Any Arachnologists out there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Arachnologists out there?

On my recent trip to the Manistee National Forrest in Michigan, I came across a spider that I can't seem to identify. I have done numerous google web (heh) and image searches and haven't found any concrete information concerning it. So far, the closest types are: a black and yellow Argiope (Argiope aurantia), a mostly harmless garden spider and a male Northern Black Widow (Latrodectus variolus), which is considered a dangerous spider.

Here is the raw image:

Here is a zoomed image:

Any ideas?

sigpic

Re: Any Arachnologists out there?

Black Widows are in Michigan and that looks pretty close to a male (or juvenile).

Comment

Male black widow judging
      By the small abdomen and color

Comment

I agree that it looks pretty close to the image of a male black widow but, I have one problem that causes me to hesitate. The image of the male in the link above, has a distinctly round, pea shaped abdomen whereas the spider in my image seems to have an elongated abdomen. Also, the coloring and pattern looks different. The lengths of the first two sets of legs seems to match though.

I'm 99.99% positive it is not a black and yellow Argiope because of a couple things. First, the black and yellow Argiope has a hairy, white/gray looking thorax (?) and second, the length of the first two sets of legs is roughly equal.

I just want to be sure what kind of spider it is because of something I read about the Black Widows habitat:

Originally posted by Michigan State University
        In Michigan, they appear to be more common in the western Lower Peninsula. Outdoors, they are found in old stumps, hollow logs, under fallen fence posts, in abandoned animal burrows or piles of brush, and in the corners of sheds and crawlspaces.
        I can't find the article again but, I did read that they also inhabit wood piles and outhouses. This is of concern to me because we have a good sized wood pile and an outhouse at the cabin. With possibly having these spiders in the woodpile, I can mitigate the chances of getting bitten by wearing gloves. But, how do I protect my <ahem> unprotected rear cheeks (or, heaven forbid, my man parts) when I am using the outhouse? It also doesn't help matters that I am borderline arachnophobic. ie. I won't run screaming from a spider.. but I will walk away at a brisk pace while muttering incoherently.

Thanks for chiming in, Flarfignuggen and chowdollas!

sigpic

Comment

You can place him/her in a jar and take it to the nearest museum or a university for advice?

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
            You can place him/her in a jar and take it to the nearest museum or a university for advice?
            If I see another one on my next trip (hopefully this coming Friday), I will most definitely do so! Thanks for the advice!

sigpic

Comment

As far as outhouse using, I know from a Boy Scout friend of mine who spend the summer working at Philmont, there is a method to check the rim of the seat and just beneath for spiders but I don't remember the details. If you are interested I can find out more!

Comment

Beat, my city bred backside could use all the info it can get!

When I was there last, we doused the entire outhouse with Ortho Home Defense MAX. After reading up on that product, I find that it does not kill black widows or brown recluse spiders.. I checked out Raid's website and found Raid Max Spider and Scorpion Killer and it specifically states that it kills black widows on contact. Good enough for me.

I am still interested in getting a positive ID on the spider though. If anyone knows an Arachnologist or Entomologist, could you have them look at the images I took?

p.s. I am aware that since I am a healthy adult male, the likelihood of dying from a black widow bite is minuscule for me. But, the bites can be quite painful, from what I have read, and medical help is at least an hour away from the cabin. I'm just trying to cover all the bases so that I can enjoy the great outdoors.

sigpic

Comment

Doesn't look like a black widow to me, body is too long and skinny, but i'm no expert. How strong is the web? Around here, black widows are common, and the web is distinctly strong. In fact, I they used to make crosshairs on different sights from black widow silk (may still do so don't know).
                  sigpic

Comment

I discovered the spider hanging out on the door of my neighbors truck. There was no web in sight.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
                      I discovered the spider hanging out on the door of my neighbors truck. There was no web in sight.
                      How the hell did you grow up a city boy in Michigan......you come north and ol' Ven will turn you into a survivalist :D
                      "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I found a ton of black widows last summer when I tried to clean out my shed (At least 10 were out to kill me). Didn't even know they could be up here in Michigan, let alone urban Ann Arbor. Looked for the hourglass and there it was.

My shed is still a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                          How the hell did you grow up a city boy in Michigan......you come north and ol' Ven will turn you into a survivalist :D
                          Hehe, I spent some time in the country.. It's just that most of the time, I was in a car looking out the window as we traveled to the next city. And as for your offer to turn me into a survivalist... it doesn't involve you saying, "SQUEAL!", does it?

Originally posted by Fox_J21 View Post
                          I found a ton of black widows last summer when I tried to clean out my shed (At least 10 were out to kill me). Didn't even know they could be up here in Michigan, let alone urban Ann Arbor. Looked for the hourglass and there it was.

My shed is still a mess.
                          From what I have read recently, the northern black widow has become common in the western lower peninsula. Kind of scary that they have made it all the way to Ann Arbor, although I have seen at least one here in Jackson. I turned it into a greasy streak on my garage floor.

You might check out Raid Max Spider spray I linked to in a previous post. It claims to kill black widows.

sigpic

Comment

These are the only Black Widows I've ever seen around here in Texas. One of the creepiest looking spiders I've ever seen.
                            Attached Files

Comment

You've probably seen the male one like that but didn't realize it. They are pretty common.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X