No announcement yet.

One gamers history of multiplayer action...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One gamers history of multiplayer action...

This is a copy/paste post I made at SimHQ about one gamers history through computer gaming multiplayer action...

It started out as an article for Tactical Gamer, but was decided it wasn't right for "publishing", but since it does talk about Tactical Gamer, and what I have discovered as a new supporting member, especially while playing Battlefield 2 with you boyz, (and a few girlz), I'd thought I'd share it. It's purpose is feedback and comments on your first or best multiplayer experience...

copy/paste from SimHQ...

This is part of an article I was writing for another web site, we decided not to do it after all, but I thought it was a good topic for feedback on your first MP action, or your best MP moment... it's a long read, but it was suppose to be an article remember... I cut it down alot.

One gamers personal history of computer gaming multiplayer evolution...

Iíve been a PC gamer since the dawn of time; well at least I like to think so anyway. I remember my first Atari 2600, (ya, I knowÖ thatís a console), I remember getting my first PC; it was a Radio Shack TRS-80, that hooked to my TV and a tape drive to save your information. Then you would get a magazine with about 5 to 10 pages of code to type in, by hand. After you type it in, and only if you didnít make any syntax error mistakes, you ran the program. I even remember the first game I ever typed in and played, after about 8 to 10 hours of code, it was a racing game. My car was in the center, a big block, with four smaller blocks as wheels, and then the track moved left and right as you moved your car left and right to keep it in the centerÖ Wow, what game play, what graphics.

Then I moved on to a Commodore 64, the games got better, and I didnít have to type in the code, the games came on a cartridge, if I remember correctly. Then I joined the US Army, I went to Germany as my first duty station and bought the newest and latest PC, a Commodore 128D. I remember my squad leader and me sitting in my barracks room, loading and playing games like F15 Strike Eagle, Airborne Ranger, and Gunship 2000Ö Wow, what game play, what graphics, and it was the first taste of multiplay. Why multiplay, because games like F15 Strike Eagle and Gunship 2000 came with a key board card, and at the time it took one of us to fly with our joystick, a single stick with a single red button, and the other to hit the buttons on the keyboard that we needed. It was my first taste of cooperative game play.

Well Army life went on, for ten plus years, and my computer gaming days went to the wayside. The big thing at the time was the Sega Geneses, I remember playing Madden Football and Skins on a golf game for a buck a hole, and at about 4 players per game, taking turns, those bucks added up, advancement in multiplay.

After my 10 plus years in the Army, I settled down in beautiful Naples, Florida to start my new career. With my first paycheck from my new job I bought my first real PC computer, it came with a blazing 9600 speed modem, and I used AOL for my online connection. Still I mostly played single player games at the time, but then, I upgraded my PC to a 33k speed modem, and this is where I finally got my first taste of true multiplayer action.

I met a guy online, (that sounds so wrong), and I met him on Limechís forum, an old Janeís Combat Simulation community. We started talking; we each had two phone lines, one for our modem and one for phone use. We decided to connect modem to modem for a Co-Op game of my current, (and still my all time favorite) simulation, LONGBOW 2. We used our second lines to stay connected with our speaker phones. So from New York to Florida we had two connections going.

We started up Longbow 2, and we picked the same flight, I would be number one, and he would be my wingman. We continued to fly side by side to our assigned waypoints, talking over our speaker phones, we reached the objective and together using pop up and scan maneuvers destroyed the enemy. We then turned to fly back home to base. We were flying nap of the Earth but some how got separated, I then heard him calling over the speaker phone for help, he was being chased by two enemy choppers, I searched desperately to find him but couldnít for what seemed to be for eternity. Eventually I crested this ridge line and saw the most imaging thing on a PC screen so far. My wingy was flying through a valley, zig zagging left and right, while two enemy HINDS prepared to engage him. I popped up and fired my last sidewinder missile at the tail HIND. It was a beautiful hit as he floated down to earth in a thunderous crash. I encouraged my wingy to keep jinxing, I then attempted to line up a perfect shot on the lead enemy HIND, but realized I had no more sidewinders; I had to get him with guns. I attempted a couple burst but missed, all a while my wingy began to yell over the speaker phone for me to clear his tail. I finally got close enough for a good gun kill, and with a couple burst of 20mm, the second HIND went down in flames. My wingman was thanking and praising me, my heart rate which had increased, started to come back down, and as we continued to our home base, talking and laughing about our first multiplayer modem to modem game, an enemy fast mover came out of no where and within no time we were both holes in the ground. We laughed and celebrated for a few more minutes, and right then and there, I knew that multiplayer, one day, would be a big part of computer gaming.

Fast forward quite a few more years, and a few more computer systems, to my current state of the art Dell XPS, and computer gaming has indeed become big, and multiplayer practically mainstream now.

I never was into clans, squadrons, or anything like that. I tried a couple but big head leaders with too many rules seem to take away from the fun of multiplayer computer gaming. I then became a member of a small but active gaming group called the Military Gaming Group (, or in short MGG. MGG is a small gaming group of current and ex-military members who like to play computer games. Weíve been around for just over five years, with pretty much the same members. We were big into the original Rouge Spear game and then Ghost Recon, and then later Americaís Army, and other current games. We donít play just one game, or even one gender of game. Being a small but active group for over five years had made us a small group of great friends, who most have never met each other face to face. But they are my brothers, my friends. I am always a member of MGG, but with the war on terror going on almost all of MGGís members are current overseas fighting the war. Thou my heart and soul is with them, and what they do is thousands and thousands of times more important then my computer gaming, it has left a void. I have been playing more and more single player games then ever before since 9/11 and the aftermath.

I didnít want to get into clans again, like I said earlier, they serve a purpose, but usually there into one game, with one goal, and leaders, and wanna be leaders, seem to create conflict within the group and things happen. So I started my own web site called The Battlefield Connection, itís purpose was for individual gamers that didnít have the time or energy for clans or squadrons, to have a place to meet and multiplay together when and if you wanted to. It was a good idea, but after four months of testing, it didnít work out and I ended the web site and community.

SWAT 4 then came out and I desperately searched for a group to co-op with but met with little luck, I did team up with a number of gamers that are regular visitors here at SimHQ, ( for an occasional game, but nothing substantial.

Then Battlefield 2 was released. I had visited and shared an occasional post of information on the Tactical Gamer web site, (, but knew that to properly play Battlefield 2; I needed to find a gaming group. I first tried a couple open servers but quit in disgust after the total lack of teamwork and organization. I was seriously considering giving up on Battlefield 2, especially since Iíve never been a big fan of run and gun games. I bought and played Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam, but just because, I prefer games with a little more realism like Americaís Army, Ghost Recon, and SWAT 4.

Then one evening, I saw a tactical gamer open server, and since Iíve visited the site and talked with a couple of members before, I thought Iíd give it a try. I was immediately impressed when I was told that I would be kicked if I didnít join a squad, by the automatic server warning system, so I quickly joined the first one with an opening. I reported in and was welcomed; I was briefed and starting getting orders immediately. I followed my orders and we worked extremely well as a squad. It was just so cool to see my squad working on an objective, and seeing other squads supporting us, or flanking our enemy. I knew that there had to be a commanding officer, giving orders to the different squads to assist and support each other. The squad leader would request supplies, artillery, and UAV support, and shortly after the request, came the requested items. I really felt like a member of the squad, and felt like our squad was just a small part of the big picture, a part of the battlefield. Well after 3 or 4 maps, I was very impressed, but wasnít sure if it was because of the server, gaming group, or just luck of finding a good game. Then the next night I tried the tactical gamer server again, and again I found the team work. Well the commander left after a map, so I thought Iíd give it a try. I was amazed at the squad leaders that continued to report in and send request, I was even more impressed that the squad leaders and there squads seemed willing to follow my orders, even when I wasnít making the most tactically sound choices sometimes. They at least gave me the benefit of dough and let me command. I did the best I could, but failed in my mission. Hey, it was the first time. Since that time I have played as the commander a few more times since, both with wins and losses. Iím learning.

I had the best time as a squad leader, my men supported me, and they followed my orders. It was hard to lead from the rear but that is how the game must be played. I would receive my orders from the commander and move my men along a well hidden area, like woods or behind buildings on a flank. I would find a nice spot and take up a prone position. That way my squad members could re-spawn quickly on me and re-join the fight. It worked well, I could verbally tell my troops what I saw and where, I could call in the proper support from the commander, and if my men met a nasty virtual death, then they quickly spawned on me and was back in the game. I encouraged my troops with messages of thanks and good work, and in return a couple commented on how well of a squad leader I was. Pride was heavy for my squad. We accomplished our assigned task and all enjoyed the game.

Then I had the complete weekend off, the wife and kids left for a small three day vacation, so I spent more then 24 hours in a total of 72 hours time playing Battlefield 2. All played on tactical gamer servers and every game was just as good as the ones before.

So what I've learned in the last few years of multiplayer action is that the best friends, the best buddy to buddy multiplayer comes from small groups like the Military Gaming Group, While bigger more battlefield action comes from large groups like Tactical Gamer who have a hugh personal pool, but the friendships aren't as strong or great as a small group.

Both serve a great purpose, and I'm glad to have moved from a modem to modem connection of Longbow 2, too a high speed broadband cable connection with games like Battlefield 2, America's Army and SWAT4.

See you on the vBattlefields.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: One gamers history of multiplayer action...

Great article. Thanks for posting it.
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Actually, Magnum isn't being totally accurate.

I thought that the piece stood on its own, as an Op-ed, whereas other members of the editorial team thought it could be a little more game specific or was too personal.

So Magnum withdrew it. I was pushing to post it here.

Rincewind confirms my opinion of Magnum's piece. Do you doubt my editorial acumen?

It's too long for the front page of TG, but it's a very nice read. It definitely needs to be published somewhere!
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Originally posted by CingularDuality
          It's too long for the front page of TG, but it's a very nice read. It definitely needs to be published somewhere!
          It is, over on SimHQ. :row__687:

That was a good read, cheers.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed