of magnitude more than $5k. The copyright holder has a strong input on the boundaries of what is illegal here. If it's able to ask a fair market price for a performance license of more than $5,000, then you're breaking the law.
                I think these comments are the ones that concern me the most. It sounds as though a copyright holder could take 15 seconds of streamed video from a game, claim that the license fee for said stream would be $5,000, and have the ability to force criminal charges against you as a result. The water is just too murky here.

You can read David's full comments here.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I understand that this is obviously an American bill, what affects might this have for Canada and the rest of the world? Would people outside of the US be prosecuted through our own government for such a thing? I don't see it being worth the whole jurisdiction stuff, but Id like to know regardless.
                  sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
                    I understand that this is obviously an American bill, what affects might this have for Canada and the rest of the world? Would people outside of the US be prosecuted through our own government for such a thing? I don't see it being worth the whole jurisdiction stuff, but Id like to know regardless.
                    I highly doubt it seeing that the bill is for and from the U.S. congress. But idk, I got no clue about politics haha.
                    sigpic

Proud to have been an Irregular, HeadHunter, and a Siege Corps Engineers!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X