Wait, WHAT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait, WHAT?

Trees grow out of the air [not the dirt], and sunlight is stored in wood????

[start at 1:50]

(via reddit)

Re: Wait, WHAT?

He certainly takes some poetic license, but I don't see anything wrong with what he says. Plants absorb CO2 and retain the carbon and release the oxygen. The water the plant uses usually comes from rain and the energy that powers photosynthesis comes from the sun. So you can see why he says that the plant grows from the air.

As for the sunlight stored in the wood. The plant takes the sunlight and uses that energy to grow. So you can look at it like its taking the energy and storing it in the wood as potential energy. Then when you burn the wood, the potential energy is released as light and heat. Heat and light go in, heat and light come out.

The guy reminds me of some of the more eccentric professors I had back in college.

Comment

My Brain is itchy. ;)

Comment

That was great, makes perfect sense to me, even though I never thought of it this way. One of my hobbies is separating the Hydrogen out of the H2O molecule, which i can then use as a very efficient fuel. Hydrogen burns incredibly hotter and faster than any other fuel, and leaves water as the byproduct, like ash from a normal, carbon based fuel fire. Someday I WILL have a self sustaining electrical generator running on Hydrogen. :)

Comment

Basically what shellfishguy said. The carbon from the carbon dioxide in the air is used, along with minerals and water from the ground (the water mostly got into the ground from rain) to make wood. The energy for that comes from sunlight. Since energy and mass are the same thing (this is explained far better than I could here), you can say that some of the mass of the wood is actually sunlight. So when you burn the wood and get energy (heat and light), that's partly the sunlight which went into making the wood.
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X