Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me identify some wildlife (GIANT IMAGES!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me identify some wildlife (GIANT IMAGES!)

While I was up in the Manistee National Forrest on a fishing trip recently, I came across a couple of animals I'm having a hard time identifying. I was wondering if we have any rugged, outdoorsy types (or pampered, indoorsy would work too!) that could help me identify a fish and a bird.

Here is a pic of the fish:

I've been told that it could be a lake trout, a steelhead, a CoHo salmon, or a king salmon. Personally, I think it looks like a freaking dinosaur! As you can see in the enlarged image, the fish is between 34 and 35 inches in length. As for weight, we only had a 16 lb fish scale with us and when we hung the fish from it.. the scale exploded. If I had to venture a guess, I would say around 25-30 lbs. Any clues?

Here's the bird:

Sorry for the quality of the pic.. the lighting wasn't spectacular and I was in a slowly moving vehicle.

I don't have many details on the bird. Black neck and head, with a gray body. The body looks white in the pic because the sun was shining directly on it.. trust me, it was gray. It was pretty big, probably in the 3-4 foot tall range (if not a little more) and seemed pretty solid or stocky even. A close friend asked if it was a Canada Goose and I don't think it is, seeing as it's missing the distinctive white chinstrap and it's body color was gray instead of mottled brown.

Any help in solving these minor mysteries would be greatly appreciated and will result in some +rep.

Thanks!

sigpic

The fish is deffinetly in the salmon family. The pic is hard to see but it looks like a coho from an inland water source as they are usually very dark. Laketrout have different markings but they are a darker skinned fish as well.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Re: Help me identify some wildlife (GIANT IMAGES!)

Really hard to tell what the bird is with that picture...the only things I can find that fits the description and picture is a Black Brent

MorrisBrentG.jpg

Comment

Based on the shape of its neck and head, as well as the size of its body, I'd have to assume that bird is some type of goose, either a Cackling or Canada Goose (they look roughly the same). That's about the best I can figure from the picture. The only other options in that region would be some type of pelican, heron, egret, or swan. For obvious reasons, it's pretty clearly not a pelican or swan (the only dark swans around are roughly 9,000 miles away) and to be honest, I don't think any of the potential egret or heron varieties are likely to be on the side of a road or standing in that fashion.

As for the fish... If that's not a Lake Trout, it sure as hell is related to them.

Edit a few hours later...lol: Was looking it up again and while I'm still confident it's either a Canadian or Cackling Goose with some odd patterns, I came across one remote possibility, a Sandhill Crane.

Edit a few minutes following a few hours later: Nevermind, the website I found with pictures of Black Swans in Ontario was clearly misattributing some photos.
        Last edited by Flarfignuggen; 10-10-2011, 03:40 AM.

Comment

I took those pics with me yesterday and showed them to my barber, who is an avid hunter and fisherman. He said that, without a doubt, the fish is a female king salmon. So, I'm willing to trust him and lay that mystery to rest.

As for the bird, he said it reminded him of a snow goose or blue goose. Unfortunately, the coloring is wrong in both of those geese. Specterr, the coloring is is pretty close on those Brent's but, I think they are too small on average. Unless I happened upon the Andre the Giant Brent, I think it was a different type of bird. Hopefully I will see another one on my next trip and be able to snap better photo's of it. But, in case that doesn't happen, anyone else have any ideas?

p.s. I had found that whatbird.com website as well Flarfignuggen. Pretty cool site, if you're into birds that is. There's a similar website that's dedicated to identifying fish I had stumbled upon. fishbase.org. It's not as intuitive as whatbird.com, but still pretty neat.

Again, thanks for the help!

sigpic

Comment

I hope you ate that delicious king salmon :)

Comment

Why, yes. Yes I did.

I was kind of surprised at how light the taste was. It wasn't as salmony as I would've expected.

By the way, I forgot to post in this thread that one of my IHS mates father had identified the bird. Apparently it's a tundra swan.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X