What are you thinking, Netflix?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you thinking, Netflix?!

So Netflix just e-mailed me about their new pricing structure. I'm currently on the 3-disc + streaming plan for $23.99/month. They said they're splitting up the 2 services for all subscribers, thus $7.99 for streaming only + $19.99 for my disc service. Thankfully, it's only a $4/month increase for me, but it's really going to drive off the 1-disc+streaming subscribers, as it's about a 50% price increase for them.

What the heck are they thinking? Especially as they're battling off Redbox at the same time! Not cool, Netflix. Not cool.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: What are you thinking, Netflix?!

I read an article where Netflix's current licensing agreements with various studios is almost up. At the time these agreements were made Netflix was not streaming much. With the huge increase in their customer base because of the streaming aspect the studios have indicated that they are going to demand higher licensing fees.

From CNN Money:

"Studios are starting to put their foot down," says ThinkEquity senior analyst Atul Bagga. "They weren't paying attention to streaming at all, but now they see an opportunity to monetize. And they're going to take it."

That's a big threat to Netflix. On the other hand, the company has the money and motivation to spend more to keep its rapidly growing subscriber base happy.

"The cost of content is going to go up, no doubt about it," Bagga says. "It's going to come down to who has the ability and the willingness to write big checks. Netflix is probably the one to do it."

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/08/tech...tarz_contract/

I don't condone what Netflix is doing, but this may be the reason why.

Comment

True. It makes sense from a business perspective, BUT we just have indications that the studioes are going to hike fees. We haven't seen evidence that a rate hike has already occurred. It would seem to me that Netflix should keep focusing on gaining more subscribers BEFORE a pre-emptive rate hike due to indications.

Comment

As a Netflix subscriber, I'm not please as I use both services. And while I understand the business motivations and etc., I'm still not too happy. I'm going to think, as a 1 DVD + Streaming subscriber what content I want to keep if any.

Comment

Interesting, because not long ago (Late last year?) Netflix increased my streaming plan from 7.99 to... 9.99? Now it's going back... down?

Sorry to those of you who use the DVD service... Screwed up that they're ripping you off. I hope you all consider the cheaper Streaming. I got it primarily for my Xbox, but now use it on my computer as well.
          Skud

Comment

They are going to drive off some customers no doubt.

As a streaming only customer I'd pay more money per month if they added more streaming content. Streaming users get boned because while they do have a good amount available for streaming its still limited and rotates out.

Sent from my EVO

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
              As a streaming only customer I'd pay more money per month if they added more streaming content. Streaming users get boned because while they do have a good amount available for streaming its still limited and rotates out.
              Exactly. I had a ton of movies on my instant queue (like 50 or so), that have been pulled, and are now in my "saved" queue. What a bunch of crap. I really didn't mind their streaming services, as it was just a package deal for the same price, but if they want full price for streaming, they better start hustling with getting their entire dvd collection ported over for streaming...and permanently.

Also, while streaming is cool and all, it's not without it's problems. It's usually a great experience, but sometimes Netflix has server outtages (last Sunday evening for several hours!), sometimes my internet connection isn't so hot, and sometimes I go to watch a movie I had in my instant queue, and it's no longer there (moved to saved queue).

Comment

Saw this today - had to post it.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/15b...der?rel=player
                |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I have to say that I even forget I have the DVD option.. It's truly Streaming or nothing for me (or Newgroups.. But thats a different matter)...
                  |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                  ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

LOL! Nice Find Mantis!
                    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I've read rumors that, aside from the licensing fee hikes, Netflix wants to move people away from DVDs to the much cheaper-to-provide Streaming service. Unfortunately their Streaming selection is very limited compared to their DVD selection. However if Netflix could get their Streaming library to be comparable to the DVD library I would cancel my DVD subscription in an instant. Aside from just being much more convenient, the Streaming movies also cut out all the trailers, FBI warnings and so on that crap up DVDs.
                      TrippyD (BF2142)

Jayton Mulo (Eve-TGULT)

Comment

Originally posted by TrippyD View Post
                        I've read rumors that, aside from the licensing fee hikes, Netflix wants to move people away from DVDs to the much cheaper-to-provide Streaming service. Unfortunately their Streaming selection is very limited compared to their DVD selection. However if Netflix could get their Streaming library to be comparable to the DVD library I would cancel my DVD subscription in an instant. Aside from just being much more convenient, the Streaming movies also cut out all the trailers, FBI warnings and so on that crap up DVDs.
                        Same. But until the streaming library reaches the DVDs...can't really get rid of it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X